Lt. Commander
# 1 AMD Graphics Bug
03-17-2012, 06:12 AM
So tonight my computer updated the drivers to my AMD Radeon HD 6670 graphics card and now the game is acting really strange, Like it is missing alot of pixels/its seriously pixelated. I've read other peoples posts and i havent come across anyone who has something along these lines.

Though more of warning to AMD users like myself, but a quickfix would be very appreciated
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-17-2012, 03:53 PM
Recently rolled my drivers back in response to a similar issue.
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-17-2012, 04:09 PM
I updated to the 12.3 Catalyst drivers this morning and I am also having the same problem. After a few minutes of play the game also changed my display resolution down to 800x600.
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-17-2012, 07:27 PM
have the latest drivers and a radeon HD 6800 series card, im having the same issues, just decided to come back after a year and a half away to my lifetime account, kinda disappointed to not even be able to see enough of the game to play it fully
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-17-2012, 08:12 PM
Okay not to sound like an *** but do you people not understand the concept of searching a forum for solutions BEFORE posting a new thread??

There are now atleast 20-30 different threads all with the same exact issue all with the same exact solution. The ATI/AMD 12.2/12.3 drivers are bad, so in order for everything to work properly you have to revert back to 12.1

I'm not trying to single you few out with the first statement, but this is getting ridiculous. Also before anyone else goes submitting a ticket and on a rant rampage to Cryptic how they've "Broken yet another part of the game and I demand you fix it immediately"..THIS IS NOT A CRYPTIC PROBLEM THIS IS A PROBLEM WITH THE NEW ATI/AMD DRIVERS!!.

ATI drivers were never very stable to begin with and obviously when AMD bought ATI they didn't clean house with programmers so the buggy drivers curse continues on.

99.9% of the time the stable driver sets will be the X.0, X.1, X.5, X.0 and right now the only stable driver in the 12.x series is 12.1.

For future reference there is a ATI/AMD graphics issues and solutions thread that I started a few days ago that has the typical issues that come up and their solutions. Hopefully that thread will get sticky status and from now on people will beable to post new errors and solutions there so they're not scattered over 20-30 duplicate threads.

Also, some people have tried doing a system recovery/rollback to the driver that was working for them and apparently 12.2/12.3 doesn't want to die very easily so you're better off just uninstalling the driver and then reinstalling 12.1
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-17-2012, 10:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by voicesinthedark View Post
Okay not to sound like an *** but do you people not understand the concept of searching a forum for solutions BEFORE posting a new thread??

There are now atleast 20-30 different threads all with the same exact issue all with the same exact solution. The ATI/AMD 12.2/12.3 drivers are bad, so in order for everything to work properly you have to revert back to 12.1

I'm not trying to single you few out with the first statement, but this is getting ridiculous. Also before anyone else goes submitting a ticket and on a rant rampage to Cryptic how they've "Broken yet another part of the game and I demand you fix it immediately"..THIS IS NOT A CRYPTIC PROBLEM THIS IS A PROBLEM WITH THE NEW ATI/AMD DRIVERS!!.

ATI drivers were never very stable to begin with and obviously when AMD bought ATI they didn't clean house with programmers so the buggy drivers curse continues on.

99.9% of the time the stable driver sets will be the X.0, X.1, X.5, X.0 and right now the only stable driver in the 12.x series is 12.1.

For future reference there is a ATI/AMD graphics issues and solutions thread that I started a few days ago that has the typical issues that come up and their solutions. Hopefully that thread will get sticky status and from now on people will beable to post new errors and solutions there so they're not scattered over 20-30 duplicate threads.

Also, some people have tried doing a system recovery/rollback to the driver that was working for them and apparently 12.2/12.3 doesn't want to die very easily so you're better off just uninstalling the driver and then reinstalling 12.1
funny how ONLY this game gave me issues with the 12.2 and 12.3 drivers(various versions) and i tested over 20games for rendering errors on my 6870's.

this drivers better then the 12.1's
http://downloads.guru3d.com/AMD-Cata...load-2867.html
its what me and 5-6 of my friends are using now.

