Lt. Commander
# 1 Ship Costume Unlocks.
12-14-2011, 03:46 PM
Hey Cryptic team!

This may have been brought before in the past, but I'd like to touch on it anyways: ship costume unlocks.
Currently, you have a system in the game that sets certain ship visuals based on what set of gear (borg, aegis, MACO, etc.) you have on your ship. Or in some cases, just one item is causing a ship visual (Reman shield.)

I think it would be a great option to allow this "look" to be applicable even if I don't have the equipment pieces installed on the ship. Make it a reward for the ship tailor! I would spend the time to acquire the set, let's say the Breen set, and I love the visuals. Well the Breen set is an early set, and you eventually replace the gear with new set (say Aegis.) I would love being to pop in the tailor and adjusting my ship to continue looking like the Breen setup while rocking Aegis gear. It would further individual customization to each player, as well promoting the acquisition of various sets. You could also use the Accolade system to register the unlocks.

Now, I know people would maybe say "that's bad for PVP- set recognition is blardy-blar important!"; which is a foolish notion considering you can turn the visuals off currently.

Personally, I'd love to make my ship have the hull deco of the Reman shield look, with the MACO warpy water bubble, with the Breen wake, and the Aegis deflector FX.

Help me Pimp My Starship, Cryptic art team!
Lt. Commander
# 2
12-14-2011, 04:02 PM
I would actually argue for in universe reasons. Why would your shield or hull look different if you don't actually have those parts equipped? Could you imagine watching an episode of Star Trek, and seeing all this borg gear sticking out of the ship, but it's never explained or mentioned in the show because "it's only visual and those parts aren't really on the ship"?
Lt. Commander
# 3
12-14-2011, 04:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ainu
I would actually argue for in universe reasons. Why would your shield or hull look different if you don't actually have those parts equipped? Could you imagine watching an episode of Star Trek, and seeing all this borg gear sticking out of the ship, but it's never explained or mentioned in the show because "it's only visual and those parts aren't really on the ship"?
Why should you character look like he is wearing the omega suit although he actually ISNT weaing the suit?
Why should you ship NOT look like using that parts while using it with disabled visuals?

That kind of logic does IMO not have much space in STO.
Lt. Commander
# 4
12-14-2011, 04:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ainu
But by that rationale, why are you able to turn them off?

Plenty of things in this game break universe canon and logic. An obvious one is "why can multiple ships have the same name, even when piloted by different captains?" Also look at what First mentions.

I know some folk might see this as in line with the "custom ship weapon effects" thinking, but the ship costume system is already in the game- this would be adding to gameplay features, which as many game devs will tell you, can be more important than canon.
Lt. Commander
# 5
12-14-2011, 05:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstAngelus View Post
Why should you character look like he is wearing the omega suit although he actually ISNT weaing the suit?
Why should you ship NOT look like using that parts while using it with disabled visuals?

That kind of logic does IMO not have much space in STO.
Have to agree with First here. I rather like the idea of unlocking the ship costume with the parts assembled and then being able to suit up any ship you like with it.
Lt. Commander
# 6
12-14-2011, 08:34 PM
I agree with the ship costume unlock.

I LOVE the reman shields. Love love love them. But now I am equipped with the MACO set, which to me has zero visual aspect to it. It's just a huge let down. It seemed like things were getting better, the Borg and Aegis sets looked awesome, then the reman set. Now the MACO and Omega sets just seem dull.
Lt. Commander
# 7
12-15-2011, 08:17 AM
I think that the "ship costume" should be akin to the player costume, in that once you've earned a costume it can be worn and swapped, mixed and matched, and even re-colored as you see fit.

It would be nice to be able to "enable" the visual effects of parts you have already earned (obviously) as you see fit.

I do see it as reasonable that the current system logically necessitates the item be equipped to get its visual effect. That just makes sense.

However, if the visuals and the actual item effects could be used independently, one could theoretically have the "looks" from one set with the ability and bonus benefits of another set entirely... This could actually be used somewhat strategically to deceive the expectations of another player competitively, so I can definitely understand a place for that...

More than anything though, it's a cosmetic interest... As such, while I completely support having unfettered ability to customize yourself to be more unique amid the ocean of same-ness, I also don't want it to subtract even an instant of focus and effort from actual pressing matters like fixes and additions to the game experience above and beyond what would amount to little more than an "instant of interesting" as a result of being able to combine, mix, and match item/set visual effects.
Lt. Commander
# 8
12-15-2011, 08:18 AM
While on the subject, what exactly is the maco shield effect? I have turned it on and off and I can not for the life of me see a difference.
Lt. Commander
# 9
12-15-2011, 12:19 PM
The MACO set is underwhelming, costume wise.

With all 3 pieces i can see he following:
1) A bit of chrome plating on the hull. Perhaps it is grander on a cruiser, but on my defiant I could take it our leave it.
2) Faint blue-greenish honeycomb pattern on the hull
3) deflector effect is a pattern rotating from the same effect as the Aegis and a smaller looking anomaly scan.
4) shield impact is a paler blue than standard shield
5) lack of engine trails in system space (bug?)
6) in sector space you see the most stuff, sadly: you have a wobbly warp bubble around, akin to a water droplet. if you zoom in, you can see it is made up of faint blue-greenish honeycomb. Also, your engine trails come back and your red one is replaced with a teal one.

I only have the Omega shield and I can see that it:
1) where the MACO put chrome plating, the Omega set puts tarnished/distressed steel looking plates.
2) there are faint yellow accents in and around the panels- akin to te borg shield effect on the hull
Lt. Commander
# 10
12-15-2011, 07:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoenATL
I agree with the ship costume unlock.

I LOVE the reman shields. Love love love them. But now I am equipped with the MACO set, which to me has zero visual aspect to it. It's just a huge let down. It seemed like things were getting better, the Borg and Aegis sets looked awesome, then the reman set. Now the MACO and Omega sets just seem dull.
it will be different somehow I got a look at it whil using the intrepid

you are not seeing it do to power drain

it makes your ship glossy silver