Lt. Commander
# 1 Phased Polaron Weapons
03-21-2012, 04:26 AM
Hello everyone,

I dont want to assume, but does the Phased Polaron Beam array benefit from the Dominion Synergy 2 set bonus? The 7.6% Polaron damange bonus.

As this would make me lean more towards obtaining these over just phasers or just polaron.

Thanks in advance
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-21-2012, 04:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denaru
Hello everyone,

I dont want to assume, but does the Phased Polaron Beam array benefit from the Dominion Synergy 2 set bonus? The 7.6% Polaron damange bonus.

As this would make me lean more towards obtaining these over just phasers or just polaron.

Thanks in advance
Those are the ones that come from "The 2800" yes? The same place the set that gives a Polaron boost comes from? You've got a 50/50 chance of choosing the right answer.
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-21-2012, 03:17 PM
Yes it does give the synergy bonus. My sci ship is using the full Dominion set and 4 phased beam arrays, and I did check whether I was getting a bonus or not, though I didn't break out my calculator I admit. Is nice since I like polarons anyways.
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-21-2012, 09:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginaMala View Post
Yes it does give the synergy bonus. My sci ship is using the full Dominion set and 4 phased beam arrays, and I did check whether I was getting a bonus or not, though I didn't break out my calculator I admit. Is nice since I like polarons anyways.
Flying an Assault Cruiser and I was wondering - would you recommend the set-up of the Jem'Hadar Ship Set and Phased Polaron Beam Arrays strongly enough for the seven times I'd have to run that mission to pick up the Mk XI shields and six Mk XI Phased Polaron Beam Arrays?
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-21-2012, 10:36 PM
Thr Jem'hadar Space Set is a nice one. It's geared mainly towards a ships in a support type role. That is ships that will be running engines at 25 power setting and weapons at a lower power settings <<75 weapon power. It's ideal for a Science Vessel especiall for one running a power and/or shield draining build. And the Space set and weapons aren't a build choice for a Cruiser running in a Tank/Healer role. A lot of beams weapons means lot of chances for power drain and shield drain procs. And the Combat Impulse engine is great at lower power settings. And it has the highest turn rate of any engine in the game tha tI have seen.

For an Tactical Oriented type Cruiser build. It's not too bad. The Resilient Shield is good. The Combat Impulse engine will excell at lower engine power. The Phaser Polaron weapons? Well, It's a matter of taste. There are better weapons one could put on their ship. But the Space Set and weapons are fairly easy to get. Just a matter of time spent running the missions. There better sets you could get but they take a lot more time and/or resources then the Jem'hadar set and weapons would require.
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-21-2012, 11:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzun View Post
Thr Jem'hadar Space Set is a nice one. It's geared mainly towards a ships in a support type role. That is ships that will be running engines at 25 power setting and weapons at a lower power settings <<75 weapon power. It's ideal for a Science Vessel especiall for one running a power and/or shield draining build. And the Space set and weapons aren't a build choice for a Cruiser running in a Tank/Healer role. A lot of beams weapons means lot of chances for power drain and shield drain procs. And the Combat Impulse engine is great at lower power settings. And it has the highest turn rate of any engine in the game tha tI have seen.

For an Tactical Oriented type Cruiser build. It's not too bad. The Resilient Shield is good. The Combat Impulse engine will excell at lower engine power. The Phaser Polaron weapons? Well, It's a matter of taste. There are better weapons one could put on their ship. But the Space Set and weapons are fairly easy to get. Just a matter of time spent running the missions. There better sets you could get but they take a lot more time and/or resources then the Jem'hadar set and weapons would require.

That helps some, but you mentioned other sets that are better - would the Aegis happen to be one of those or are you referring to the Borg, MACO/Honor Guard, and Omega sets?
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-22-2012, 01:20 AM
The shields in any of those sets are numerically superior to the Dominion set; relatively low shield rating is its biggest shortcoming. You lose the auto bracing and kinetic resistance but gain several thousand points of shield strength, and only need 2 of the 3 pieces for the polaron bonus. Could min-max together the Dominion engine and deflector, then grab a covariant or Reman shield, or save up the encrypted chips for a Maco or Omega one.
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-22-2012, 01:32 AM
I changed the deflector and shields for M.A.C.O on my cruiser but still run the Jem Hdar engine, mostly because they better suited my Eng skill sets. I'll probably end up putting the Jem Hdar stuff on my Yellowstone. That being said the Jem Hdar set is a nice set. I prefer anti proton weapons though.

I had all polaron with 4 of the phased polaron beams and found it lacking against the borg, just my opinion
Lt. Commander
# 9
03-23-2012, 12:48 PM
Out of curiousity, what Energy weapon console effects these weapons? Phaser or Polaron?
Lt. Commander
# 10
03-23-2012, 12:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roach View Post
Out of curiousity, what Energy weapon console effects these weapons? Phaser or Polaron?
Polaron console will boost the damage, phaser consoles will not do anything since there is no phaser damage to increase.
Edit:
These two consoles will work (from STO wiki).
[Console - Tactical - Directed Energy Distribution Manifold]
[Console - Tactical - Polaron Phase Modulator]