Lt. Commander
# 1 Calling all you Mech Heads
03-19-2012, 10:57 PM
I know I'm not alone here. and Since I doubt I am I thought I'd mention
MW: O
Mech Warrior Online.
MWOMERCS.com

Looks interesting, its F2P out this summerish. Lots of info on the site. Hope that a few of you find it as interesting and enjoyable as I did. MW has been one of my long standing game "loves"
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-19-2012, 10:59 PM
I'm still saying they need more Unseen.
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-19-2012, 11:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chat
I'm still saying they need more Unseen.
As soon as one of those promos shows an Unseen I will go from happy to ecstatic.

Of course since its 3049 setting I imagine most people will be playing Clan mechs anyways.
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-19-2012, 11:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginaMala View Post
As soon as one of those promos shows an Unseen I will go from happy to ecstatic.

Of course since its 3049 setting I imagine most people will be playing Clan mechs anyways.
I'm not sure if you got the joke.

The first trailer featured Unseen and they nearly killed the game by doing so.
They are Unseen for a reason, no? :p
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-19-2012, 11:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chat
I'm not sure if you got the joke.

The first trailer featured Unseen and they nearly killed the game by doing so.
They are Unseen for a reason, no? :p
The one from a couple years ago with a Warhammer? I thought that was for the killed MechWarrior 5, a different game. The MWO stuff I've seen has only shown an Atlas, Jenner, and Hunchback. So either I missed something, or I'm a doof and one of those 3 is Unseen as well (which is entirely possible; its been a while)?
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-19-2012, 11:34 PM
Quote:
The one from a couple years ago with a Warhammer? I thought that was for the killed MechWarrior 5, a different game. The MWO stuff I've seen has only shown an Atlas, Jenner, and Hunchback. So either I missed something, or I'm a doof and one of those 3 is Unseen as well (which is entirely possible; its been a while)?
Mechwarrior Online is the Mechwarrior 5.
Or used to be rather. MW5 died because of the Unseen and from the ashes MWO rised.
More or less.

And because of that I can't find myself actively interested in MWO.
I mean by all means... If people call Cryptic incompetent what do you call a developer foolish enough to use Unseen in their promo material? :p
Maybe if they add Trebaruna or some other quad I'll get interested again. Until then... They obviously need more Unseen.
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-19-2012, 11:59 PM
Quote:
The trailer that you guys are talking about was for a concept of the game that was going to be a single player campaign/multiplayer PvP game set in the year 3015. Over the years they've changed plans, and now we actually have three (THREE!!!) MechWarrior/Battletech games coming out this year! They are (I'm just listing and describing them here, but I suggest Googling these or looking them up on YouTube):
  • MechWarrior Online: MMO-sim set in the year 3048/3049. Players can take the role of a House faction or Mercenary MechWarrior and fight for control of the planets of the Inner Sphere.
    • This game will be F2P
    • uses CryEngine3
    • fully detailed cockpits with functional rendered MFDs in addition to the HUD (the cockpit you see in the trailers is the in-game cockpit)
    • Matches look to be 12 v 12 battles
    • You level up individual 'Mech Chassis (sort of like how you level up tanks in World of Tanks) to unlock variants of those chassis.
    • There is more of an emphasis on information and role wafare in this game unlike in previous MW titles where players just piled on as much armor and weapons they could and blasted the snot out of each other. This should give players reasons to pilot things other than the big giant assault mechs at higher levels.
  • MechWarrior: Tactics: This is a asynchronous turn-based strategy game set in 3025. (think Frozen Synapse or Words with Friends for how asynchronous turn-based games work)
    • It's also probably the closest I've seen to the original tabletop/miniatures game from a professional company. Even the maps are hex-based like the original game!
    • Each player takes their turn (movement phase, firing phase), when the turn is over they get a little cutscene of the events of that turn. When the game is complete, the cutscenes are combined and you get a movie of your entire match!
    • The game is also F2P and browser-based, meaning you can play it pretty much anywhere you can get internet
    • You can have as many games open with as many other players as you want (although I'm sure there's a limit based on how many 'mechs and pilots you have available {you start with a lance but can buy/earn more}) and games can last for however long you want.
    • You can gain loot from single and multiplayer combat (although multiplayer combat will always give better loot)
    • Fully functional MechLab lets you customize your 'Mechs. Changes to Weapons loadout changes your 'mechs appearance!
    • point-based matches keep the sides balanced.
  • MechWarrior: Tactical Command: This is an RTS (like MechCommander) for the iOS (iPad & iPhone) set during the Clan Invasion of 3050

EDIT: Also, it's been stated several times on the MW:O forums from the devs that the "Unseen" is not an issue. They didn't get any sort of gruff over the Warhammer image in the MW 3015 concept trailer.
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-20-2012, 12:07 AM
Quote:

The Clans didn't arrive in the Inner Sphere until 3050. They are purposefully setting the game before the Clans arrive.
Lt. Commander
# 9
03-20-2012, 12:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Direphoenix View Post
The Clans didn't arrive in the Inner Sphere until 3050. They are purposefully setting the game before the Clans arrive.
Well they didn't get to the Inner Sphere proper till 3050, but they first hit the Periphery when they attacked The Rock on August 13, 3049 (had my original Tech Readout 3050 handy). So we're both right. Yay.
Lt. Commander
# 10
03-20-2012, 06:00 AM
Well, you can't play as ComStar, so I'm out! :p