Lt. Commander
# 1 Applying to work at Cryptic
03-23-2012, 03:35 PM
I'm wondering if any Devs could give us links to apply to work at Cryptic.

A lot of people around these parts say they can update faster than Cryptic, so I'd love to help both them get a better job and Cryptic get high-quality staff, by hooking them up
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-23-2012, 03:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewteddy
I'm wondering if any Devs could give us links to apply to work at Cryptic.

A lot of people around these parts say they can update faster than Cryptic, so I'd love to help both them get a better job and Cryptic get high-quality staff, by hooking them up
http://crypticstudios.com/openings

They will most likely utterly fail though.
its always easy to be fast in theory, but then you get your first schedule and... ah well they have to find the rest out themselves or look at some of the dev posts
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-23-2012, 03:55 PM
I remember working security at the front desk of my condo (residential tower) the day the power went out.

Everyone was calling me to ask what was going on. I told them; the power was out. They asked if I called Hydro ("Mains" in Europe) yet, and I said I was just about to. The phone rang non-stop. Some asking me what was going on, others where the blackout effected, others asking me if I knew there was a blackout. At one point, one person who had called 15 minutes earlier came to the desk. I finished up a call and asked him if he needed help. He asked if I had chance to call Hydro yet. I said no. He said "And why the hell not" And I said quite simply and bluntly, "I've not had time, as I've been answering the phone". At that moment the phone rang and I said "one moment please". The second line light up before I was done, and during the second call he just walked away... I'd love to see a Dev post "sorry, I've not had time to update the server as I've been too busy answering all the user questions here on the forum"
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-24-2012, 12:00 PM
Wow...those are some very important positions staying vacant (or current occupier wants to leave).
That's...not very good, to be truthful.
In particular not for STO, and I'd assume at least some of these involve STO.

As for those saying they could update faster than our current devs...unless they're people with years of experience in the industry in general or in MMO content creation in particular...they don't know what they're talking about.
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-24-2012, 12:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxstab View Post
As for those saying they could update faster than our current devs...unless they're people with years of experience in the industry in general or in MMO content creation in particular...they don't know what they're talking about.
My fav saying is "put up or shut up", hence why I asked for the link
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-24-2012, 12:15 PM
good luck and godspeed. hope u get the position. cause god knows they need all the help they can get
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-24-2012, 12:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewteddy
My fav saying is "put up or shut up", hence why I asked for the link
They won't apply. Armchair developers know they don't have the skills or the experience to do what they say. Theirs is the attitude of "I think, therefore you will!"

I know. I used to be one of them. But having attempted to coordinate a small development group for a comparatively simple non-MMO project (which is currently on hold), I quickly learned the difference between "knowing what ought to be done," and "knowing what ought to be done involves having to do"

So now I can look at those who develop projects far more complex than my own with a great deal of respect. Now in Cryptic's case, for SOME things, there really isn't an excuse as to why they aren't being done. But I blame the part of Cryptic that prioritizes the workflow, not the ones who actually do the work. Even the Executive Producer does not have complete autonomy. He's told by management what needs to be done. It's probably a long list of things. He then has to hand out the assignments.

We think that Dan comes in in the morning, claps his hands together, and says "Okay everyone, here's what we're going to be doing!"

But more likely he comes in in the morning, does a facepalm, and says "Okay guys. Here's what the suits say we're going to be doing!" and is met with eye-rolls all around...
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-24-2012, 12:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainQuirk View Post
They won't apply.
Put up or Shut up means that I get to tell them to shut up in these cases

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainQuirk View Post
I know. I used to be one of them. But having attempted to coordinate a small development group for a comparatively simple non-MMO project (which is currently on hold), I quickly learned the difference between "knowing what ought to be done," and "knowing what ought to be done involves having to do"

So now I can look at those who develop projects far more complex than my own with a great deal of respect. Now in Cryptic's case, for SOME things, there really isn't an excuse as to why they aren't being done. But I blame the part of Cryptic that prioritizes the workflow, not the ones who actually do the work. Even the Executive Producer does not have complete autonomy. He's told by management what needs to be done. It's probably a long list of things. He then has to hand out the assignments.

We think that Dan comes in in the morning, claps his hands together, and says "Okay everyone, here's what we're going to be doing!"

But more likely he comes in in the morning, does a facepalm, and says "Okay guys. Here's what the suits say we're going to be doing!" and is met with eye-rolls all around...
I used to chief admin (and at other times, assistant admin, and, play) a Political Simulation (a game) that was forum-based. That alone required rejiggering and other stuff, and earned me an appreciation for what admins/developers/moderators go though.
Lt. Commander
# 9
03-24-2012, 12:29 PM
If they'd allow people to work long-distance, I'd apply in a heartbeat... Moving is not really a possibility for me.
Lt. Commander
# 10
03-24-2012, 12:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anazonda View Post
If they'd allow people to work long-distance, I'd apply in a heartbeat... Moving is not really a possibility for me.
I know... This is the 21st century: the Age of the Internet. In a world where we can access our own home or office PCs from off-site, participate in group meetings via live audio/video stream, sublit reports and issue assignments digitally, there is no good reason why people have to move halfway around the world to work for someone, especially someone whose chief products are web-based.
Closed Thread