Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Ten Forward
Login

Lt. Commander
A friend of mine recently linked her Cryptic account to PWE. Recently, as in a day ago.

This morning (PST time) her account was compromised and $100 was charged to her credit card.

As of now I'm terminating my STO subscription and with the recent keylogging threat on STOWiki, I would advise others to take the necessary security measures immediately.

She has submitted a PWE ticket but as usual, I don't expect any quick reply to said report.
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-14-2012, 02:50 PM
So the thread starts with pointing a finger at the linking of accounts being the bad guy.
Then ends with the blame being put on STOWiki.

Kinda weird, but it's hip and fashionable so I like it. :p

Beside that... Send a ticket named HACKED to support.
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-14-2012, 03:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmenara
As of now I'm terminating my STO subscription
*sigh* Well, luckily I have no idea how to link my account.

If you'd like to keep chatting with several of the people here, you can register on 10ites.com.
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-14-2012, 04:50 PM
Hi carmenara,

I am so sorry to hear your friend had their account hacked; we take the security of your payment information very seriously.

Let me reassure you that there is no way for credit card information to be compromised. If you have a card on your account, and a hacker gets in, they can never view the full card number. The only damage they can do is purchase a subscription or points using the payment method on file. Since these transactions would be through Cryptic, we can take care of it as soon as we receive notification (i.e. a ticket or an email sent to customerservice@perfectworld.com).

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-14-2012, 06:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmenara
As of now I'm terminating my STO subscription

are you going to be comming back at some point?
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-14-2012, 06:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWE_BranFlakes
Hi carmenara,

I am so sorry to hear your friend had their account hacked; we take the security of your payment information very seriously.

Let me reassure you that there is no way for credit card information to be compromised. If you have a card on your account, and a hacker gets in, they can never view the full card number. The only damage they can do is purchase a subscription or points using the payment method on file. Since these transactions would be through Cryptic, we can take care of it as soon as we receive notification (i.e. a ticket or an email sent to customerservice@perfectworld.com).

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
Thanks. I'm getting her to do that and other things to help prevent such things from happening on her end again. Hopefully the account can be restored soon.
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-14-2012, 06:38 PM
Another reason to never link accounts?

Either way, I truely hope you friend's account is restored.
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-14-2012, 06:43 PM
Quote:
Hi carmenara,

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
The full card number has to be stored somewhere, correct? I assume you mean that the full card number is encrypted in your database, and if the database is compromised, decrypting it is unrealistic, so that's what you mean by they can never have the full card number...

But really, if someone does get in, it's always possible they can get access to the key to, and can decrypt whatever they want. Makes the whole thing more difficult, but it's possible.

In any case, the fact that the OPs friend's card number was stolen very likely has nothing to do with linking the account. Your friend may have visited a restaurant that same night, why aren't you blaming the waiter that server you for copying the number down.. that (and similar incidents) does actually happen, and is far more likely than your credit card number being stolen online...
Lt. Commander
# 9
03-15-2012, 04:34 PM
Quote:
Hi carmenara,

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
All characters and items restored in the span of one day.

Thanks PWE
Lt. Commander
# 10
03-15-2012, 08:02 PM
Quote:
Hi carmenara,

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
They can if they click manage payment method. They will see everything. They already got the password didn't they?