Lt. Commander
# 1 Varanus: Gear Setup
03-21-2012, 01:52 AM
So right now, I'm using on the Varanus

Deflector - KHG
Engines - KHG
Shield - Borg
( Borg Console for 2 piece bonus. )

Should I go ahead and work towards replacing Borg shields with Omega shields? Trying to figure out what would be optimal for someone suing the varanus for a near strict support/healer role. Sci skills mostly are all heal. ( Sci teams, extend shields, Tfer Shield Str. Etc. )

What would be optimal? So I can ahve a goal in mind to work towards. Banked I have collected...

Full Breen
Full Borg
Full Jem'Hadar
Full Aegis

Only have the 2 pieces of KHG so far though, engines and deflector.

I was thinking two piece KHG at least, since I use two quantums on the front.
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-21-2012, 05:59 AM
For my two piece I use KHG shield and engines with 2 piece Borg.
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-21-2012, 08:40 AM
Borg shield is just about the worst shield you could pick. You're better off using Breen shield or Jem shield, even with giving up the 3 piece bonus (at least in STFs and PvP -- missions on low difficulty, anything works)

Personally, I would go KHG shield. When survival seems to be a problem, replace one or both with the other pieces with Borg (though the deflector bonuses and aux power bonus from engine are hard to pass up!)

Flipping KHG with Omega isn't bad, either -- tetryon glider is nice, and the gravitic anchor is cool.
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-21-2012, 11:02 AM
I run the full Omega set on my Varanus and have had good luck with it, but i use more of an offensive oriented build (abilities like Gravity well and tyken's rift in the higher slots).

In stf's i do well combining aceton assimilator with tykens and target subsystem shields.
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-21-2012, 12:13 PM
I've tested a lot of different combos on mine, and Honor Guard shields with the borg set seems to be the way to go. Yeah, you lose the tractor beam, but you still have a very powerful covariant shield with the regen buff of have three borg pieces on. Combine that with a science ship's naturally high shield rating and you'll be VERY hard to kill.