Lt. Commander
# 1 All guns on STO
03-22-2012, 03:32 PM
Cryptic has done something very few companies in the MMO industry ever attempt. What's more they've done it twice. They have two functioning non-fantasy genre MMOs. As I look at the battlefield littered with WoW-clones... LotRO, DDO, Conan, Warhammer, RIFT, ****, EverQuest, and probably lots more, I wonder what hope there is for Neverwinter.

Star Trek is *by far* the most valuable IP in the non-fantasy genre currently available. It begs the question of why Cryptic is even attempting Neverwinter. The current game engine is not graphically up to par with any of the other Fantasy MMOs and the content dev teams stretched to breaking points (my own assumption).

I know a lot of time and money has to have gone in to Neverwinter already, but I think it's going to be a non-starter. I'd pull those resources and pour them in to STO which will be a much stronger differentiation in the market.

Dan Stahl's vision for STO is great. It would appear that all he needs is money and time. NW seems to be a drain on both and a distraction to Cryptic. NW even appears to be a competitor to PWE's own games (fantasy MMOs). It doesn't seem to make sense for Cryptic to make such a risky power play in to the MMO market when they obviously do not have the resources to compete with even the top 5 titles.

CO seems to have been placed in a distant 3rd place which I think is also mistake. But I have to concede that STO has far greater marketing. Capitalize on the uniqueness of these genres in an industry overflowing with failed fantasy titles. I'm sure Neverwinter has all sorts of awesome bits in it, but I just don't see it being even a short-term revenue earner in this saturated market.... And I want more STO love!
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-22-2012, 03:37 PM
Most valuable?

In the Mirror Universe maybe...
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-22-2012, 03:40 PM
Quote:
Most valuable?
Well... change to "High value IP". The point being to play to their strengths where that market is much less competitive. As opposed to trying to compete in a very hard market.
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-22-2012, 03:43 PM
did you just call everquest a WoW clone?

I think either someone's too young to be commenting, or you really have had your head in the sand.

if anything all of those are EQ clones and EQ is a FF clone.
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-22-2012, 03:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by yogurt21
did you just call everquest a WoW clone?
I got that far, my head hit the desk, and I had to take my last couple of Excedrin...heh, EQ a WoW-clone. He did say it... arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggghh!
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-22-2012, 04:02 PM
lol once you've read it.. you can't unread it.
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-22-2012, 04:15 PM
So I heard someone said EverQuest is a WoW clone....
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-22-2012, 04:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liath
lol once you've read it.. you can't unread it.
>.< This at least made that funny...
Lt. Commander
# 9
03-22-2012, 04:20 PM
You do know that WoW is infact a clone of Warhammer I hope. Blizzard wanted to release a Warhammer MMO not their own IP. They created the bones of the game and Gamesworjsop said no, now whoever did that must have been taken out and given a good hiding near the bins. They decided not to waste their time, money or effort and so reworked it to fit their IP instead.

LotRO and DDO are nopt WoW clones nor can they ever be considered as such.

As to the value of the IP that's of no consequence if it is treated abismally. I'll leave it to others to decide how this valuable IP has been treated as I haven't watched it over the yeras nor been a part of it until recently.
Lt. Commander
# 10
03-22-2012, 04:43 PM
"A player-created content system codenamed "Foundry" will allow players to create their own stories and quests."

"On October 5, 2011, it was announced that the gameplay of Neverwinter will be re-structured into a Free-to-play MMO in which the game itself is free to play, but items and other advantages are available for purchase with a credit or debit card for an as yet unannounced fee."

In other words, Orcish Lockboxes and another unfinished, get rich quick cash cow that's going to suck. I was excited about this when information was first released but somewhat less than enthused since the PW takeover.