Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > The Academy
Login

Lt. Commander
# 11
03-20-2012, 08:59 AM
I use a Razor Blackwidow keyboard and a Razor Naga mouse. Both are excellent and programmable allowing key binds, macros, game mode or regular mode and more options for MMO controls. Price isn't all that bad.
Lt. Commander
# 12
03-21-2012, 05:12 PM
First off, stay away from joysticks with MMO's. The only one out that is actually built for a joystick is DC Universe Online, because it's a port from the PS3. STO supports joysticks but it is very limited. The G13 is a good suggestion as is the Razer Nostromo Gaming Pad, a similar product. I too am i the market for a keyboard, and have really come to the conclusion that all I need is a basic no frills $10 Logitech keyboard.

I recently purchased the Razer Naga mouse. This has 12 buttons on the side set up for your skill bar. Took me about 2 weeks to get used to, but once I did, I don't know how I lived without it. The only thing I use my keyboard for is hitting the tab key to cycle through targets. Oh, and shift occasionally to run. Movement, camera, and skills are all done by my mouse.
Lt. Commander
# 13
03-24-2012, 11:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus92 View Post
I recently purchased the Razer Naga mouse. This has 12 buttons on the side set up for your skill bar. Took me about 2 weeks to get used to, but once I did, I don't know how I lived without it. The only thing I use my keyboard for is hitting the tab key to cycle through targets. Oh, and shift occasionally to run. Movement, camera, and skills are all done by my mouse.
Is it possible to map one of the function keys on that mouse to mimic holding down the right and left mouse buttons so you can steer the ship with the mouse without having to hold the buttons down? Just toggle the side button on or off?
Lt. Commander
# 14
03-24-2012, 03:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus92 View Post
First off, stay away from joysticks with MMO's. The only one out that is actually built for a joystick is DC Universe Online, because it's a port from the PS3. STO supports joysticks but it is very limited. The G13 is a good suggestion as is the Razer Nostromo Gaming Pad, a similar product. I too am i the market for a keyboard, and have really come to the conclusion that all I need is a basic no frills $10 Logitech keyboard.

when you a game mouse your are not really moving it around your desk are you or point and clicking your panle manually are you? My fear is my cam would be all over the place not mention sore wrists.
Lt. Commander
# 15 Logitech dual action keybinds
05-11-2012, 07:12 AM
Recently another user contacted me through in game mail asking that I help him with some basic keybinds for the Logitech Dual action controller. He had some specific button requests however I informed him that what he wanted did not allow use of the tray commands through the controller, which kind of defeats the purpose using the controller.

So I designed this little guide to set up a Dual Action, and most likely any similar controller to get the most functionality out of it.

First off while using the controller it's actually counterproductive to use what's called "Tab" targeting the controller lends itself to a more point and shoot method, also the default controller buttons for tabbing are overwritten to use them for tray commands. So it will act now as a point and shoot mode with these settings, which I find works very well.

Very Important: On the controller tab of options, enable joysticks and disable360 controller

Just use the following settings for space:

http://imgur.com/tG3Uv

and these for ground:

http://imgur.com/cpMFN

OK now on to the binds

I happen to use the 3 by 10 power tray for this controller setup in space and the 2 by 10 on ground.
We'll discuss the space setup first

First Throttle Control:

Dpad Left = Full Impulse
Dpad Up = Throttle up
Dpad Down = Throttle down
Dpad Right = Toggle throttle / Full Stop

Reversing is done by throtting down past stop

Shields use a combination of the Left trigger (7 button on the controller) and the d-pad with one exception

Left trigger + Dpad up = Front shields
Left trigger + Dpad back = Rear shields
Left trigger + Dpad left = Left shields
Left trigger + Dpad right = Right shields
Left Trigger + Right Trigger = Balance Shields

Now since we will be using autofire for this there is only one button combo needed to open fire when combat begins I have this set so pressing to Left and Right shoulder buttons (5 and 6) together is the same as tapping the space bar, Fire all weapons.

Also before I go any further make sure you have autofire enabled for the weapons by right clicking each weapon in the weapons tray, I also personally like to move these from the skills tray to one of the hidden lines in the skills tray. this opens up more slots for skills.

Now onto the skills themselves.

The skill tray is broken down into six five button sections, 3 left 3 right

The 1 - 4 buttons correspond to the same tray positions. You may ask "what about the 5th one?" The answer is simple... for that we use the button in the Right control stick.

That sets up the first tray skills... but what about other 25 tray skills?

Simple by using the left and right trigger and shoulder buttons along with the 1 - 4 and right stick button it enables the skills the same as if you used ctrl or alt on the keyboard with the Triggers (7 and 8) acting as control and Shoulder buttons (5 and 6) for alt. Each one controlling it's side of the tray.

You may have noticed I missed the skills on the right side of the bottom line of the skills tray.
I wanted to save this for last in this section. This is where the button in the left stick comes into play, by holding it down it enables the commands on the lower right side.

