Lt. Commander
# 1 slow visuals and game
03-19-2012, 10:18 AM
I have an "old and slow" computer it seems, and my game runs slowly. I've toned down the options I can find but I'm wondering what else I could do to make things run quicker.

I've turned all the visuals to minimum, and even turned off voice chat. When in busy rooms however like the ESD Exchange, the frame rate seems to be 4 per second or so (as an estimation)

Curious if there are "tips and tricks" that I'm missing?
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-20-2012, 02:21 PM
Turn off every 2D element you feel comfortable with. Turn off the level bar if you're 50. Shrink your chat, the bigger chat is the lower fps you get (thanks to how STO handles 2D elements). In busier places turning off displaying names should help a bit. Hitting Alt-F12 kills the UI completely (hit again for it to come back) and gives a decent boost in FPS.
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-20-2012, 02:58 PM
Is your cpu a dual core or single core.What windows you running what kinda video card do you have.How much Ram do you have.
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-20-2012, 03:25 PM
Have you tried lowering your screen resolution??? With a aging ATI 2400 I have to drop down to 1200 x 700 resolution to maintian decent frame-rates in crowded Fleet actions...
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-20-2012, 07:59 PM
I've not thought of these options but will use them.

My computer was bought back when single core was "normal" and is single core. I run vista. I have 2 GB of ram. And I have whatever crappy video card comes with a Laptop from 2007 or 2008.
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-20-2012, 09:21 PM
It seems to run faster in fullscreen than windowed. This also allows me to set the resolution to minimum (800 something) which, when combined with turning everything to it's minimum possible setting, allows me to get a somewhat playable FPS rate. Turning off chat really does seem to help.
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-20-2012, 10:32 PM
if you can afford/ saveup I reccomend upgrading to a barbones system and just installing you own copy of windows 7 (dektop tower) or if you prefer laptops to look into the newer generation, but don't get rid of the old one you can still use it for work and such, just not gaming tbh.
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-20-2012, 10:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xth3xr34p3rx View Post
if you can afford/ saveup I reccomend upgrading to a barbones system and just installing you own copy of windows 7 (dektop tower) or if you prefer laptops to look into the newer generation, but don't get rid of the old one you can still use it for work and such, just not gaming tbh.
My current "income" is rent +$80 a month.

Also, I found this.
http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?t=73564
and was able to turn on my framerate.

Normally in an room with an exchange I get about 3 to 4. With full size (1280) I get an average FPS of 3.4, on the smallest (800) I get 3.8. Opening and closing chat also has a minor impact.

However, I was able to double my frame rate to 7 or so by doing one thing... Looking at my feet. looking straight down gives me a huge boost, and I can even use this while walking just by aiming my view more towards the floor.

It feels so wonderful to finally be able to get around ESD without either having to walk, or, always jog into walls.