Lt. Commander
# 21
03-23-2012, 09:36 AM
I think all the nerd rage in that thread stemmed from the fact that the only reason that we don't have an Ambassador in-game is strictly because of the personal opinions of a couple of devs, which is misguided at best, lazy at worst. To an outsider, It would seem that there was some sort of systemic bend against it.

One thing it did show was that the introduction of new ships is being hamstrung by the limitations of the current Tier methodology. In essence, the current tier system if crushing itself by its' own weight.
Lt. Commander
# 22
03-23-2012, 09:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic_One View Post
Thanks anyway.
Glad I could help. You're absolutely dead wrong on your comparison of the Galaxy X vs. The Excelsior.
Lt. Commander
# 23
03-23-2012, 09:43 AM
JJz is not the only one that has put forth the idea of a lack of popularity in regard to the Excelsior. It's a common argument from the Ambassador people.

The comment was made that the Excelsior was the cooler and more popular ship. Ambassador folks jumped all over that, calling it BS - detailing why it was an unpopular ship.

Now a comment has been made that it is not a popular ship...but this time, instead of as the reason that the Excelsior was included before the Ambassador, rather as a reason that the Ambassador is down on the priority list...

...suddenly the Excelsior is popular.

It's not popular if the reason for the exclusion of the Ambassador is because the Excelsior is popular.
It's popular if the reason for the exclusion of the Ambassador is because the Excelsior is not popular.

...just saying.
Lt. Commander
# 24
03-23-2012, 09:43 AM
Wasn't the Excelsior like one of the first few ships released in game? Sure it would be one of the best selling, there was a pretty good lack of options at that time. I'm pretty sure everyone purchased it.

Much like Tacohead was talking about in the previous post, go out into sector space now and see how many Excelsior's you see still flying around? I'm not saying it's a bad ship, and I have a captain that fly's one. Hell it's even in my signature, but I also have 11 characters at max level and a little more freedom to fly whatever I want. Not everyone, including many of the free 2 play players have that many character slots and are forced to pick only a handful of ships to fly. My guess is the Excelsior is probably at the bottom of their list, unless they happen to be an Excelsior buff like myself.

Take a look at the Nebula even. It came out around the same time, and when it launched I saw tons of them. Now how many do I see? I almost swear I've got the only captain still using it.

Now should the Ambassador be in game? I'd like to see it at some point, but would I really want it as a T5 ship? Not really. I feel it would be more of a T3 or 4 ship at most. It's really just a fatter connie with a galaxy warp engine. It's iconic and was an Enterprise so it has it's place, but continually bugging the dev's about it isn't going to change their mind.

Honestly I think they could use more of their skills working on ships that are more in our timeline such as the Oddy and Bortas. I'd really like to see a nice new science ship that looks sleek and modern. We've got plenty of cruisers in game as it is.
Lt. Commander
# 25
03-23-2012, 09:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahn View Post
Wasn't the Excelsior like one of the first few ships released in game? Sure it would be one of the best selling, there was a pretty good lack of options at that time. I'm pretty sure everyone purchased it.

Much like Tacohead was talking about in the previous post, go out into sector space now and see how many Excelsior's you see still flying around? I'm not saying it's a bad ship, and I have a captain that fly's one. Hell it's even in my signature, but I also have 11 characters at max level and a little more freedom to fly whatever I want. Not everyone, including many of the free 2 play players have that many character slots and are forced to pick only a handful of ships to fly. My guess is the Excelsior is probably at the bottom of their list, unless they happen to be an Excelsior buff like myself.

Take a look at the Nebula even. It came out around the same time, and when it launched I saw tons of them. Now how many do I see? I almost swear I've got the only captain still using it.

Now should the Ambassador be in game? I'd like to see it at some point, but would I really want it as a T5 ship? Not really. I feel it would be more of a T3 or 4 ship at most. It's really just a fatter connie with a galaxy warp engine. It's iconic and was an Enterprise so it has it's place, but continually bugging the dev's about it isn't going to change their mind.

Honestly I think they could use more of their skills working on ships that are more in our timeline such as the Oddy and Bortas. I'd really like to see a nice new science ship that looks sleek and modern. We've got plenty of cruisers in game as it is.

You're right, and if I remember correctly it was released a while ago now, and I may be wrong here, but isn't it the only ship that transwarps everywhere? Pretty sure that it'd sell well if that's the case.
I really don't see many around anymore, maybe one or two.
Though, at release, I'm sure it was very popular.
Lt. Commander
# 26
03-23-2012, 09:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
Recently, a certain Dev repeatedly stated that the Excelsior class was not a popular ship(as part of an argument that the Ambassador was a low priority). However, Al Rivera disagrees. In an interview with Priority One, he said of the Excelsior:

"I think its probably our best selling ship in the game" -start at 28:00 to get full reference to Excel

http://thequantumcafe.com/priorityon...d-thingspart-2

To be fair, the statement above has 2 qualifiers: "I think" and "probably". But whether it is actually the absolute best selling or not, it is obviously very popular for him to even think that. The certain Dev in question who denied what Al just said made it clear that he did not personally like the Ambassador design, which is completely fine. But please do not try to mislead the community by making false statements to try to support your position.
*walks up to Nagus*
*hugs*
*walks away*
Lt. Commander
# 27
03-23-2012, 09:54 AM
The Galaxy X came before the Excelsior.

But the Excelsior was the most requested ship from the players. It won a poll soundly. And then they made it the most offensive oriented cruiser in the game, a game based on people who are fans of the Enterprise ... a cruiser.

The topic is kind of rigged. Of course the Excelsior is the most popular item on the c-store. It's half the peoples' favorite ship. It turns better than any of the Galaxy Class cruisers. So people feel like they fly better in it. And for min maxxers it's better.

There's no contest.
Lt. Commander
# 28
03-23-2012, 09:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by utio
You're right, and if I remember correctly it was released a while ago now, and I may be wrong here, but isn't it the only ship that transwarps everywhere? Pretty sure that it'd sell well if that's the case.
I really don't see many around anymore, maybe one or two.
Though, at release, I'm sure it was very popular.
It doesn't transwarp everywhere, but to most sectors, and can possibly fail as seen in ST III. Really that's its only special ability, and you can only use it in sector space. Compared with the options you have now the Excelsior isn't really that great of a cruiser to begin with. It's got a pretty tight turning radius but compared to the Sov it's not that different.
Lt. Commander
# 29
03-23-2012, 09:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by superchum View Post
The Galaxy X came before the Excelsior.

But the Excelsior was the most requested ship from the players. It won a poll soundly. And then they made it the most offensive oriented cruiser in the game, a game based on people who are fans of the Enterprise ... a cruiser.

The topic is kind of rigged. Of course the Excelsior is the most popular item on the c-store. It's half the peoples' favorite ship. It turns better than any of the Galaxy Class cruisers. So people feel like they fly better in it. And for min maxxers it's better.

There's no contest.
That's an interesting point too, The Galaxy-X. Aside from being bigger and having a way worse turning radius, the Galaxy-X is dang near identical to the Excelsior. They are both tactical ships but the Galaxy-X at least has two special abilities that you can use in combat.. That's the bigger kicker to the Galaxy-X and why you tend to see more of them now than the Excelsior alone.
Lt. Commander
# 30
03-23-2012, 10:00 AM
That's the problem with STO they are doing what they like, not what the customers like. This game and company needs new management.