I have never had any more issues with ati drivers then nvidia, before or after the amd buyout, each company has its issues, if push comes to shove i can list some I have seen comparing same generation cards with drivers of the day.....never have i see flawless drivers for all software/games from either company, this isnt all nv or amd/ati's fault, because some games are VERY poorly coded.....have had to hack the living crap out of drivers for both companies in the past to create my own fully functional d3d+ogl drivers......

but, no matter the situation, at least both companies are better then intel.....
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-19-2012, 06:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshenTech
funny how ONLY this game gave me issues with the 12.2 and 12.3 drivers(various versions) and i tested over 20games for rendering errors on my 6870's.
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, O great tester of games, but Google seems to show many other games and websites (such as STOR and GameTrailers.com) are reporting similar issues with this update.

In fact, the issues with this driver release are even mentioned in AMD's release notes.

Quote:
Known issues under the Windows 7 operating system

The following section provides a summary of open issues that may be experienced under the Windows 7 operating system in the latest version of AMD Catalyst. These include:

Alan Wake - Enabling CrossfireX can cause corruptions or hangs. This issue will be fixed in AMD Catalyst 12.3
Elder Scrolls - Image corruption can be be seen with Anti-Aliasing enabled on speciic AMD graphics hardware. This issue will be fixed in AMD Catalyst 12.3
Vsync may be disabled after task switching when playing Rage.
A black screen may be displayed when running Civilization V in certain Eyefinity configurations.
Playing Far Cry 2 at high in game settings may generate a system hang.
Poor performance may be experience when playing Dirt 3 in DirectX 11 mode at low resolutions with Crossfire enabled.
Known issues under the Windows XP operating system

The following section provides a summary of open issues that may be experienced under the Windows XP operating system in the latest version of AMD Catalyst. These include:

The system may hand when playing Dirt 3 at maximum in-game settings.
I'm reverting back to the old ones once I remember how to without downloading some sketchy third-party program.
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-19-2012, 10:15 AM
dont use driver sweeper, cant tell you how many systems i have had to fully reinstall windows onto thanks to that stupid app....

as to their list of games, there, skyrim is known to have issues, both nv and amd have had issues with it, same with rage, alanwake is pretty new as well, so its a given there will be some issues....

I never said the current "latest" official drivers where the best and bug free, but STO out of the 30+ games I have tested with was the only one to have horrible annomolies (black/colored blinking boxes and such)

I dont buy new titles like the skyrim/alanwake/rage(ok rage is pushing it but.....i dont blame nvidia/amd for the issues with it...Id didnt test properly)
I give them time to mature both the game patch wise and the drivers update wise.

every elderscrolls game I have owned has had issues till it got some patching.....its known as bethesda launch syndrome among many gamer communities, its expected their games will have buggs aplenty when they come out, but will get patched up in proceding months.

the drivers I linked have worked for every game I have tested the ONLY game i have had anybody mention issues with was bf3, and he had issues with that game to start with so not sure if the drivers to blame.

if you need a list of some of the games I have tested you can look here
http://www.steamcalculator.com/id/unasalusvictus
also have tested with older games like unreal gold, ut2k4, gothic 1-2-3-4, kalonline, fable TLC, tribes, tribes2....

i could list more but I think this covers my point.....

If needed I can hunt down a list of games nvidia has issues with as well......if that would help you feel better about your amd card.

edit: the driver I linked should work fine with the titles mentioned, its a more recent beta of the 12.3/12.4 line, got confermatiuon from 2 people it works with alanwake fine, and one said rage ran great.....civV...dont got anybody who has that installed at the moment.
Lt. Commander
# 9
03-19-2012, 02:39 PM
Yea same problem here. Running a HD5570 and installed 12.2 drivers....very pixelated and messed up graphics on STO. I rolled back to 12.1 until a fix comes.
Lt. Commander
# 10
03-19-2012, 02:41 PM
Forgot to mention the graphic issues are only on STO. The other games I roam around in seem to be fine.