Lt. Commander
# 11
03-28-2012, 01:49 PM
Finally posted mine. I wanted to give my KDF girls some love, so this one is from the perspective of Captain Zadari Iminei and Commander Tevnu Nori, a Trill and an Orion I have over on the KDF side. We also have cameos from Captain Vaihuu e'Hvalli and an alternate reality version of Vice Admiral Kim Sharp.

Some background on Kim especially, on an older lit challenge, I alluded to Kim leaving a version of herself in an alternate reality "mirror universe". In that universe, Romulus was still intact, and her late wife was still alive and fairing well as an influential person in the RSE.
Lt. Commander
# 12
03-28-2012, 09:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidbrick View Post
Soriedem, I don't understand all the Gre'en in your posts. I see it is the race of the POV character but it's also the name and some kind of slang? I'm kind of confused by how prolific it is.

I want to better understand it, but I am just having a hard time reading through your post with so many references to something that can be so many things. Can you clarify for me: is there some kind of rule of grammar that this species uses that we should know?

EDIT: Also, love the name Purina for the cat-lady.
i understand your confusion. Gre'en (the species) are botanical lifeforms. They live a long time and don't communicate in the same way that short lived animalians communicate. It's more along the lines of a pheromone or pollen like release. However, they have learned to communicate with animalians by faking it. They are able to reproduce the sounds used in speech, but it is meaningless to them. Gre'en is a place holder for their actual language, which tends to over load the universal translators which can only produce a single, meaningless word: Gre'en. Gre'en conveys the thoughts, emotions, and information that the individual is actually expressing. When I use Gre'en in my story, if it's at the beginning of a statement, it's conveying the statement. At the end, or in the middle, it represents an idea or an emotion.

i hope this helps clarify what I was trying to do. Maybe to help clarify, I should adjust the Gre'ens that refer to intangibles such as ideas and emotions as gre'en. Then, that would only leave the Gre'en (referring to the Captain's name) and Gre'en' (the science officer's name).
Lt. Commander
# 13
03-29-2012, 12:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by soriedem View Post
When I use Gre'en in my story, if it's at the beginning of a statement, it's conveying the statement. At the end, or in the middle, it represents an idea or an emotion.

i hope this helps clarify what I was trying to do. Maybe to help clarify, I should adjust the Gre'ens that refer to intangibles such as ideas and emotions as gre'en. Then, that would only leave the Gre'en (referring to the Captain's name) and Gre'en' (the science officer's name).
It does help. Thank you for clarifying.
Lt. Commander
# 14
03-29-2012, 08:34 PM
Okies, got my story slugged in. If the characters get anyone's attention, you can read how Sky's story starts over at my fleet's Character Bio forum. I look forward to feedback, constructive criticism, etc...

http://stotosveteransfleet.guildlaun...530&gid=205090
Lt. Commander
# 15
03-30-2012, 08:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by paynesgrey View Post
Okies, got my story slugged in. If the characters get anyone's attention, you can read how Sky's story starts over at my fleet's Character Bio forum. I look forward to feedback, constructive criticism, etc...

http://stotosveteransfleet.guildlaun...530&gid=205090
Oh, and here's the link to the story I submitted for the Lit Challenge here. Title is The Devil In the DNA.

http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...=262090&page=2

I'd love some feedback and critique.
Lt. Commander
# 16
03-31-2012, 08:05 AM
Hey, Liquidbrick, I liked your entry. Do I sense the chance for a romance between your Captain and Juliet?
Lt. Commander
# 17
03-31-2012, 02:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiraYamato
Hey, Liquidbrick, I liked your entry. Do I sense the chance for a romance between your Captain and Juliet?
Thank you.

Was hoping to go that way. Seemed like the idea of having a similar background was a good way to introduce the two to wider happenings in life.
Lt. Commander
# 18
04-01-2012, 08:09 AM
Eh, got my entry in. This time, my 23rd century captain. Terribly original idea there, I know.
I'm not sure why, but I don't really like this entry. I don't think I did good enough.
Lt. Commander
# 19
04-02-2012, 09:55 AM
does anyone have any ideas on dealing with writers block?

for the last two entries i simply find that i don't feel like writing, hell even my bio is still unfinished.
Lt. Commander
# 20
04-02-2012, 02:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Butters
does anyone have any ideas on dealing with writers block?

for the last two entries i simply find that i don't feel like writing, hell even my bio is still unfinished.
Freewriting for at least 3 pages helps. Just sit down and write anything that comes to your mind, no matter how benign. Often it will become a list of crap that was stuffed into your head like "walk the dog" "food is amazing" or "I need to get gas for my car." The point of this is to get that stuff out of the way. In time you will run out of things to write so start writing how you feel about one of those subjects and why you feel that way about it. After a while, and that's why I recommend 3 pages (at least), you will find yourself instinctively making bridges between two subjects. Build on those and explore.

Another method that helps is to make a playlist of music you like and play it while you think about the scenario. I find that in times of trouble (mother mary says to me ) making a playlist for the types of music each character would listen to helps to define who you are writing about, and that frequently the friction between different characters can help define what you are writing about.

Yet a third thing you can do is to combine the killing time and music to some other activity like listening to a playlist of favorites while browsing Wikipedia. Random thoughts help tremendously. Trying to expand on current science and imagine how it will evolve and what uses civilization will have for it in the future may give you something of substance to work with.

And finally - just distract yourself entirely and don't think about writing. If you have a hobby that involves being physical, like sports or table games (foosball or airhockey), then get out and stretch your body to stretch your mind. Doing something competitive that will force your mind away from the mental circles you run around in definitely help. It doesn't have to be something full contact and painful, but it does need to distract you from your writing problem.

Something you may want to invest in is a small blank paged book and jot down ideas when you get them, any idea you think is new to the world no matter how ridiculous, so when writer's block hits you can read through some ideas of your own and try to get something from your past to satiate your present.

I do all of these and can personally attest to their efficacy. If none of these help, maybe you need a break? There is nothing wrong with a sabbatical.