Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 31
03-20-2012, 10:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumerboy View Post
The real reason that sectors are rectangular in game is because our engine (and every engine I've ever seen), work on and X, Y, Z grid. Game engines are built on rectangles and rectangular grids, so the maps they make are also that way.

We could potentially put in some false walls to make it FEEL like sector space are in radial chunks, but the underlying map would still be on a grid, and the map itself would still be a rectangle.

I would guess that the real reason for all of that, is that rectangular math is much simpler than radial math.
Thank you for explaining!
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 32
03-20-2012, 12:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumerboy View Post
The real reason that sectors are rectangular in game is because our engine (and every engine I've ever seen), work on and X, Y, Z grid. Game engines are built on rectangles and rectangular grids, so the maps they make are also that way.

We could potentially put in some false walls to make it FEEL like sector space are in radial chunks, but the underlying map would still be on a grid, and the map itself would still be a rectangle.

I would guess that the real reason for all of that, is that rectangular math is much simpler than radial math.
Why are we talking about changing the sector block walls, when we've been told for well over a year now that the intent was to take DOWN the sector block walls?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 33
03-20-2012, 02:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinRa_Actual View Post
Why are we talking about changing the sector block walls, when we've been told for well over a year now that the intent was to take DOWN the sector block walls?
I believe we have also, simultaneously, been told that to do so would be a massive undertaking and that any desire to take down the walls would have to be balanced by the large amount of work it would require. There are a handful of other, additionally intensive projects, that should probably be tackled first. Sector space is functional as is.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 34
03-20-2012, 04:43 PM
I have not been involved with altering or removing sector block walls. I was simply explaining how maps in this game (and every other I've dealt with) are constructed on a rectangular grid, and speculating that it would not be trivial to convert all of that to some new radial method for little gain. As such, I was also mentioning how we could potentially 'hack' it to make sector maps SEEM like true radial sectors, while still existing within the rectangular coordinate system we have now (and will continue to have) underlying everything.

This was no statement of work, or intent to work on changing anything. It was purely a statement of existing tech, and hypothetical solutions to the problem posed.

I, personally, do not believe that converting things to radial sectors would make much sense within the current given constraints, nor that It would add anything meaningful to the game.

IF the sector walls ever come down, allowing a single, huge, galaxy map, I would hope that we would lay things out in a radial manner befitting the galaxy.



I hope that has sufficiently clarified my positions.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 35
03-20-2012, 05:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumerboy View Post
I have not been involved with altering or removing sector block walls. I was simply explaining how maps in this game (and every other I've dealt with) are constructed on a rectangular grid, and speculating that it would not be trivial to convert all of that to some new radial method for little gain. As such, I was also mentioning how we could potentially 'hack' it to make sector maps SEEM like true radial sectors, while still existing within the rectangular coordinate system we have now (and will continue to have) underlying everything.

This was no statement of work, or intent to work on changing anything. It was purely a statement of existing tech, and hypothetical solutions to the problem posed.

I, personally, do not believe that converting things to radial sectors would make much sense within the current given constraints, nor that It would add anything meaningful to the game.

IF the sector walls ever come down, allowing a single, huge, galaxy map, I would hope that we would lay things out in a radial manner befitting the galaxy.



I hope that has sufficiently clarified my positions.
<chuckle>

Feeling Just a bit paranoid there TB...

Though for the life of me, I can't say I blame you.

I understood perfectly your position...

... though I'm not one to try and chew you a new shiny-hiney-hole.

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:36 AM.