Lt. Commander
# 1 Galaxy Map Question
03-19-2012, 12:23 PM
Why, on the Galaxy Map, is there a little arrow and N indicating which direction is "North"?
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-19-2012, 01:28 PM
because there is a compass on your minimap, which shows which way is north, so you can reconcile the two.
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-19-2012, 01:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumerboy View Post
because there is a compass on your minimap, which shows which way is north, so you can reconcile the two.
Is that really necessary since the compass doesn't rotate and the map and compass are always aligned in the same direction anyway.

On a side note if we didn't call it north, which I know its not since its space, what would we use to describe direction on a map without the use of cardinal directions?
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-19-2012, 01:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Body_Surfer
On a side note if we didn't call it north, which I know its not since its space, what would we use to describe direction on a map without the use of cardinal directions?
<--- To Galactic Core
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-19-2012, 01:46 PM
Quote:
Is that really necessary since the compass doesn't rotate and the map and compass are always aligned in the same direction anyway.

You orient yourself to the largest stationary body. In Galactic navigation, you orient yourself to the Galactic Core. The directions are not North, South, East, West, but Coreward, Edgeward, Spinward, and Anti-Spinward.
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-19-2012, 01:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KitsuneRommel
<--- To Galactic Core
I can see how we could use that for distance but how would that be used for direction?
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-19-2012, 01:54 PM
Quote:

For the most part its easier orientation for people to use traditional cardinal direction than true Galactic system, which always points towards the Galactic core.

When Cryptic starts expanding beyond Federation Space, perhaps the could start implementing that system or mimic it by having the zones point towards the core, but really maintaining cardinal north.
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-19-2012, 01:56 PM
How ironic it sounds, people have an easier time understanding "Go North", rather than "Go up"...

Why this is so, I do not understand... But it works.
Lt. Commander
# 9
03-19-2012, 02:07 PM
Galactic Core navigation is also more confusing to us because it's a radial orientation, not an orthographic one.
Lt. Commander
# 10
03-19-2012, 02:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anazonda View Post
How ironic it sounds, people have an easier time understanding "Go North", rather than "Go up"...

Why this is so, I do not understand... But it works.
Space is 3D, so saying 'go up' would probably make people think about literally going up along the Z axis.