Lt. Commander
# 71
03-21-2012, 01:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatricianVetinari
The more I think about this, the more I think it's too expensive. I have to trade in five DOffs and pay Dilithium to get a single +1 Quality DOff? And what's worse is that's it's completely random.

I don't know that +1 Quality is five times better than any other random DOff. Especially with the added "reassignment" Dil fee.

It might be one thing if I could go turn in five random blue DOffs, pay the fee, and hand-pick a specific Purple DOff. Maybe not exactly pick, but at least choose the Specialization (and race/traits could be random).

I know we can go to the other Personall Officer and select species (which at least weighs-in towards trait selection, not to mention those with an RP-slant -- I'll just say my Vulcan Captain/Ship/Crew is happy to see this option), and that's nice. But that's even more expensive, isn't it?

Any chance of getting the (Five+Dil = Random +1Q) turned into turning in fewer (say 2-3) DOffs?

In all fairness, a 5-to-1 exchange per quality level is consistent with prices on the exchange, in-general. I'm gonna guess that this metric was the basis for this decision.....
Lt. Commander
# 72
03-21-2012, 01:38 PM
Quote:
The more I think about this, the more I think it's too expensive. I have to trade in five DOffs and pay Dilithium to get a single +1 Quality DOff? And what's worse is that's it's completely random.

I know we can go to the other Personall Officer and select species (which at least weighs-in towards trait selection, not to mention those with an RP-slant -- I'll just say my Vulcan Captain/Ship/Crew is happy to see this option), and that's nice. But that's even more expensive, isn't it?

Any chance of getting the (Five+Dil = Random +1Q) turned into turning in fewer (say 2-3) DOffs?
We've started at somewhat high costs since it is much more palatable to players to lower the costs for things like this than raise them; we will continue to assess where things are, and changes are certainly possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atatassault View Post
Where can they be found at?
The primary Personnel Officer is near the standard duty officer contact. The species specific Personnel Officers are scattered around the two Academies. There are Personnel Officers for Andorians, Tellarites, Vulcans, Orions, Nausicaans and Gorn.
Lt. Commander
# 73
03-21-2012, 01:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heretic
There are Personnel Officers for Andorians, Tellarites, Vulcans, Orions, Nausicaans and Gorn.
What, no Bajorian or Caitian Personnel Officers? Did Borticus have anything to do with the no Bajorian Personnel?

Matt
Lt. Commander
# 74
03-21-2012, 01:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattMiracle
What, no Bajorian or Caitian Personnel Officers? Did Borticus have anything to do with the no Bajorian Personnel?

Matt
I don't think Heretic went through all the trouble of making a DOFF exchange chains for Bajorans and such like just to replace it with an NPC. You can get those officers, just a week or so of assignments to unlock them
Lt. Commander
# 75
03-21-2012, 02:11 PM
Quote:
The more I think about this, the more I think it's too expensive.
I usually agree with you on most things. On this one, I'm not so sure.

Consider for a moment that if you bought a duty officer just for dilithium (assuming correct ranks) from your source at either the Starfleet or Klingon Academy contacts, it would be, correct me if my assumption is wrong, 1000 refined dilithium, right? Blue duty officers are at 6000, right?

The valuation of uncommon to rare was already decided when the system went into place. That there is a 5 to 1 (plus fee) actually fits in line with the current in-game cost. To me, this is rather like complaining about the barn door being open long after the horse has left.

As I progressed with my duty officers, I got to the point where I began dismissing white ones (for dilithium and recruitment xp) once I had a suitable number of uncommon replacements. Similarly, I did so when I got rare or very rare replacements. It even got to the point where I could send almost 1 of every type of officer (uncommon quality) to new alts to start the cycle there, too.

Doing the duty officer recruitments on multiple toons tends to have me swimming in either duty officers or a respectable amount of dilithium ore (so much so that I rarely do daily missions anymore). I'm not sure I see a problem in the in-game costs here.
Lt. Commander
# 76
03-21-2012, 02:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badname834854
In all fairness, a 5-to-1 exchange per quality level is consistent with prices on the exchange, in-general. I'm gonna guess that this metric was the basis for this decision.....
Sure, on the Exchange Blue DOffs go around $1M. Purples $5M. You're right, that is about the going rates. But then I'm picking and choosing exactly which DOff I want - Spec and Traits (heck, even name, gender, and race if one wants to get that picky). Plus, there's no Dil cherry on top to spend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heretic
We've started at somewhat high costs since it is much more palatable to players to lower the costs for things like this than raise them; we will continue to assess where things are, and changes are certainly possible...
Thanks Heretic, that's good to know. I expected it was open to discussion (it being on Tribble and all) which is why I'm opening it up.

