Go Back   Star Trek Online > Fleet Administrative Station > Earth Spacedock
Login

Lt. Commander
# 21
03-22-2012, 01:27 PM
With F2P and it easy to just create a new account and use fleets for not-so-nice reasons a lot of fleets have bumped up security, screening and recruiting methods in order to find the right fleet members.
Fleet bank looting is on the rise and many people are joining the fleets without looking into what the fleet is all about.

Our fleet is for mature (30+) members and we are more of a social fleet. So without the people coming through the website application process we have no way of knowing if they are appropriate. Plus we get them signed up on the forums and get to know a little bit more about them at the same time.

If you find a fleet you like, take the time to read up on if they are compatible and then follow the appropriate steps to join that fleet. There are lots of fleets out there just throwing around blind invitations hoping that one out of a hundred actually sticks but most real fleet consider this tactic SPAM and not-so-appropriate behaviour. Others think it is fine

Good luck finding a home!
Lt. Commander
# 22
03-22-2012, 02:57 PM
Well, if you're still looking for a fleet, we're always looking for new members. We have many different rolls and support pretty much any play style you like.

PM me in game if your interested @QBSneak
Lt. Commander
# 23
03-22-2012, 03:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by James_Bailey
Our fleet is for mature (30+) members and we are more of a social fleet. So without the people coming through the website application process we have no way of knowing if they are appropriate. Plus we get them signed up on the forums and get to know a little bit more about them at the same time.

!
I am all for pre-screening with the recruitment desk manned by a real live human being with a canon-style code of conduct and expectations plain for all to see on a well designed website.

It's a necessary evil in a time where people can happily flood my inbox with RP requests, contribute to no RP, make a show out of 'specially crafting' worthless common equipment as 'special favours' (wtf, white equips don't even REQUIRE crafting, get out) and wonder why I goad them to ragequit the next week because I do need the channel cleared of idlers and malcontents for the benefit of my content producers' and clients' security.

To think, that in this age where you can do a hundred and one things for people and there will be a certain fraction of an unregulated demographic that still insists on replying to Fleet managers' goodwill with domestic strongarm tactics. While kicking them out the nearest airlock is mildly entertaining in the Cardassian fashion. some sort of early warning will be good for time-saving purposes.

I say bring on the old school interviews and the background checks. You never know what the cat left at the door today. Is the package as innocent as it looks, or is there a terrorist threat ready to bloom with the next application of 'generous warmth!'
Lt. Commander
# 24
03-22-2012, 03:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmenara
I am all for pre-screening with the recruitment desk manned by a real live human being with a canon-style code of conduct and expectations plain for all to see on a well designed website.

It's a necessary evil in a time where people can happily flood my inbox with RP requests, contribute to no RP, make a show out of 'specially crafting' worthless common equipment as 'special favours' (wtf, white equips don't even REQUIRE crafting, get out) and wonder why I goad them to ragequit the next week because I do need the channel cleared of idlers and malcontents for the benefit of my content producers' and clients' security.

To think, that in this age where you can do a hundred and one things for people and there will be a certain fraction of an unregulated demographic that still insists on replying to Fleet managers' goodwill with domestic strongarm tactics. While kicking them out the nearest airlock is mildly entertaining in the Cardassian fashion. some sort of early warning will be good for time-saving purposes.

I say bring on the old school interviews and the background checks. You never know what the cat left at the door today. Is the package as innocent as it looks, or is there a terrorist threat ready to bloom with the next application of 'generous warmth!'
I think when you have a specific theme to your fleet you have already eliminated lots of people that may not be compatible. I like to make the assumption that every applicant is exactly like me and thinks the same way as I do and finds me irresistibly funny. It is by the application that I see how wrong they actually are

On a personal note, I love the way you are able to put words together and make it flow like a great artist with a painting masterpiece. It makes me happy to read.
Lt. Commander
# 25
03-22-2012, 06:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by James_Bailey
On a personal note, I love the way you are able to put words together and make it flow like a great artist with a painting masterpiece. It makes me happy to read.
The next thing I'm putting together is a campaign plan for a military RPed 5 year (5 season rather) mission of exploration with a task force of 3 or 4 other Galaxy Class captains to prove that you do not need a thousand man fleet to generate authentic TNG - era fiction writing, nor does anyone need to roll dice or wait 3 weeks for character bios to be approved.

Why do RPers have to face such crappy bureaucracy? Everyone 'roleplays' in a certain extent by logging on here to play a military officer and undertakes military-themed tasks in STO. RP groups should harness this basic concept, not turn STO into DnD in space.

Whichever Fleet can work with me to create a working and newbie-friendly Task Force Battle Order (fully text based) for use in elite teamplay and STFs, and support said naval strategy with solid fanfiction writing is going to earn a lot of prestige redefining the standard of STO roleplaying from sitting at Quark's to writing Honor Harrington style novelettes.

(For the record, my group's text based comms are more efficient than voice thanks to something called mutual respect, "strategic Corporal" doctrine and paramilitary professionalism. Doubters will be sent to the nearest airlock)

A quantum leap to be sure, but if some housewives and a secretary can acheve that level EASILY in a non-fleet setting in our free time... so can everyone else if they make the effort to embrace innovation to counter adversity.

The fact that what I propose takes absolutely no time constraint and no special management other than 'play the game, look out for your wingman, and have fun in the shoes of Picard" should be enough to prove that it's not a skill problem, not a player problem, but community mindset.
Lt. Commander
# 26
03-23-2012, 01:15 AM
Becoming a member of a fleet can be difficult. Because YOU must find the fleet that fits you the best. We don't know you and a few words on a thread doesn't say much.

