Lt. Commander
# 1 Will It Run It?
03-22-2012, 09:38 AM
I'm not sure if I've posted this in the right place but, I'm looking into buying a new laptop and I was just wondering which one I should get

http://configure.euro.dell.com/dells...11x-r3&vw=icon (Alienware M11xR3, just the base model no upgrades)

Or

http://www.dell.com/uk/p/inspiron-15...h&isredir=true (Dell Inspiron 15R)

I have a budget of about £600. And if you think that I should choose a certain upgrade (not too expensive) or if there is another good laptop that can run the game well lag free, and by lag i mean frame rate, (I know the Inspiron 15r can because my friend uses it to play). Plus I can't get/build a PC because I don't have the room for one

Any help would be appreciated.

P.S No stupid 'Alienware sucks' comments please. I'm looking for help, no hate.
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-22-2012, 10:25 AM
Your best bet is to compare your potential purchase to the official system requirements to run STO:

Minimum System Configuration
•OS: Windows XP SP2 / Windows Vista / Windows 7 (32 or 64-bit)
•CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo 1.8 Ghz or AMD Athlon X2 3800+
•Memory: 1GB RAM
•Video: NVIDIA GeForce 7950 / ATI Radeon X1800 / Intel HD Graphics
•Sound: DirectX 9.0c Compatible Soundcard
•DirectX: Version 9.0c or Higher
•HDD: 8GB Free Disk Space
•Network: Internet Broadband Connection Required
•Disc: 6X DVD-ROM

Recommended System Configuration
•OS: Windows XP SP2 / Windows Vista / Windows 7 (32 or 64-bit)
•CPU: Intel E8400 Core 2 Duo or AMD Athlon X2 5600+
•Memory: 2GB RAM+
•Video: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 / ATI Radeon HD 3850+
•Sound: DirectX 9.0c Compatible Soundcard
•DirectX: Version 9.0c or Higher
•HDD: 8GB Free Disk Space
•Network: Internet Broadband Connection Required
•Disc: 6X DVD-ROM

Most modern laptops will be able to run the game at least passably well. Lag (or "rubberbanding") is more of an internet connection issue rather than a matter of insufficient specs, although not meeting minimum specs can cause poor performance or crashes.

If you want to test your internet connection to see if it's up to snuff:

•For Windows, hit the start button
•Where it says Search All Files and Programs, type CMD and press ENTER
•The first result should be cmd.exe
•Right-click on cmd.exe and select Run as Administrator
•A black, command-prompt window should appear
•From here type the following command:
•tracert patchserver.crypticstudios.com

•Values lower than 180 are ideal for playing MMOs (and anything under 100 is outstanding). Higher values usually cause lag and rubber-banding in-game.

Hope this helps
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-22-2012, 12:15 PM
Thanks. By lag I meant as in a poor frame rate, i don't seem to have any server issues.

And I would of just compared to the games requirements but I not so good with computers and have no idea what is better and what is not.

I did the connection test, I had no idea where to actually look but there wasn't a single number above 145 ms. On the third line it always seem to stop saying the request timed out and it then just skips it
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-22-2012, 02:07 PM
Ah, I see. Well...personally I don't care for laptops (they are ~far~ more prone to hardware failures), but to each their own.

If, gun to my head, I had to pick one I'd go with this one:

http://configure.euro.dell.com/dells...ron-15r-n5110&

It's within your price range, but it's a pros and cons situation vs. the Alienware. The *main* problem with the Alienware you'd selected is it's limited RAM. The 2GB it's outfitted with is basically the minimum that Windows 7 requires to run smoothly. That, and the 1.3 GHz processor (even if it's a quad core - didn't check) is pretty Mickey-Mouse by today's standards as well as not being up to STO standards.

The Dell 15R has a faster processor and much more RAM, but a slightly less advanced graphics card. It will be a better "all-around" laptop for you while still being able to run STO just fine.

PS: As far as the tracert, it looks fine as long as 145 was your highest number. It won't run "uber", but should be good 'nuff.
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-22-2012, 02:43 PM
Thanks! I guess it would be best to go for the Inspiron as it is an all round system and I know for sure that it will run star trek online quite well. and seeing as its so much cheaper maybe I can buy some extras, like a mouse or a keyboard.

There is also a cheaper version of the Inspiron 15R here is a comparison of the 3 within my price range. http://www.dell.com/uk/p/configurati...15r-n5110%2Ffs
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-22-2012, 03:04 PM
I'd say definitely go with either the 2nd or 3rd choices (the ones with the Nvidia GeForce 525 graphics card). The 2nd one has better specs than the 3rd, but either one will be sufficient for STO requirements.

*Avoid* the 1st choice like the plaugue!!! (purely because of the Intel HD 3000 graphics) There is a reason it's about 100 cheaper than the other models. Check this for benchmarks of the Intel HD 3000 vs. the GeForce 425. The GeForce is the blue bar and the Intel is green with the numbers being frames per second on different higher-end games.

(The GeForce 525 boasts 7% more processing power than its older sibling the 425)

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4084/i...le-landscape/8

As you can see, over every single test the 525 outperformed the 3000 by leaps and bounds.

Hope this info helps with your choice.
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-23-2012, 01:12 AM
Thanks, it has helped me a lot in deciding which laptop to get. No w the only problem is that I'm going on holiday and all my money is going into that so I have to wait until I can buy the actual laptop!