Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 41 I disagree...
03-24-2012, 01:40 PM
I think the old Doff system was click for exp/dilithium/etc, and the new one has made it an immersive game. I suppose it's all in how you look at it, but I personally am very excited about the change. I've leveled up 3 different characters almost solely through Doff missions under the old system, and it usually felt quite soul-less and grindy.

Once the changes Heretic mentioned on the first page of this thread are enacted, a truly workable middle ground should be in place.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 42
03-24-2012, 01:50 PM
I don't mind the new system but I have one complaint get those people wearing TOS gear when I am aboard my Constitution, Barman and Chef are fine as they are not wearing 23rd century uniforms but the 25th modern uniforms breaks the feel of the ship.

Also why is the Constitution interiors Jeffries Tube floor red instead of white?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 43
03-24-2012, 02:56 PM
The downside I see to the proposed change of adding buttons to the department heads to show the missions without going inside the ship is that again it breaks the flow of information.

All of the non specific shipboard ones should be available on the personal tab, let the buttons on the department heads act as a filter to show only those missions when you are trying to focus on a specific type of XP , but let the personal tab show the complete range.

I don't mind the ones for making prototypes,consoles, cooking and bar-tending and the like being inside the ship as long as they aren't sector based, but everything else should be shown on the personal tab in full.

Anything else breaks the flow of information and just makes it harder to compare assignment A against B
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 44
03-24-2012, 05:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by infamousX View Post
I think the old Doff system was click for exp/dilithium/etc, and the new one has made it an immersive game. I suppose it's all in how you look at it, but I personally am very excited about the change. I've leveled up 3 different characters almost solely through Doff missions under the old system, and it usually felt quite soul-less and grindy.

Once the changes Heretic mentioned on the first page of this thread are enacted, a truly workable middle ground should be in place.
What is the game to you? Seriously.

A game is a series of interesting choices. In order for choices to be interesting they must be (1) different, (2) comprehensible. If they are not different, they fail to be interesting because the choice didn't matter. If they are not comprehensible, they fail to be interesting because you couldn't make an informed choice.

The current implementation fails on comprehensibility. There is too much information that takes too much time to get to make an informed choice.

Once it fails to be a series of interesting choices, it becomes clicking for credit.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 45
03-24-2012, 06:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithustus View Post
How about, alternatively, you give us a tab for each contact on the doff window, or, better yet, simply restore all the previous information, but now by including all the new types of fabrication missions and whatnot, too. Just please restore ONBOARD with everything. Playing without it is not much fun at all. When the choice is between detail and fun appears, you're supposed to choose fun. Walking around inside is a choice for useless grind.
How about, alternatively, you read posts made and previously linked in the thread (that really should be stickied ...) - here, I'll quote it in its entirety too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heretic
Yesterday we had a number of discussions, both technical and design-intent.

We will be building buttons on the department head part of the duty officer UI that will allow you to access the random assignments on your ship interior as if you were talking to the Science Officer, Operations Officer, etc.

Some caveats to this:
  • Static assignments will not be accessible via this. If you want to do the third and fourth steps of "Children's Toys", order a hypo, schedule a Counselor session or order a drink, you will need to go into your ship interior.
  • Other people who want to access your ship interior assignments will have to go to your ship interior (meaning, of course, you will have to go into your ship interior and invite them if you are feeling nice).
  • The ship interior assignments are - at least for now - going to stay on a 20h reset.
  • Filtering still happens at a map level, meaning as you move sectors, even though the reset hasn't happened, occasionally some assignments may appear and disappear.

There is a lot of macro design thinking behind this, and we'll have to see how people use this normatively in the wild, and adjust as necessary. I think this will accomplish most of the goals and minimize the irritation while still rewarding socialization.
Now, I know Squirreloid will complain mightily that there are still different assignments on different maps (i.e. the Do X in System Y crap) and there are the justified complaints that this should have been caught sooner (what is the point of tribble?), but quite frankly that seems to more or less restore the functionality of the old doff system while allowing for more shipboard missions and giving those of us who don't enjoy waiting for the shipboard chains to come up the choice to go in our ship and do the chains instead of checking every hour for the mission to grace our Shipboard tab with its presence.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 46
03-24-2012, 06:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zekesulastin


Now, I know Squirreloid will complain mightily that there are still different assignments on different maps (i.e. the Do X in System Y crap) and there are the justified complaints that this should have been caught sooner (what is the point of tribble?), but quite frankly that seems to more or less restore the functionality of the old doff system while allowing for more shipboard missions and giving those of us who don't enjoy waiting for the shipboard chains to come up the choice to go in our ship and do the chains instead of checking every hour for the mission to grace our Shipboard tab with its presence.

It also means that instead of a long list of assignments that are easy to compare A vs B, you have different pages opening up that make that a lot harder to do.

Old system , simple list, easy to read and compare - new system, many more clicks, harder to compare, still painful to operate with, still sector based missions.

Overall, still less functional than what we had, still not good enough.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 47
03-24-2012, 06:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaele501
It also means that instead of a long list of assignments that are easy to compare A vs B, you have different pages opening up that make that a lot harder to do.

Old system , simple list, easy to read and compare - new system, many more clicks, harder to compare, still painful to operate with, still sector based missions.

Overall, still less functional than what we had, still not good enough.
Nah, its more functional then before. The point of this was to open up chains that could take weeks to show up or never to appear for some people. Yes it is early in the stages but it is a good step forward and opens up a lot of potential for future ship interior and social zone unique DOFF missions.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 48
03-24-2012, 07:22 PM
I don't care about the different sectors, it was perfectly reasonable to tour the entire galaxy in half an hour and check every sector before.

I'd like the ability to check every available assignment in half an hour again. More time than that and it stops being fun. I do occasionally like to play the rest of teh game too.

I'd also prefer if we went back to an implementation that didn't kill bit.ly/DOFFJOBS. Encouraging you to invite people to your ship so they can grab an assignment does not really increase social aspects - its not like they're going to stay and chat, they're going to beam out and get back to DOffing.

Killing DOFFJOBS usefulness, otoh, is killing what social aspect there was.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 49
03-24-2012, 09:46 PM
I was going to post a rage, but will hold it until I see how the department head buttons work out.

That being said, I think that the interior DOffs add an unnecessary, annoying complication to a simple, elegant system.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 50
03-24-2012, 09:51 PM
I like being able to look through my shipboard assignments when I'm looking for cxp grinders in a category.

Checking my shipboard every sector for rare missions like instigate, support, asylum, etc? Not so much.

I realize there's value in going quickly from concept to production, but I think the current process is too far to that extreme; there's currently little incentive for players to really do much in-depth testing because things show up only a few days before going live, and there isn't enough time for proper feedback and adjustments.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:36 PM.