Those who post "Looking for a Fleet" threads are the players who don't really want to take the time to research the various fleets. There are many very good fleets in STO, BUT YOU must find that one which fits your criteria for enjoyment. Happy fleet members are those who have joined together in a common bond. It is your turn to look at them. Any fleet that just pops invitations to any ship without a fleet identification is probably not a fleet you want.

Fleets have done the work of creating an environment. Now it is the individuals job to do the work it takes in finding their place.
Lt. Commander
# 27
03-23-2012, 01:32 AM
Quote:
The next thing I'm putting together is a campaign plan for a military RPed 5 year (5 season rather) mission of exploration with a task force of 3 or 4 other Galaxy Class captains to prove that you do not need a thousand man fleet to generate authentic TNG - era fiction writing, nor does anyone need to roll dice or wait 3 weeks for character bios to be approved.

Why do RPers have to face such crappy bureaucracy?

Everyone 'roleplays' in a certain extent by logging on here to play a military officer and undertakes military-themed tasks in STO. RP groups should harness this basic concept, not turn STO into DnD in space.

Whichever Fleet can work with me to create a working and newbie-friendly Task Force Battle Order (fully text based) for use in elite teamplay and STFs, and support said naval strategy with solid fanfiction writing is going to earn a lot of prestige redefining the standard of STO roleplaying from sitting at Quark's to writing Honor Harrington style novelettes.

(For the record, my group's text based comms are more efficient than voice thanks to something called mutual respect, "strategic Corporal" doctrine and paramilitary professionalism. Doubters will be sent to the nearest airlock)

A quantum leap to be sure, but if some housewives and a secretary can acheve that level EASILY in a non-fleet setting in our free time... so can everyone else if they make the effort to embrace innovation to counter adversity.

The fact that what I propose takes absolutely no time constraint and no special management other than 'play the game, look out for your wingman, and have fun in the shoes of Picard" should be enough to prove that it's not a skill problem, not a player problem, but community mindset.
Crappy Role Playing has a lot to do with today's MMO culture. There is a mix between old school table top role playing and today's Video Game enthusiast. Video Gamers don't want the character to character dialogue; just shoot the bad guy, perform your specific role within the team (healers must only be healers and nothing else), and super buffs.

In creating your missions (battlefield scenes) remember that each faction (even those not playable in STO) have different tactics.

1. Federation well we know their tactic
2. Klingons aggressive and a combination of quick strike or heavy pounding and durable vessels that can fight alone or in teams.

3, Romulans have high technology, advanced weapons, and stand alone capabilities. Fast vessels but not the durability of the KDF.

4. Cardassians have a disadvantage in single combat, but excel in large formations. Heavy durability, hard hitting, but slower vessels. (why STO gave the galor strong shields and less ship hull HPs is beyond me; I would have thought the concept is reversed. technology lacks (thus weaker shields), but tough as nails and takes a while to take down.
Lt. Commander
# 28
03-23-2012, 02:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nador_Ekoor View Post
Becoming a member of a fleet can be difficult. Because YOU must find the fleet that fits you the best. We don't know you and a few words on a thread doesn't say much.

Those who post "Looking for a Fleet" threads are the players who don't really want to take the time to research the various fleets. There are many very good fleets in STO, BUT YOU must find that one which fits your criteria for enjoyment. Happy fleet members are those who have joined together in a common bond. It is your turn to look at them. Any fleet that just pops invitations to any ship without a fleet identification is probably not a fleet you want.

Fleets have done the work of creating an environment. Now it is the individuals job to do the work it takes in finding their place.
One tip here is to have an open mind and be proactive.

Face it, everyone has bad experiences.

And also try to look around and make enquiries directly with Fleet managers - poke around their websites to see if they are the right bunch of people you seek. Be prepared to do some virtual hiring and firing yourself - fleets that ignore, delay or even abuse you upon application are just depriving themselves of a good Captain like yourself. Not your loss!

There are certain organizations that shine above the rest. Find them, and like the quoted post states - never, ever rely on in-game recruitment. Sure you might be filling forms for some time but remember, it works both ways. Use the recruitment process to know your recruiter and see if he or she is up to the task bringing active Fleet content to you.

If not, you can always go to their rivals, it's as simple as that.
Lt. Commander
# 29
03-23-2012, 03:31 AM
Quote:
. Be prepared to do some virtual hiring and firing .
Does this mean I'm fired??
Lt. Commander
# 30
03-23-2012, 06:33 AM
Quote:
I don't understand.
I'm admiral. I have 5465 accolade points.
I played 90 STF. I played all of episode.
But when I ask people invite me in their own fleet. They say no. They don't send invitation.
What's the requirment to become members of fleet?

Depends.

Corgatag summed it well up with

Quote:
My thoughts on why you were rejected:
- It was an exclusive fleet (must apply through a website or get noticed by a recruiter)
- It was personal fleet (a fleet bank for one player's horde of alts)
- It was a private fleet (a group of IRL friends or coworkers)
- You asked the wrong fleet member
- You didn't ask politely enough (or you implied that you weren't willing to fill out an application or go through the trial process)
to add
- Some only invite just to un-invite days later too, seen that in various MMORPGs. Pretty much just aimed to beef up numbers.

Afaik, STF/PVE orientated Fleets will contact you if you perform well in a STF; like using Tractor Beam Repulsors to keep probes away in the Khitomer STF etc.

In your case, I would just try to contact the right person of a desired fleet. Even better, count on friends you met ingame or who you know in RL and are playing STO as well.
While I am sure you are annoyed about the results at the moment and thus posted this thread, I feel I should toss this in:

Remember, having a fleet may be cool but don't feel like it is always your fault.
Some are simply douchy - some really are too full or you simply did not fit the requirements.
Don't degrade yourself about it. Personally, I'm sure you did things right.

In the end, it is better off that you did not land in those fleets as they are simply showing the real face .