Lt. Commander
# 881
08-30-2012, 09:44 AM
One bad experience i forgot earlyier:

In ISE someone attacked the generators on the right side (while everybody else went left as usual) , so the nanite spheres spawned. Then he said something like "haha, have fun!" and left.
Lieutenant
# 882
08-30-2012, 11:47 AM
People that run over the triggers in IGE and the call you a noob for running in to try to salvage the optional. Fantastic.

The bottom of the slope in the room with the elite in is great for this. Always, always someone goes right up to the door and starts trying to clear the room. What are you supposed to do? Sometimes I let the timer run out. Not really the best choice, though, is it? But if you run in you're in for

'Noob! You got to clear the room first! What do you mean I went over a trigger? I know where the triggers are, this is your fault blah blah blah blah blah'

Triggers are market here.

http://www.stowiki.org/images/5/54/I...d_optional.png

Notice they are never the doorway. They are always in front of it. Before the room with the first elite is comes right out to the bottom of the slope. After that the trigger is always right down the corridor.
Ensign
# 883
08-30-2012, 09:49 PM
I've only done a dozen or so stfs so far but it never ceases to amaze me how 4 ships can camp at the kang in cure space normal and still lose the optional. I'm starting to share the despise of rainbow beams and skittle cannons.
Commander
# 884
08-30-2012, 10:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakota81499 View Post
I've only done a dozen or so stfs so far but it never ceases to amaze me how 4 ships can camp at the kang in cure space normal and still lose the optional. I'm starting to share the despise of rainbow beams and skittle cannons.
so you now understand why other players groan in any stf when they first see the 'rainbow fart'?
When in doubt, (hehe) c4!
This sig dedicated to the many random objects the Mythbusters crew has blow to smitherines
Empire Veteran
# 885
08-31-2012, 12:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakota81499 View Post

have you ever seen 4 ships sitting at 10km from nanite probes, with ridiculous dps and ignoring all spawning ships? and often they pretend to teach you about tactics to use in CSE.
Starfleet Veteran
# 886
08-31-2012, 05:57 AM
Had a KASE run where I was covering the right side by myself and taking down generators in my Armitage, when a Klink came over and told me to go ahead and spawn a borg cube, and he would cover the gate from any probes getting through. SO I spawned a Cube and as I was taking it down, I noticed that the Klink ship had moved back to cover the left side and ignored the two probes coming in from the right. So of course I didn't get back to them in time, and we lost the optional (wouldn't have mattered anyways, the three skittle boats on the other side took forever taking their gate down), so then the Klink is giving me grief for letting the probes through. I reminded him he said he would cover my back while I was taking down the cube and he denied he ever said such a thing. Still managed a decent haul on the end of game take though
Rihannsu
# 887
08-31-2012, 07:17 AM
Not all rainbow players suck. Some, like me, do it because they built a rainbow ship several seasons ago and don't want to change it even though the DPS isn't optimal.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Captain
# 888
08-31-2012, 08:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by markhawkman View Post
Not all rainbow players suck. Some, like me, do it because they built a rainbow ship several seasons ago and don't want to change it even though the DPS isn't optimal.
There are ways to mitigate the DPS loss a bit.

Most people running rainbows are still this rather than this though.
Which leads to the general public view of this...

[ <<<--- @Maelwys --->>> ]
Commander
# 889
08-31-2012, 09:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by markhawkman View Post
That's true enough. You know you're not optomising your DPS, and are making the decision to do that. I don't see why, since Rainbows don't give you anything pratical in exchange for the DPS loss. I'm sure you can get by in spite of it, but I could get by just fine by removing a DHC from my Armitage and leaving the slot empty, it still doesn't make it a good idea. But you understand the game mechanics. Which means you probably understand a lot about the game and play to a decent level accordingly, even with rainbows.

But most people with rainbows simply don't realise that they're gimping their damage output. And if they don't do enough critical thinking to realise that a Phaser Relay gives a greater damage boost than a Directed Energy Modulator when it's written in front of them, then chances are there's lots of stuff they don't realise about the game - such as power leves, console selection and that blowing up Nanite generators sequentially instead of simultaneously makes bad things happen.

Hence why it's associated with noobishness, and why most ships firing rainbows tend to do about as much damage as a stiff solar wind.

And when you say 'several seasons ago' when do you mean? Because it was an even worse idea to run Rainbows when I started playing the game (December 2010) than it is now.
Ensign
# 890 Bad day
09-02-2012, 12:29 AM
I had two bad cure normal space today.

The first was when I was attacking the nodes and see the red lost optional sign come up. I looked back and see nobody is protecting the kang. So I typed your kidding right? I fly back and start killing raptors and bop. The kang is at 50% and surrounded and here I am trying to protect it with a mix of x and xi weapons. I call for help and nobody shows. We won but by the skin of our teeth.

The second was with four ships protecting the kang and someone calling for more help! They lost the optional quickly. I typed there are 4 ships at the kang and you need more help? I kept up with the nodes and didn't help them. A few minutes later again, they were calling for more help. I said the same thing, 4 ships at the kang and your calling for help ? And I said your kidding right? I forget what was said then but the next response from the ships was, fine well just stop shooting. I said you might as well if you dont have the dps to protect the kang. Nothing else was said.

Then when we were working on the carrier I saw the ship that was calling for help had both rainbow beams AND skittles cannons.

What do we call that? A Heinz 57?

Last edited by dakota81499; 09-02-2012 at 12:31 AM.