Lt. Commander
# 1 Weird random colors
03-20-2012, 10:42 AM
I am getting weird random colors at some times, with missing graphics on some characters, etc...Changing resolutions seems to solve this occasionally, but if I have to restart the game, it will come back again. It makes everything look like an LSD trip
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-20-2012, 07:17 PM
9 Views And No Responses, You Guys Are About As Helpful As A No Legged Man In An *** Kicking Contest...
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-20-2012, 07:40 PM
If possible can up link in a txt of a dxdiag for your system specs aswell as provide any screenshots to make it easier to help us diagnose this issue.

If you are using an AMD/ATI graphics card and have installed catalyst 12.2 / 12.3 if possible can you revert to 12.1 as for now there is compatibility issues between sto and those drivers.
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-20-2012, 07:52 PM
My other issue which I have had no help on and perhaps you can help, is when I start the game for the first time, it logs in fine, when I exit the game and restart it later, my level 41 character keeps crashing before the game even loads. If I re-download the game( which takes HOURS) I can play with no troubles what so ever, it is only when I exit the game and restart later, that this happens...Why is it doing this and how do I keep it from happening in the future... And I got the graphics problem fixed, if I play in 1680X whatever, on 60 hz, that fixes it. Anyways, my biggest problem is the crashing on my level 41 character...
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-20-2012, 08:07 PM
I would launch in safe mode with file verification on and just turn up the settings one at a time till it crashes, if your graphics card does not support DX11 then try stick to DX9 mode in the troubleshooting (some have card only capable of DX10.1 but the dev's skipped support for that and went direct to 11) my guess also is post processing is on (has been an issue for many in the past) also how much ram do you have in your system and how much is the game using before and after as I had an issue with the ram on my system till i added more (not the cheapest solution but can help alot).

When you log in the character select screen make sure when you pick your character that you select load in safe mode as that will preserve your character files more then just normal login, also what map are you crashing on?, if its only on the one map then might need to contact support and get them to move your character to another location so you can test if it happens on other maps if need you can grab the Tribble Test Server build and copy your character over to check what works on that build (this also help in keeping up to date on patches ).

edit: forgot to mention when you did a reinstall of the game did you delete all the files and folders related to the game aswell as make sure your registry is clear of any cryptic/sto related reg files? you might have a corrupt file/registry or so lingering between the reinstalls.
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-20-2012, 08:22 PM
I have done the safe mode/verify. I have about 4 gigs of ram. Also, I am not sure how run it in DX9/11 mode. I am not sure how to log in my character in safe mode on the select character screen. Currently, I am playing a mission related the 2800 story line, could that be the problem? I have not seen anyone else with this issue that I am having. The last time I played this game was about a year ago, and the game worked fine everytime I would start it up. I recently re-downloaded and purchased gold level access, and this was a couple days ago. For example, I was playing on Saturday night with no problems( this was when I started the game for the first time) I come back on Sunday and it was giving me problems I re-installed it Monday, again, no problems with it, when I go to restart tonight, busted again...
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-20-2012, 09:21 PM
if you have a antivirus installed, depending on what one, my guess also is that it could be mis detecting a file or two from sto when your playing between patches.

to run your character in safe mode the option will be given if you crash midgame when selecting your character to login with, if your not gettin the option then you cannot. when it comes to changing between DX9/11 - beta the option is under video > troubleshooting then the option at the top of that section, also set your memory usage to the max of your graphics card a bit further below in the list in the same section near the bottom.

with the ram are you running anyother programs you don't need if so close them out then try run the game to free up some ram space.
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-21-2012, 10:19 AM
Well, I can't explain it, but when my computer reset early this morning, I can now play the game with no issues or crashing...
Lt. Commander
# 9
03-21-2012, 04:06 PM
Did anything change from before and after that restart?

eitherway glad to see your able to game again
Lt. Commander
# 10
03-21-2012, 09:12 PM
Thanks, not sure, but it updated when it reset...So maybe the Nvidia drivers updated or something? Dunno, just glad I don't have the problem anymore