Survivor of Remus
# 2291
07-03-2013, 07:14 AM
I have 2 - though probably 1 of mine is the same for everyone - kept losing my connection when LOR 1st came out.

But my 1st worst experience is from a previous bug during the Coliseum episode, when I kept running forward and the bug pushed me back.
Starfleet Veteran
# 2292
07-05-2013, 09:16 AM
Recently, I joined an IGE via private ESTF queues while trying to pad my Gorn's Mark count in prep for some Tier 5 purchases. There's no discussion in the lobby about anything special with the run to come (which I've come to expect now), so aside from the typical loot rule and ready count we begin.

I beam in to see two others with full Elite gear, one with Optional costuming. Ok, standard stuff by now. Aside from a very minor eye-roll point where the team leader forgets to kick off speaking to the lieutenant prompting me to leave the front gate and go do it myself, things seem to progress normally.

When we reach the second quad with prisoners 3 and 4 however, I notice one guy has a tendency to run ahead and start hitting some drones with Science...before the rooms are cleared. Charge ahead early straight for the workers and clear those, and warn the fellow, in which a brief conversation ensues:

"XXXXX, please don't run ahead before the room is cleared, it triggers the prisoners' assimilation."
"I was stripping the Elite Drone shields."

...You totally missed the point, I think to myself. So I reply:

"Shield-stripping Elites doesn't stop the Worker drones from assimilating captives. You are triggering them. Stop it."
"Sorry."

Gasp! An unexpected response! Not *silence* or 'lol whatever', as my jaded mindset feared. He could just be another fresh face not used to the strategy yet, which happens; we all were once. Hope remains. The others make no reaction.

We advance through to the antechamber, captives 9 and 10. The team's killing it up, Borg are melting like butter on a car engine. The room is cleared, someone sets off...a Risian Disco Globe? Err, ok. Maybe it was XXXXX. But then I notice the lack of a green 10/10 and it immediately dawns on me.

Someone neglected beaming out a captive. One of the pro-active team members runs back to try and get it but it wasn't the fastest STF run, time runs out with 9/10, and the Optional fails...meh. Well. It's just 22 Marks. Sucks, but it happens, I guess. I can forgive inattentively forgetting a captive beam-out easier than I can someone Ramboing in. We'll just clear Manus and--

"We have to start over."

...Say wut? :|

"The Optional isn't that important for redoing all of that," I say.
"YYYYY needs the optional."

I look at the person they're referring to. It's one of the guys wearing elite gear. At this point XXXXX I chastised earlier is even groaning in agreement with me, not wanting to do it over, but the others are in a mix of 'We have to do it' and 'Whatevs'. They are not going to run into the last room to kill Manus without that Optional.

When did they say this was for someone's Optional run? Where was the cry of 'Guys! Be extra careful, I need this optional!' Especially after it was nearly botched by XXXXX? Whatever happened to announcing this shyte in lobby, or before the timer's kicked off, to make sure everyone's on the same page and on alert?

So they left, and so did I. We had to redo the entire STF for one dude's benefit, got his Optional, and killed Manus. I made my usual 'Good hunting' and left, muttering about such an unnecessary waste of time.

It's at this point that I remember the new reality of STFs post-LoR: There are a ton of fresh people who are ignoring classic STF team etiquette. Announcing what your plan is for the run and checking who has what job is outmoded thanks to impatience, power creep, and general apathy. Had I known this was someone's needed Optional, I myself would have been the checker to make sure it's done right.

If you are reading this thread for cautionary tales, take heed: Talk to your team, don't assume. Let them know when you need something. Because if you don't, you could be wasting their time trying your alternate objectives. Especially for those 'Assimilated' achievement-hunters.

The Artist Formerly Known As Nikotaka ][ Join Date: Jan 2010
"Can anyone remember when we used to be explorers...?"
Captain
# 2293
07-05-2013, 11:35 AM
Speaking of cautionary tales:

Never take a ship you aren't comfortable with into an STF. I did this over the weekend, to my shame-yes, I was 'THAT' guy.

In my case, it was a KSE (*for newer players, that'd be Khitomer Vortex Elite). Now, Normally I'm in one of my KDF alts for this, and I know JUST what to do, and how to do it.

