Lt. Commander
# 11
03-21-2012, 05:51 AM
Gems seem more like C-Points than dilithium. There's no use for it in buying something inside the game. Like when you buy something from the C-Store here, you actually can just use C-Points. Now you can convert D for C here, but bottom line you're still using C-Points (unless you were crazy enough to merge with PWE account and risk credit card information being stolen).
Lt. Commander
# 12
03-21-2012, 05:55 AM
Yes, gems are C-points, gold is EC, and GW2 has no 'dilithium'.

Which is actually a weakness, since there is no way to gate how much gold people gain in a day. On the other hand, they are starting out fresh, so they don't have the problem of pre-existing inflation that Cryptic had.
Lt. Commander
# 13
03-21-2012, 08:22 AM
They also have the advantage that nobody is being given free gems every month for being a lifetime subber.

Initially markets will be strange as people try to sell gems for gold, as people wont actually have much gold at all until they get established. The system should work as they control how much people get from drops etc and all gems have been bought so doesnt matter how much they sell for.
Lt. Commander
# 14
03-21-2012, 11:35 AM
Hasn't Guild Wars always had microtransactions though? There's plenty of stuff (like new clothing) to buy in the cash shop in the first game from what I remember.
Lt. Commander
# 15
03-21-2012, 12:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amosov
Hasn't Guild Wars always had microtransactions though? There's plenty of stuff (like new clothing) to buy in the cash shop in the first game from what I remember.
They came very late in the game, well after the final expansion came out.
Lt. Commander
# 16
03-21-2012, 01:04 PM
Quote of the relevant part
Quote:
Hereís our philosophy on microtransactions: We think players should have the opportunity to spend money on items that provide visual distinction and offer more ways to express themselves. They should also be able to spend money on account services and on time-saving convenience items. But itís never OK for players to buy a game and not be able to enjoy what they paid for without additional purchases, and itís never OK for players who spend money to have an unfair advantage over players who spend time.
This here is the MAJOR buying incentive for me.

No Pay 2 Win like STO has now become!

It is going to be vanity items only and so called account services. So probably adding character slots etc.
Lt. Commander
# 17
03-21-2012, 01:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivarST
Quote of the relevant part

This here is the MAJOR buying incentive for me.

No Pay 2 Win like STO has now become!

It is going to be vanity items only and so called account services. So probably adding character slots etc.
To be fair, Cryptic said mostly the same thing a long time ago.... among other things.

Still, Guild Wars was my first online game so I have to check this out as well.