Lt. Commander
# 31
03-23-2012, 02:11 PM
i tangled with an intrepid last night that was using 6 phasers, high weapons energy, the glider, 2 viral matrixes, and so many target subsystem doffs that they could be used back to back. the entire fight i had no less then 2 subsystems disabled at all times, 3 at one point. power insulates specked to 9 did not grant me even the slightest resistance.

target subsystem has a long cooldown because way back when snix or whoever went over the skills last proboly envisioned a build like this that can make you unbeatable and your enemy to dysfunctional to fight back. but thanks to the doffs, its not for a short time but for the entire fight.

these doffs bonuses are too good and can be to easily exploited, especially combined with the right skills. the team ability cool downs for example, thanks to doffs can be cut down to the global15 seconds, it i run ET3 and have the right doffs i have the equivalent of a free LTC engineering station power. all you have to do is have enough energy credits to buy the right doffs, or how ever other way you get them im still pretty doff clueless.

you cant jump in a que anymore with 2 years of built up skill and blue or better mk XI equipment and be competitive in pvp anymore. you have to grind out stf sets and exploit the glider or borg set lol heals as hard as you can, have a few PTW consoles, and load up on doffs and exploit ability cooldowns as hard as you can before you should even show your face.

im not against things changing or not wanting to adapt, but the entry level bar is now set to high, the last couple of matches seeing this stuff in action more and more has made that clear. you cant get by on skill when your opponents have half the cooldowns you do, or crazy passives that heal you or deal an extra 100% damage a shot to your shields that resistance has no effect on. it also doesn't help that resistance skills on the skill tree continue to do nothing.

so, wasn't a fan of the doff system when i heard about it, not pleased that so much time has gone into its development, and horrified by its effects on balance and all the new exploit builds it enables.
Lt. Commander
# 32
03-23-2012, 02:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontdrunkimshoot View Post

im not against things changing or not wanting to adapt, but the entry level bar is now set to high, the last couple of matches seeing this stuff in action more and more has made that clear. you cant get by on skill when your opponents have half the cooldowns you do, or crazy passives that heal you or deal an extra 100% damage a shot to your shields that resistance has no effect on. it also doesn't help that resistance skills on the skill tree continue to do nothing.

Wow I haven't run into a ship so bolstered by the doff system yet. I hope that won't become a rule going forward but we'll see.

So far I haven't seen a doff boosted ship that just made me grit my teeth (I'm not going to count the Jem bug). I will admit the doff that allowed for extra grav wells did worry me a lot but since gravity well has been nerfed so badly it's not a huge issue.
Lt. Commander
# 33
03-23-2012, 04:52 PM
I've installed a blue warp core engineer DOFF. It says the proc for +20 energy is supposed to be 20%, but I must say, after some testing I haven't seen it proc a single time. Isn't it supposed to proc as well on EPtS? I've got two of those running pretty much all the time, so I thought a warp core guy would be a nice additional benefit.
Lt. Commander
# 34
03-23-2012, 07:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundiata
Wow I haven't run into a ship so bolstered by the doff system yet. I hope that won't become a rule going forward but we'll see.

So far I haven't seen a doff boosted ship that just made me grit my teeth (I'm not going to count the Jem bug). I will admit the doff that allowed for extra grav wells did worry me a lot but since gravity well has been nerfed so badly it's not a huge issue.
You might not have fought one, but you've fought alongside a few.

My sci has 1 TB doff with 2 copies of TB - 66% uptime on a nice, extra shield drain, enough to make sure those incoming torpedos will land. 2 Development Lab Doff's, cuts my ST cooldown in half... almost, but definitely enough to allow only 1 copy. 2 Photonic Studies Doffs, cutting PSW down to 33 secs. All purple or blue.

Then there's my cruiser... Power levels always high, extra shield recharges...

Yeah, they make a difference.
Lt. Commander
# 35
03-23-2012, 07:59 PM
just played about 5 matches with my halved cool down TT and ET, didn't die a single time! survivability is proboly 50% improved. roflcopter
Lt. Commander
# 36
03-24-2012, 04:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundiata

I except a useful thread on DOFFs and their effect on PvP will lead to more such builds.

DOFFs raise new balance and PvP accessibility concerns, of course, but a thread discussing them may unveil them...
Lt. Commander
# 37
03-25-2012, 10:51 AM
well its a nice doff update. my fleet mate had traded in 5 blue doffs and got a purple tact team doff. 30mill on exchange. what i would like to know is, is there a chance to get ultra rare purple doffs with the trading game?
Lt. Commander
# 38
05-29-2012, 02:46 AM
Hmm. This thread has gone pretty old. I think I'll need to revisit this topic and try to make a helpful list out of it.