NOT THIS TIME. This time, I was running a FED. Worse, a Tac in a Science ship, worse still, the science ship wasn't anything like my usual setup.

I am utterly convinced that if I'd been in one of my other alts-the KDF ones I've been playing and levelling and such for months at a stretch, whose ships are fine-tuned and who's setups are tactically proficient, this would not have been a case of lost optional.

The problem comes down to dying a lot. I did this-it was like I was a greenie in my very, very, first run. it was embarassing how many times I got kakked by kubes when the normal drill is that I'm the one doing the kakking.

So, my caution to newer players: be familiar with your setup, know what your ship can do, and don't go into an elite run with a toon and ship you haven't touched in over six months' time.
"when you're out of Birds of Prey, you're out of ships."
Captain
# 2294
07-05-2013, 02:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkyvix View Post
Recently, I joined an IGE via private ESTF queues while trying to pad my Gorn's Mark count in prep for some Tier 5 purchases. There's no discussion in the lobby about anything special with the run to come (which I've come to expect now), so aside from the typical loot rule and ready count we begin.

I beam in to see two others with full Elite gear, one with Optional costuming. Ok, standard stuff by now. Aside from a very minor eye-roll point where the team leader forgets to kick off speaking to the lieutenant prompting me to leave the front gate and go do it myself, things seem to progress normally.

When we reach the second quad with prisoners 3 and 4 however, I notice one guy has a tendency to run ahead and start hitting some drones with Science...before the rooms are cleared. Charge ahead early straight for the workers and clear those, and warn the fellow, in which a brief conversation ensues:

"XXXXX, please don't run ahead before the room is cleared, it triggers the prisoners' assimilation."

"Shield-stripping Elites doesn't stop the Worker drones from assimilating captives. You are triggering them. Stop it."
"Sorry."

Gasp! An unexpected response! Not *silence* or 'lol whatever', as my jaded mindset feared. He could just be another fresh face not used to the strategy yet, which happens; we all were once. Hope remains. The others make no reaction.

We advance through to the antechamber, captives 9 and 10. The team's killing it up, Borg are melting like butter on a car engine. The room is cleared, someone sets off...a Risian Disco Globe? Err, ok. Maybe it was XXXXX. But then I notice the lack of a green 10/10 and it immediately dawns on me.

Someone neglected beaming out a captive. One of the pro-active team members runs back to try and get it but it wasn't the fastest STF run, time runs out with 9/10, and the Optional fails...meh. Well. It's just 22 Marks. Sucks, but it happens, I guess. I can forgive inattentively forgetting a captive beam-out easier than I can someone Ramboing in. We'll just clear Manus and--

"We have to start over."

I look at the person they're referring to. It's one of the guys wearing elite gear. At this point XXXXX I chastised earlier is even groaning in agreement with me, not wanting to do it over, but the others are in a mix of 'We have to do it' and 'Whatevs'. They are not going to run into the last room to kill Manus without that Optional.

When did they say this was for someone's Optional run? Where was the cry of 'Guys! Be extra careful, I need this optional!' Especially after it was nearly botched by XXXXX? Whatever happened to announcing this shyte in lobby, or before the timer's kicked off, to make sure everyone's on the same page and on alert?

So they left, and so did I. We had to redo the entire STF for one dude's benefit, got his Optional, and killed Manus. I made my usual 'Good hunting' and left, muttering about such an unnecessary waste of time.

It's at this point that I remember the new reality of STFs post-LoR: There are a ton of fresh people who are ignoring classic STF team etiquette. Announcing what your plan is for the run and checking who has what job is outmoded thanks to impatience, power creep, and general apathy. Had I known this was someone's needed Optional, I myself would have been the checker to make sure it's done right.