I've also set up the start and select buttons (9 and 10) to act as various functions: These work in both space and on ground.

Select (9) = Scan
Start (10) = Interact (same as pressing the "F" key on keyboard)
Left Shoulder + Start (5 + 10) Inventory
Left Trigger + Start (7 + 10) Character status screen
Left Shoulder + Select (5 + 9) Map
Left Trigger + Select (7 +9) Missions

A couple of other things that are enabled:

Holding the dpad right and pressing the 3 and 4 (X and Y) buttons is the same as fire all phasers and fire all torpedos respectively, you rarely need to use this though as you will most likely be using autofire mode.

Also the dpad and right trigger select the various power presets, to use them hold the right trigger and press the dpad in the desired direction.

Up = Shields
Left = Attack
Down = Balanced
Right = Speed

Now onto ground:

First enable Ground autofire by right clicking the 1 and 2 attack slots. Do not right click number 3, the melee attack, as it does weird things when in autofire like making you attack empty air.

Another Important thing: Shooter mode (B key on keyboard) disables ground autofire so I suggest not using it.

Movement is of course controlled by the Left joystick, allowing for forward, backward and turning left or right.
Strafing if needed and looking up/down is done with the Right joystick.

Switching the active weapon is done by pressing the d-pad left, holstering by pressing it right, up is aim mode, down is crouch.

Run mode is activated by the Left shoulder (5) button, jumping is done with the Right shoulder (6) button

The ground tray uses the 2 by 10 skill tray, which is preset 2 and the 1-4 and right stick buttons and left stick button for right bottom tray much like the space setup. with the left and right triggers controlling the upper line left and right sides.

For example Left trigger + 1 (A button) used the skill in upper line slot 1, right trigger + 2 uses the skill in upper line slot 7, Left stick button + 4 = Bottom line slot 9, Both joystick buttons lower tray slot 10 etc.

OK now onto the actual binds:

I'm not going to list the individual /bind commands here as that would be a waste of your time, and mine as I already had to type them all in the command line in game. Instead what's listed below are the actual files the game uses for the binds. Simply Copy then and paste them into notepad with the names space.txt and ground.txt and then saving them to the C:\Users\Public\Games\Cryptic Studios\Star Trek Online\Live folder

Once in game go to the keybinds tab of the options screen and select either space or ground and type to following in the chat box:

/bind_load_file space.txt

for space

and

/bind_load_file ground.txt

for ground

First Space:

Joystick2_Left "+left"
Joystick2_Right "+right"
Joypad_Up "throttleadjust .25"
Joypad_Down "throttleadjust -.25"
Joypad_Left "GenSendMessage Throttle_FullImpulse_Button FullThrottle"
Joy1 "Interactwindow"
Joy2 "ScanForClickies"
Joy4 "UseTrayslot0 4"
Joy11 "UseTraySlot0 2"
Joy12 "UseTraySlot0 3"
Bb "UseTraySlot0 1"
Ab "UseTraySlot0 0"
Joy11+joy7 "UseTraySlot1 2"
Joy12+joy7 "UseTraySlot1 3"
Bb+joy7 "UseTraySlot1 1"
Ab+joy7 "UseTraySlot1 0"
Joy7+joy4 "UseTrayslot1 4"
Joy11+joy5 "UseTraySlot2 2"
Joy12+joy5 "UseTraySlot2 3"
Bb+joy5 "UseTraySlot2 1"
Ab+joy5 "UseTraySlot2 0"
Joy5+joy4 "UseTrayslot2 4"
Joy8+joy4 "UseTrayslot1 9"
Joy11+joy8 "UseTraySlot1 7"
Joy12+joy8 "UseTraySlot1 8"
Bb+joy8 "UseTraySlot1 6"
Ab+joy8 "UseTraySlot1 5"
Joy11+joy6 "UseTraySlot2 7"
Joy12+joy6 "UseTraySlot2 8"
Bb+joy6 "UseTraySlot2 6"
Ab+joy6 "UseTraySlot2 5"
Joy6 "(null)"
Joy6+joy4 "UseTrayslot2 9"
Joy4+joy3 "UseTrayslot0 9"
Joy11+joy3 "UseTraySlot0 7"
Joy12+joy3 "UseTraySlot0 8"
Bb+joy3 "UseTraySlot0 6"
Ab+joy3 "UseTraySlot0 5"
Joypad_Right+joy11 "GenSendMessage HUD_Root FirePhasers"
Joypad_Right+joy12 "GenSendMessage HUD_Root FireTorps"
Joypad_Right+bb "(null)"
Joypad_Right+ab "(null)"
Joy7+joy7 "(null)"
Joy8+joy7 "+power_exec Distribute_Shields"
Joy8 "(null)"
Lbutton "(null)"
Joypad_Up+joy7 "+power_exec Reroute_Shields_Forward"
Joypad_Left+joy7 "+power_exec Reroute_Shields_Left"
Joypad_Right+joy7 "+power_exec Reroute_Shields_right"
Joy7 "(null)"
Joypad_Down+joy7 "+power_exec Reroute_Shields_Rear"
Down "(null)"
Joypad_Right "throttletoggle"
Joy5 "(null)"
Joy6+joy5 "GenSendMessage HUD_Root FireAll"
Joypad_Left+joy8 "StatsPreset_Load Preset_1"
Joypad_Up+joy8 "StatsPreset_Load Preset_2"
Joypad_Right+joy8 "StatsPreset_Load Preset_3"
Joypad_Down+joy8 "StatsPreset_Load Preset_4"
Multiply ""
Joy5+joy2 "Map"
Joy5+joy1 "Inventory"
Joy7+joy2 "Missions"
Joy7+joy1 "CharacterStatus"
Joy6+joy1 "Skills"
Rtrigger+start "Dutyofficer"

