Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > PvP Gameplay
Login

Lt. Commander
# 11
03-27-2012, 05:46 AM
I don't think this would help. If you ignore it now, you will also ignore its increased AoE.
Lt. Commander
# 12
03-27-2012, 06:45 AM
Now the only thing that have some use on a commander scie is PSW or CPB.
Thank you cryptic for killing diversity.
Just keep adding OP new powers on PTW consoles and forget about the rest.
Lt. Commander
# 13
03-27-2012, 12:50 PM
The difficulty w/balancing AoE abilties (sci or not) is keeping them from being usless while 1-2 ships are using them, to being OP when 5 are using them.

Perhaps GW is best left as a very good PvE ability, and a situationaly useful PvP ability? I say this as a sci captain. There's still TBR, PSW, CPB for PvP (EWP for engineering alternative). I just don't see how an ability applied at range with AoE damage & movement restriction can be balanced effectively in PvP if it's strong.
Lt. Commander
# 14
03-27-2012, 04:45 PM
I'd be fine with GW if it did no damage but actually sucked in targets hard. Then it'd at least have a FUNCTION.
Lt. Commander
# 15
03-27-2012, 06:19 PM
thought something was up when i was flying out of a grav well at only 40 engine power
Lt. Commander
# 16
03-28-2012, 05:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustrumRidcully View Post
I wonder if it wouldn't help if they'd significantly increased the area of effect of these powers? Then even if it doesn't suck you into its center entirely, it will take some time to get out of it and you're affected for longer.
They already did that a few patches ago. It's really quite sad the state of Gravity Well at the moment especially when all it takes is a little bit of engine power and the hold is broken.

Here's what was posted about the new scaling effect. For each version of Gravity Well it's assumed that Graviton Generators only affects the small increase to the radius of the Gravity Well for its particular rank. They need to update the tooltips: http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...2&postcount=20

Rank 1: 2.70km - 3.38km
Rank 2: 2.85km - 3.56km
Rank 3: 3.00km - 3.75km

This power needs a total overhaul.

Borticus has said that the repel and "ships whipping around" feels unTrek. -Repel then gets a nerf. (Well, yes and no because -Repel hasn't worked correctly since the new skill tree)

You also can't accomplish the Damage with GW that you were once able to prior to F2P primarily because of the changes to the skill tree.

Gravity Well was indirectly nerfed again when they hit Sensor Scan's DR Debuff with the nerf bat. Now it just sits at most at -68 DR whereas before you could get it in the -100s DR with high Auxiliary.

The up-coming changes to Warhead Yield Consoles now on Tribble will nerf Gravity Well even more. They now, no longer effect all kinetic types of damage.

This new shield-stacking console mess is also indirectly nerfing Science powers by making Sci's choose between whether to keep their DPS or retain their shield numbers that they already have. (except possibly Shield strippers which may have just gotten indirectly buffed).

Then there is this...as if Gravity Well could actually hold a target anyway before this patch. (3/15 Release Notes): http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...d.php?t=260894

"Drastically improved the Control Resistance benefits player get from Willpower, Inertial Dampers, Sensors and Power Insulators.
Max resistance is now 75%. This is from skill alone, items can increase this value."

Awesome Cryptic, thanks for making Gravity Well's already sad, sad DPS even worse and it's hold pretty much useless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamid
The difficulty w/balancing AoE abilties (sci or not) is keeping them from being usless while 1-2 ships are using them, to being OP when 5 are using them.
What you describe is the same thing as 5 Tac/scorts using CSV and Torpedo Spread with tactical buffs. Or even 5 Cruisers all using DEM and BFAW with APB.

This issue to me is more about Science powers repeatedly being nerfed while the other professions remain unscathed. No other profession has been nerfed as much as Science since F2P. The PvE crowd is already claiming that Science is pretty much useless (specifically for leveling). There is further evidence that supports how these nerfs are also affecting PvP and contributing to the professions downward spiral. Yet Cryptic, in its wisdom sees fit to "balance" these powers until there is no further use for them in game whatsoever. If they want to continue selling Science ships out of the cstore they need to give players a reason to buy them other than the fact that they are just vanity ships. To be honest, Sci ships currently are little more than vanity ships anyway in my humble opinion. Especially with the the way their abilities/powers keep directly and indirectly getting nerfed.

Sorry for the rant guys. My Sci toons just dread patches now.
Lt. Commander
# 17
03-28-2012, 07:19 AM
Talk about a gimping. TBR is almost as useless now as GW. It's only purpose is if you are a tac captain with full buffs up and want those magical 12k repeated crits.

Which won't be possible soon once the lolcryptic changes the warhead chambers again.

They need to just stop tinkering with mechanics they don't understand. It's like watching a clueless teenager try to supe up a mid size sedan that has no clue what the hell they are doing.
Lt. Commander
# 18
03-29-2012, 05:55 AM
i think cryptic just needs to hire some more quality folks to help them. at it's heart this game is excellent or you wouldn't have so many ppl coming here making well thought out posts giving their ideas to help improve it.

That being said, i do miss gravity well and the way it was. Personally I love the idea of gravity well in and of itself - it's always depicted as this really terrible anomaly to be on the edge of. I'd like to see down the line an ability for multiple science ships to create one really nasty event horizon. (just dreaming of course i know they wont implement that)

It's completely different from what's going on now but i'd like to see gravity well become a True gravity well. I.e. a Danger for everyone.

You create one, great but if you or any of your team mates are near it they could get pulled in 2.

It's a shame that the griefing potential would keep it from ever becoming practical.

So back to reality.

I still love gravity well, It may not suck in and damage ppl like it use to. But another reason for this is because more players are learning to deal with it- spec to avoid it's damage or increasing engine pwr to escape. That part of the equation can't be discounted. As ppl get better and skills are balanced you'll have to do more than just spam 1 super move to win.

Perhaps try beam target engines, or sub nuke and tractor before or after you use gravity well? - then a kinetic resistance debuff like grav anchor. Combining skills thoughtfully can yield better results.

It doesn't **** face like it use to but that doesn't mean it doesn't have an effect. How much of one is the only real question.

in the meantime:
come post about your issue as best you can and then unslot it and use something else until it's addressed to your satisfaction.

That's what i do.
Lt. Commander
# 19
03-29-2012, 06:17 AM
Actually it's effect is negligible. No really it is. The ship has to be all but stopped in the first place, for the pull effect to work. If the ship has any forward momentum at all it can get away. It's just there for another 1k dps per second, and spam cleaning. And it's not even particularly good at either.

TBR is much in the same boat as even green level speccing into Inertial dampeners is enough to make the repel effect almost non existent.
Lt. Commander
# 20
03-29-2012, 06:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamid

I just don't see how an ability applied at range with AoE damage & movement restriction can be balanced effectively in PvP if it's strong.
Stack limit of 2 and 20 seconds immunity after being affected by a GW