If you are reading this thread for cautionary tales, take heed: Talk to your team, don't assume. Let them know when you need something. Because if you don't, you could be wasting their time trying your alternate objectives. Especially for those 'Assimilated' achievement-hunters.
Even when I need a character done for their optional accolades, I never bail. Very poor communication within your team (not you, but other people).

stardestroyer001, VA Explorers Fury | Retired STO Player
My Useful List of STO Forum Threads, Ship Builds & More! | My Forum Gripes
PvP: PvP Boot Camp, the best newbie oriented training initiative in STO!
Commander
# 2295
07-06-2013, 12:37 PM
KASE, 4 engineers (1 rom, 2 FED cruisers, 1 FED Nebula) and my Tac Charal. I muttered sthg about "somepone taking left probes" and proceeded to kill near left cube, it's trans, than the second left cube, second trans, and got the gate to 10%. Looked at the other side, 3 engies were struggling and both right trans' were still up. So I rushed to right and started on the other side. All of the sudden I see optional is gone, the guy who was with me on left passed 2 probes as soon as I left to kil stuff on right. I asked him why he did that, and his answer was it was my fault, cause I am tac and should take care of everything. Than he started whining how I wasn't contributing anything. For a good 5 minutes he was ranting about me being useless, than he concluded that "whining idiots like me should be put on ignore". To actually make things worse, he pushed Donnie away from me (with repulsors) at every opportunity, making the final fight last about 15 minutes since the 4 of them combined couldn't even dent her hull.

Those Nebula pilots are crazy...
May 2013, automatic permanent ban for mentioning gold-seller sites
pwebranflakes: this system is currently in place and working the way it should.
moradum: I got banned for saying "I started my day with cutting off 3 MM off of the bottom of my cabinet"

Last edited by notoryczny; 07-06-2013 at 12:49 PM.
Lt. Commander
# 2296
07-06-2013, 01:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by notoryczny View Post
KASE, 4 engineers (1 rom, 2 FED cruisers, 1 FED Nebula) and my Tac Charal. I muttered sthg about "somepone taking left probes" and proceeded to kill near left cube, it's trans, than the second left cube, second trans, and got the gate to 10%. Looked at the other side, 3 engies were struggling and both right trans' were still up. So I rushed to right and started on the other side. All of the sudden I see optional is gone, the guy who was with me on left passed 2 probes as soon as I left to kil stuff on right. I asked him why he did that, and his answer was it was my fault, cause I am tac and should take care of everything. Than he started whining how I wasn't contributing anything. For a good 5 minutes he was ranting about me being useless, than he concluded that "whining idiots like me should be put on ignore". To actually make things worse, he pushed Donnie away from me (with repulsors) at every opportunity, making the final fight last about 15 minutes since the 4 of them combined couldn't even dent her hull.

Those Nebula pilots are crazy...
It happens all day, every day. The whining starts when it's obvious that they can't do anything on their own and blame the laws of physics and the universe about it.

I had a terrible ISE - we all were beam happy ships. 2 morons went right and started shooting at the generators, while the other 2 tried to dent the shields of the incoming spheres of the right side (they blew it early too). After finally killing the first wave of probes on my own, I see that the transformer is at full - then I went away and just stayed there watching. "It's all because we all use beams" - someone said. One of the morons died and AFKed. After I saw that the remaining 3 were on the same side, I rejoined. It went painfully slow. The result was 95 marks, some dilithium and 3 handles into my ignore list.
I never have this experience with my romulan. Why? We have a saying "The wolf's neck is thick because he does everything himself". (if you want something done right, do it yourself)
Lt. Commander
# 2297
07-07-2013, 07:44 AM
Tau Dewa red alert:

Was doing pretty well until the tarantulas when some idiot decided it would be clever to keep pushing them along with his repulsers and making sure we ran out of time.

What an idiot...
Captain
# 2298
07-07-2013, 07:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkyvix View Post

"Sorry."

"We have to start over."

Jeez I would have said I ain't doing it again and refused to rejoin the team what a waste of time and effort
NO TO ARC
Vice Admiral Volmack ISS Thundermole
Brigadier General Jokag IKS Gorkan
Centurion Kares RRW Tomalak
Lieutenant
# 2299
07-07-2013, 08:08 PM
so far right now every crystaline elite event is a WORST for me, everyone leaves cause on one can beat the damned thing, we fly in and die fly in and die, its rediculous.
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c112/CushionRide/a182.jpg
Career Officer
# 2300
07-08-2013, 04:18 AM
I don't bother with CE anymore - it's tiresome and simply not worth the effort.

STAR TREK BATTLES - HIGH DPS PLAYERS NEED NOT APPY

Last edited by reyan01; 07-08-2013 at 04:24 AM.