Lt. Commander
# 21
03-21-2012, 04:00 AM
Had no chance to visit tribble yet, so I dont have a full picture on which assignments are where now, but having some thoughts anyway:

Is the positioning of our BOFFs on the bridge already bound to our DOFF selection of department heads?

Even if not: In some cases the consoles should be used to access the assignments on board the ship, if there is dialogue then show the appropriate BOFF picture by the selection of dep.heads.
Why console? Because I think it is easier to bind the interaction to a fixed object than to a variable object like a BOFF who might change between visits. If it is the console, then the officer will still be there next to it, something like "Captain, we have some issues with blahblah at/in/on blabidiblubb, let me show it to you on the console."

Ready Room has to stay clear of NPCs, absolutely, indeed, I do concur, wholeheartedly.

More mindmumble:

Military/Tactical, Ops: bridge at an appropriate station/console

Medical: sickbay

Recruitment (if still applicable, dont think so though), Development: Counselor, either in sickbay, an available office space on the ship or the mess hall in a separete at a window

Engineering: engine room

Science, Exploration: bridge and/or science lab (is there one?? so long no need to go to the ship)

Espionage, Diplomacy: ready room, subspace communication via console, let us sit if we like to

Trade: do we have a cargo bay? make it the shuttle bay then - onboard bank access would be nice at this point, too

Yes, many things bundle on the bridge, but it is THE center of the ship and its operations.

And now I have ten hours to wait before I can look what Heretic has in store for my crew!
Lt. Commander
# 22
03-21-2012, 04:38 AM
In my humble opinion, this is an awesome addition to the game.
Lt. Commander
# 23
03-21-2012, 04:38 AM
I've been playing around with it this morning and I quite like the new shipboard stuff. It now seems more a matter of planning what you want your crew to be doing with their time and expertise, rather than just grabbing whatever was available from the old universal list.

I think managing the day to day lives of your crew has just got more interesting and some nice new rewards thrown in as well .
Lt. Commander
# 24
03-21-2012, 06:39 AM
On moving the interaction to consoles: I think the reason for the contact officers being in the ready room is, that bridges can be different, but all other rooms are the same - am I right? So, if the intruders in our ready room are standing there because the devs - understandably - dont wish to setup every single bridge configuration ... which would have to be done for every bridge nevertheless ... at least if bridges have no fixed positions for the different officers (navigator sits here, Ops there, tactical over there etc.) ... if so, then move military to shuttle bay or transporter room at least and diplomacy too - or the latter to the mess hall/bar, they like it casual those diplomatic types, easier to make the opposition feel comfortable and lower their defenses!
Lt. Commander
# 25
03-21-2012, 06:49 AM
I think customization of the mission givers would be a very smart move. Or just let them be our assigned department heads (although in all likelihood this is not that easy to program).

It just feels wrong, talking to all those NPCs I've never met. I'd love to give my bridge officers something to do.
Lt. Commander
# 26
03-21-2012, 06:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by backyardserenade View Post
I think customization of the mission givers would be a very smart move. Or just let them be our assigned department heads (although in all likelihood this is not that easy to program).

It just feels wrong, talking to all those NPCs I've never met. I'd love to give my bridge officers something to do.

Hm, just stumbled over : what if you do not have enough BOFFs (f2p e.g.) to assign every department a different BOFF - or dont want to or whatever?

Maybe this: Give out a new costume slot solely for the use to design shipwide uniforms which the system then uses!

As it seems to difficult to add existing areas to one another - e.g. glueing a shuttle bay to the engine deck: new turbolift destination: conference room and guest quarters.
Tumerboy, get over here!!
Lt. Commander
# 27
03-21-2012, 07:18 AM
Well here are my off the top suggestions after having a good play around:

Make your BOFF's be the givers for the main categories (bartenders should still be the ones to fix you a drink and such like).

List assignments and communicate with every department from the comfort of your invaded ready room using the computer that's been sitting on your desk unused all these years (the full list should not appear when your in sector space however, but certainly when your on-board your ship)

Crew members stuck in sick bay slottable for medical treatment and early release (though I expect this will be impossible since it looks like sickbay is treated as an assignment)
Lt. Commander
# 28
03-21-2012, 08:29 AM
We have to go to the transporter room to select our shuttles? Odd choice.

Should officers be hanging out in the captain's office?

Chef's culinary credentials tell you to check shipboard instead of check personal. (Bartender also)

Can we sit in the bar stools when talking with the bartender?

Can we have an El-Aurian as the bartender if we have one on our roster?

Is there a way to have the boffs assigned to tactical, operations, etc... on the doff department head screen be the ones you talk to for the assignments?

No dilithium reward for counselor's assignments?

Shouldn't assignment 'Provide Grief counseling for combat survivors' be give by the counselor instead of doctor?
Lt. Commander
# 29
03-21-2012, 09:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnBludd View Post
Oh and what the heck is the chef doing? It looks like he's bending over to barf
A crewmember just asked him to prepare a nice fresh plate of gagh.
Lt. Commander
# 30
03-21-2012, 10:50 AM
Id like to see this combined with the department heads system so that who we choose is actually there.

I think some things could be combined, like the counselor could be the diplomatic mission giver too, and the bartender/chef could be one character.

The tactical department head should be on the bridge not in the ready room.

Also, while exploring my ship it made me want an actual shuttle bay and not a transporter. We have seen the shuttle bay maps, so nothing needs to be created that isnt already there.

More feedback later.