Ground:

Joystick2_Left "+left"
Joystick2_Right "+right"
Joypad_Up "+aim"
Joypad_Down "+crouch"
Joypad_Left "GenSendMessage Inventory_Root SwitchActiveWeapon"
Joy1 "Interactwindow"
Joy2 "ScanForClickies"
Joy4 "UseTrayslot0 4"
Joy11 "UseTraySlot0 2"
Joy12 "UseTraySlot0 3"
Bb "UseTraySlot0 1"
Ab "UseTraySlot0 0"
Joy11+joy7 "UseTraySlot1 2"
Joy12+joy7 "UseTraySlot1 3"
Bb+joy7 "UseTraySlot1 1"
Ab+joy7 "UseTraySlot1 0"
Joy7+joy4 "UseTrayslot1 4"
Joy11+joy5 "UseTraySlot2 2"
Joy12+joy5 "UseTraySlot2 3"
Bb+joy5 "UseTraySlot2 1"
Ab+joy5 "UseTraySlot2 0"
Joy5+joy4 "UseTrayslot2 4"
Joy8+joy4 "UseTrayslot1 9"
Joy11+joy8 "UseTraySlot1 7"
Joy12+joy8 "UseTraySlot1 8"
Bb+joy8 "UseTraySlot1 6"
Ab+joy8 "UseTraySlot1 5"
Joy11+joy6 "UseTraySlot2 7"
Joy12+joy6 "UseTraySlot2 8"
Bb+joy6 "UseTraySlot2 6"
Ab+joy6 "UseTraySlot2 5"
Joy6 "+up"
Joy6+joy4 "UseTrayslot2 9"
Joy4+joy3 "UseTrayslot0 9"
Joy11+joy3 "UseTraySlot0 7"
Joy12+joy3 "UseTraySlot0 8"
Bb+joy3 "UseTraySlot0 6"
Ab+joy3 "UseTraySlot0 5"
Joypad_Right+joy11 "GenSendMessage HUD_Root FirePhasers"
Joypad_Right+joy12 "GenSendMessage HUD_Root FireTorps"
Joypad_Right+bb "(null)"
Joypad_Right+ab "(null)"
Joy7+joy7 "(null)"
Joy8+joy7 "+power_exec Distribute_Shields"
Joy8 "(null)"
Lbutton "(null)"
Joypad_Up+joy7 "+power_exec Reroute_Shields_Forward"
Joypad_Left+joy7 "+power_exec Reroute_Shields_Left"
Joypad_Right+joy7 "+power_exec Reroute_Shields_right"
Joy7 "(null)"
Joypad_Down+joy7 "+power_exec Reroute_Shields_Rear"
Down "(null)"
Joypad_Right "HolsterToggle"
Joy5 "+run"
Joy6+joy5 "GenSendMessage HUD_Root FireAll"
Joypad_Left+joy8 "StatsPreset_Load Preset_1"
Joypad_Up+joy8 "StatsPreset_Load Preset_2"
Joypad_Right+joy8 "StatsPreset_Load Preset_3"
Joypad_Down+joy8 "StatsPreset_Load Preset_4"
Multiply ""
Joy5+joy2 "Map"
Joy5+joy1 "Inventory"
Joy7+joy1 "CharacterStatus"
Joy7+joy2 "Missions"
Rtrigger+start "Dutyofficer"

There is one thing I couldn't map to the controller, however and that is the minigames that use the keyboard arrow keys such as anomalies and the asteroid mining mini game. Apparently mapping of these keys is hardwired into the game, otherwise I would have added a d-pad combo for these.

Where you put the individual skills in the trays is of course up to you.

These binds should work for the dual action and any similar controller.
Lt. Commander
# 16
05-11-2012, 08:37 AM
I use the steelseries merc stealth. It has a separate WSAD layout (big, comfy buttons) with 11 number buttons and a great number of other buttons set up comfortably around the WSAD. It also has backlighting with three color options you can swap as you feel like.

The software allows you to make profiles for different games and change the button bindings. It also allows to make simple macros if you will. When I bought it it cost me 69 euros and has been of great value.