Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 351
05-11-2012, 08:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdm1958
I'm hooked on the Odysseys and have no rainbows. I see a lot of posts concerning rainbows and skittles. I guess I'm lucky because I don't see that very often, but I did last night. Based on comments I have read I expected this escort shooting out skittles to be no help at all, but much to my surprise they played very well. I guess in this instance playing skill out weighed poor weapon choice.
I also have an Odyssey and I love it. Great tanking for STF elite and I can deal major damage with all Antiproton beams and cannons with supporting console and buffs. If I play intelligently with it I can even survive Donatra frontal attack, not the beam when she reappear but the torpedo spread or whatever she hit you with. Its not only a matter of what you have but also if you're using what you have to its strenght. I found out in PVP what work best and stuck to it when I was first in damage deal VS healing which is why I use Antiproton.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 352
05-11-2012, 08:15 AM
I gave up PUG groups a long time ago, and this thread has made me remember why.

Though, if they are getting better as you say, it's maybe just because people are learning.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 353
05-11-2012, 08:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by innuwarrior
If there if only one advice for new Ody captain. Only one type of weapon, and there is now good reason to point only half your weapon on the target, BROADSIDE, bear all your weapons on target, its not an escort with dual heavy cannon up front.
im usu good w word choices, so it frustrated me to have to say "i don't attack from the front, but instead i attack from the side like an ac-130 in mw3"....so i want to heartily thank you and give you a bleach mugetsu pic(see signature) and a virtual handshake (/shake hand), for finding the right word to describe my horrible mess of an explanation: BROADSIDE....lols xD
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 354
05-11-2012, 08:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart_Gold
I gave up PUG groups a long time ago, and this thread has made me remember why.

Though, if they are getting better as you say, it's maybe just because people are learning.
There have been a few REALLY good ones recently too.

I'm almost sure the KittyCarriers are to blame for keeping the real nubs (i) too slow to get in the way and (ii) surrounded by things that can actually find the "fire" button.

Case in point: I managed to find a PUG queue with two (!!) other competent players yesterday morning. I took one Cube, another guy took a second Cube, and our third stayed near the Kang and killed off the wave of BOPs from the Cube we were ignoring.

We let the final two teammates keep the Negh'vars entertained.
(Like blind, one-legged mice playing with a cat...)

We cleaned up pretty quickly and got the optional.
Huzzah.

(Still no Prototype Engine Tech tho, darnnit!)
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 355 Oddys
05-11-2012, 08:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdm1958
I'm hooked on the Odysseys and have no rainbows. I see a lot of posts concerning rainbows and skittles. I guess I'm lucky because I don't see that very often, but I did last night. Based on comments I have read I expected this escort shooting out skittles to be no help at all, but much to my surprise they played very well. I guess in this instance playing skill out weighed poor weapon choice.
Sorry, I'm typing this in my sleep. Had to work last night on my 4th day off. Got called in at the end of a 1000 mile bike ride. Beleave it or not I carry my laptop with me si I can do my DoFF jobs at WiFi hot spots LOL.

On with the show. :p

I guess if you do enough STF's you'll start to krenge every time you see an oddy or even a Galaxy show up in an STF. I've seen a few that were well set up but just a FEW. Occasionally the pilots know what they are doing in the STF too. Of all the bad experiances I've written about in this forum there are also hundreds of good experiances even with technicolor rainbow beams. Also the posted bad experiances are just a fraction of the bad experiances I've had. If I typed them all it would just be repeating the same thing over and over and over.

My opinion of the ships sold on the Cryptic store, specifically the Oddys, Galaxy, Excelsior, Carrier, is they are simply vanity items which serve no real purpose. Any one of these ships have the word Noobe permanantly engraved in their hulls somewhere. If you paid 20 bucks or there abouts for something at the Cryptic Store they got ya.

I bought the Galaxy and Excelsior and learned my lesson there. The Galaxy was useless from the get go and they nerfed the Excelsior at the start of Season 5. My Excelsior was nearly unkillable in PVP at one time. I loved it. Now it's nothing more than a storage boat in dry dock.

I'll add to this.

Here is a decent thread on the Excelsior. It will help but it still doesn't bring the Excelsior back to the killer it used to be.

http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...ight=excelsior

Look for the posts by Marvio (Or something similar.)
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 356
05-11-2012, 09:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart_Gold
I gave up PUG groups a long time ago, and this thread has made me remember why.

Though, if they are getting better as you say, it's maybe just because people are learning.
3 PUG's in a row, ISE, CSE, KASE. All options made and I can count on one hand the total team mates deaths. Pugs will never be at the level of a pre made or fleet group, but they aren't all as bad as people make them out to be. Now that I am not hunting for gear, I actually enjoy a good disaster run every once in awhile
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 357
05-11-2012, 03:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by walkincrow
3 PUG's in a row, ISE, CSE, KASE. All options made and I can count on one hand the total team mates deaths. Pugs will never be at the level of a pre made or fleet group, but they aren't all as bad as people make them out to be. Now that I am not hunting for gear, I actually enjoy a good disaster run every once in awhile
Today's disaster story wasn't really a disaster but there were some learning points to be gleaned.

For an ISE PUG it had superior communications but I didn't put my money on the team getting the optional in time.

They get all the map procedures right, 10% was perfect. Fire control was fine, people wait for a fire signal before detonating generators.

I'm not all that impressed by people following 10% rules and such, because the rest of the way was a very bumpy ride for the following reasons:

1) People appear to be demanding people follow certain instructions but they themselves seem to have very poor ship builds. Cruisers were out DPSing and outflying the escorts in the group by over 2 times and something's really not right there as the big boats were on beams and single cannons, and escorts on DCs and DHCs.