Badname isn't entirely wrong. The price isn't terribly off. I think taking it down to 2-3DOff+Dil for a random, or get rid of the random result.

If I could even select the specialization (and race/traits being random), I'd say 5+Dil was A-OK. Heck, maybe if I could at least select the Department (ie I want someone from Engineering or Security), maybe that would seem more fair.

I just think paying "fair market value worth" in outgoing DOffs plus Dil, for the chance to get what I want/need and possibly getting a lemon (I don't need anymore purple Warp Theorist or even Assault Squad Officers, for example) isn't balanced.

Anyway, It's good to know this is sort of your "opening bid" and we might negotiate down from there. You do know that according to the Rules of Acquisition, the first party to name a number always loses, right? Muahahaha! I have you now! :p

(You know I'm just kidding around there eh, Heretic? I mean right? You know I'm just a worm, a little old worm, Oh Great and Mighty Lord of the DOffs, Ruler of all things DOffy, He Who Could Make My DOff Life a Living Heck! You wouldn't hurt a worm, right? )
Lt. Commander
# 77
03-21-2012, 02:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuntKathy
I usually agree with you on most things. On this one, I'm not so sure.

Consider for a moment that if you bought a duty officer just for dilithium (assuming correct ranks) from your source at either the Starfleet or Klingon Academy contacts, it would be, correct me if my assumption is wrong, 1000 refined dilithium, right? Blue duty officers are at 6000, right? ...
We do often see eye-to-eye AuntKathy. You're right, Commmendation reward purchases for Dil for Green to Blue does go from 1k to 6k, there's your 5+1 proportion. But Blue to Purple is only double at 12k. There's no direct correlation at all levels (and I did say 2-3 (ie double) might be more fair).

Even if so, in those cases you're selecting exactly which DOff you do or do not buy. You're not giving 1-12k Dil for the return of a random DOff.

To be clear, my point:
The price would not be bad for me if I could chose my payoff.
The price is too high if I'm getting a random reward.

That's just my opinion.
Lt. Commander
# 78
03-21-2012, 02:37 PM
Quote:
To be clear, my point:
The price would not be bad for me if I could chose my payoff.
The price is too high if I'm getting a random reward.

That's just my opinion.
That does make some sense. I can at least see the logic. That said, I do have a counterpoint.

With the duty officer recruitment assignments, you get a random number of duty officers. In said assignments, you do not have a selection. They are, by definition, random (and intended to be so). Could not one logically 'game' the system by getting random (and otherwise useless) duty officers and then selecting a more 'appropriate' one for them (using your method)?

Ultimately, I never spend money on the exchange for any of my duty officers. I'll either get them through FEs, missions, or duty officer recruitments (or on the off chance of converting dilithium to cstore points and buying a pack for a chance at the lottery). It does not take any stretch of the imagination to assume that I could, in effect, start positioning my normal method of obtaining them into such a way that I would be somewhat guaranteed a desired outcome.

That, to me, seems contrary to design intent. Maybe the cost could come down a little bit. But attempting to otherwise game the outcome seems fraught with potential for exploitation.

Edit to add: Regarding the cost calculations, you could average out the deltas between tiers. 6 from uncommon to rare, 2 between rare and very rare. 6+2 = 8. 8/2 = 4. 4 times the cost would be a respectable compromise without making it too cheap. (You could also argue very rare is 12 times the cost of uncommon. So, 12 / 3 tiers (uncommon, rare, very rare) = 4).
Lt. Commander
# 79
03-21-2012, 02:46 PM
I just hope the doff system is going to lead up to something grand... It was great at first how the doffs modify your space and ground powers but that is getting old now and I feel like there needs to be some motivation to use this system anymore than having to deal with nope can't do half these missions now because of some c-store gimmick.
Lt. Commander
# 80
03-21-2012, 02:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeuxidemus
I just hope the doff system is going to lead up to something grand... It was great at first how the doffs modify your space and ground powers but that is getting old now and I feel like there needs to be some motivation to use this system anymore than having to deal with nope can't do half these missions now because of some c-store gimmick.
I'm not sure I can buy that logic at all. Each piece of the game has a beginning and an end. They are not meant to be treated individually, but rather as the sum of its parts.

I fear you're hoping for something unrealistic and will be ultimately disappointed in the results.