Lt. Commander
We keep hearing from the devs that running around your ship while warping can not be done. Or at least not without rebuilding the whole game. But I think this can be done, and would be very popular now that the interiors are getting more functions.

Travelling and looking out at the stars? No, that is too hard for them.

But imagine this:
You beam to your bridge, run over to the conn, and get a list of destinations. You choose one, and the following happens:
1. The system starts a timer (either fixed, or varying according to the distance you travel), say 5 minutes for fixed time)
2. When the timer hits 0, your ship is transwarped to your destination point (without you leaving the bridge)

I know the tech permits this, as you can beam from your ship in Sol System to SFA, and beam directly back out to your ship in sectorspace. The only thing needed is the contact and the timer.

So how about it? Spend 5 minutes talking to your crew, instead of sitting 5 minutes looking at the same stars rush by!
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-23-2012, 08:02 AM
its not quite that easy, you see when you are inside your ship your ships itself (externaly) isnt ecactly your ship anymore it basically ceases to exist bar a place holder on the sector/zone server. it cannot be interacted with. While you are inside you are in an specific instance, that you can invite other players to but while you are there you are for all intents no longer a part of the game in general and do not return to normal play until you choose to.

to have you held both in this instance server and the main server both under a timer while your ship is (for all intents) under autopilot in a dynamic player zone would mean you would have to be made aware of the following while you were inside your ship instance:

- all Zone specific "tells"
- random encounters
- zone shifting

Now as you are suggesting a set timer and then a trans-warp style shift while you only see stars on your viewscreen you would be specifically negating the very reason sector space exists and would be removing any and all interaction with 90% of the passing player base. But worse than simply removing the MMO out of the MMORPG you would be handing a very lazy option to an already quite lazy game. sector space is already navigable by auto pilot but at the very least you can look at other players and interact.

The interiors are there for Role play and a decent place for small meetings for fleet officers but they simply are not well enough developed to function in the way the classic PC game Bridge commander did nor will they every be due to the combat and interactivity dynamic of the game in general.

sorry but i honestly dont see this happening
Lt. Commander
# 3 RP Travel
03-23-2012, 09:36 AM
I had a theory though I've yet to test it. This involves a group of RPers who want to travel from say, Sol to DS9.

Let's say we have 5 players named A through E.

If everyone takes a mission for DS9, (i.e. "Second Wave") then beams to Player A's Bridge then players B,C,D and E should be able to RP while player A acts as the ship, moving to the mission. Once you arrive at the mission and attempt to enter, will it still offer the other 4 players a chance to beam in with player A as it does in some cases? Would like to either test it, or if someone else has tried, I'd like to know the answer. Could be useful for RP travel.

I only ask because as a captain, I can leave my ship while other players are still inside the instance, thus piloting my ship.
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-23-2012, 09:47 AM
I think it can be done now, thanks to them utilizing the instance-loading system with "Click here to transwarp straight to your mission"

All they would have to do is basically, load the interior/bridge, start a countdown for 5 minutes, and at the end of the 5 minutes, the instance changes, and loads you right in front of whatever planet you selected.

The only thing with this (as with the Transwarp to mission) is there isn't any actual traveling being done. It keeps you in the interior then loads the space map with your ship pointing right at the planet. It wouldn't be any different than selecting the "Transwarp to Mission" while on ESD.
Just have a bridge officer say "Plotting a course to blah captain, we should arrive in 5 minutes" and then after load the space map.
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-23-2012, 09:49 AM
It can be done, and wish they would.
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-23-2012, 10:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aries2507 View Post

Now as you are suggesting a set timer and then a trans-warp style shift while you only see stars on your viewscreen you would be specifically negating the very reason sector space exists and would be removing any and all interaction with 90% of the passing player base. But worse than simply removing the MMO out of the MMORPG you would be handing a very lazy option to an already quite lazy game. sector space is already navigable by auto pilot but at the very least you can look at other players and interact.
The Sector Space as a social zone has never made sense to me, I never interact with people there and never have. Plus since transwarp is so common now, that social argument falls apart even more. Most people do Social Stuff at ESD or DS9, or even inside their ships Bridge. They dont park their ships beside each other in sector space to talk or RP.

They are adding Duty officer missions on board ship, so now is the perfect time to do the "TIMER TRAVEL" idea that has been asked for by many players for months.
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-23-2012, 10:18 AM
It can be done. I've made this same post several times for over a year. Now that they have transwarp-to-mission for EC, it's even easier to do now.

A simplistic version of it can be found in my Foundry Mission, "Save the Utopia".
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-23-2012, 10:26 AM
I've brought up the same idea as well.

And frankly they can easily create a global zone chat... we can already do that. Any user created channel is global, it can even be used across Cryptic's games. So they implement this idea which so many people have "invented" and create a zone chat for people who are traveling on their ships if they are so intent on "forcing" sector social chat on us.
Lt. Commander
# 9
03-23-2012, 05:38 PM
The MMO aspect of the sectorspace is nagligable... I set my autopilot, and alt-tab to the news while waiting. (Unintended side effect: I'm always on top of all the news). Usually when I alt-tab back, unless i'm in Sirius, I'm met with a blank chatlog.

Also, as my sugestion would only be good for longer travles, say inter-sectorblock, all local travel would still be done in zone. The passers by only spend 2-3 minutes there anyway, and can not effectively engage in any discussion, or contribute in other ways.

The argument i've gotten used to hearing from the devs, is that the ship can't be in two places at once. But that is not an issue with the transwarp approach. You are in one position, and when the timer runs out you transwarp to another.
Lt. Commander
# 10
03-23-2012, 05:44 PM
We dont need a 3d model in space, just a bunch of numbers counting down in the background.

I was thinking the same thing about having it just for major waypoints in each sector block. ESD, DS9, Qo'nos, Memory Alpha, K7, and ect.