2) No semblance of targeting priority. Aside from the initial 10% which was perfect, once the spheres came everyone fired at their own target and refused to coordinate fire with teammates until specifically instructed or when they blew up 2 times in a row from trying to take on a sphere themselves.

3) Sitting in front of a sphere at 2km range stationary is a Very Bad Idea, especially in an escort.

4) An LRSV is not an assault ship... circling an enemy target without defensive buffs is also A Very Bad Idea. The LRSV in the group also refused to use any repair components despite the fatalist piloting style causing it to blow up the moment Extend Shields III expired on her. This was a full beam boat and I for the love of all that is holy cannot understand why a beam boat needs to engage the enemy from 2km range. We have assault cruisers for tanking at that range. The LRSV simply didn't have enough engineering boffs to succeed in the role played by the pilot.

When questioned about the huge list of ship damages, LRSV pilot replied "I am to lazy to use them".

Wow.

5) The most vocal team member was also the most useless.

It was an Excelsior that tried to stay about 9.9km from anything. It had lousy firepower, paper thin shields and very poor tactical piloting ability. The rest of the team followed my example to do strafing runs high up on the Z axis while my assault cruiser did its solemn duty tanking the tac cube at point blank range spewing cannon fire everywhere.

The very loud Excelsior kept blowing up because it engaged the tac cube on the horizontal plane and attracted a whole boatload of Invisitorps of Doom while lamenting about failing the Optional. (Who the heck cares about the Optional in a PUG - it doesn't give any additional tech drops or useful loot.)

Ironically those who engaged the cube with me at short range all didn't blow up (useless crippled LRSV included), because they were within easy reach of each others' team heals.


Moral of the story:

10%? So what? I worry more about individual piloting ability and effective long duration DPS than 10%. I rather fly with a team that didn't care about 10% (deliberately or not) but had so much DPS that they can just speed blast or riot control everything into impunity whist looking out for one another.

The thing about sitting stationary in front of a target at close range and blazing away with DHCs is also very ineffective if the pilot doesn't know how to manage aggro. Escorts are -not- glass cannons from my experience. They can tank as well as a darn cruiser if flown right. Or at least better than that paper thin Excelsior which couldn't even manage a single sphere.

Instead of sitting stationary, escort should have used APO (multiple copies thereof) to stay fast and hit hard, pointing the nose at the target only for that devastating 10 second burst of CRFIII.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 358
05-11-2012, 08:21 PM
I've seen people in STF's be chatty, but I never saw three people have a full on conversation for the duration of an STF. That's what I just ran into on KASE. No one seemed to be concerned with the mission. I reminded the group that this was not a social gathering, but was quickly dismissed as a jerk and told that I don't have a sense of humor. Topics covered ranged from Star Trek lore, politics, religion, and mostly procreation. I felt like I was watching the chat window on DS9. I eventually just closed my chat because I couldn't read as fast as they were typing and play the mission. It's actually a mystery how they played as well as they did considering the on going conversation.

I stuck around for the 30 plus minutes it took to complete the mission thanks to the lackadaisical approach of the team. This was made more irritating because three times I was instantly killed when Donatra appeared and I just blew up for no reason with full shields and hull. I have run into this before, as far as I can figure the plume is firing instantly when she appears. This makes the death clock penalty all the more irritating.

Without a doubt if the group had just played the mission instead of mindlessly typing away we would of had the option and finished in under 20 minutes. Lack of effort, above all, bugs me the most in a PUG.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 359
05-12-2012, 02:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmenara
5) The thing about sitting stationary in front of a target at close range and blazing away with DHCs is also very ineffective if the pilot doesn't know how to manage aggro. Escorts are -not- glass cannons from my experience. They can tank as well as a darn cruiser if flown right. Or at least better than that paper thin Excelsior which couldn't even manage a single sphere.

Instead of sitting stationary, escort should have used APO (multiple copies thereof) to stay fast and hit hard, pointing the nose at the target only for that devastating 10 second burst of CRFIII.

Agree completely.

First off, many instant admerals don't have a clue how to check their defencive status or DPS. In the escorts your best defence is movement. If they would check their defencive figures they would find they are much higher when moving than when setting.

The only times I might set in mine is;

#1, When being held by a tractor beam. I can use the tractor against them by rotating towards them and give them the full force of my weapons. (CRF3 CSV2 TS2) Whatever is holding me will usually be dead before the the tractor drops. You better have good DPS to do this and you need Attack Pattern Omega just in case you need to get out of there.

#2, I've found that setting 9.9k from the gates is somewhat effective in keeping them from shooting at you. But only somewhat. And you still need good DPS because your weapons won't be as effective as normal at that distance. And you better be ready to move away quick because if your shooting the gate before the cube there will always be some tard that agros the cube and drags it to you.

#3, When killing the Gens I'll put my nose right against the center and keep it there while firing. The Gen explosions won't hurt you. But this really isn't setting, I'm still moving around a lot. The spheres might be shooting you but if you are good and there are more ships shooting the gen it will be dead and you can get out of there before the spheres even breach your shields. Unfortunaltly this doesn't work very often because 4 of the ships will run off killing spheres without firing a shot at the gen.

Here is the best Escort thread going...

http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...t=fleet+escort

As far as the Excelsior goes, Like I said earlier it used to be a good ship before season 5. Now they are simply good parts storage in dry dock. It's another dreaded ship in STFs.

I dread seeing them.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 360
05-12-2012, 10:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake81499 View Post


As far as the Excelsior goes, Like I said earlier it used to be a good ship before season 5. Now they are simply good parts storage in dry dock. It's another dreaded ship in STFs.

I dread seeing them.
You should be careful judging players based on the ship type being flown. There are players who can fly pretty much any ship and win hard
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:08 PM.