Lt. Commander
# 11
03-24-2012, 12:42 PM
I hope you don't think by posting a link to Cryptic application page you're going to make people stop complaining. Telling people to make their own game, apply if you can do better and if you don't like it leave have been done plenty of times before and the complaints haven't stopped.

You only started last month so in a month or two you will probably feel the same way as a lot of the complainers.
Lt. Commander
# 12
03-24-2012, 12:52 PM
Making people stop complaining and telling them to are two different things.
Lt. Commander
# 13
03-24-2012, 12:53 PM
Get "Game Design - Combat"; it needs it. At least posting for the help is step one. Someone please get this job and fix the AI.
Lt. Commander
# 14
03-24-2012, 12:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdb2008 View Post
Get "Game Design - Combat"; it needs it. At least posting for the help is step one. Someone please get this job and fix the AI.
How do you know that the position in question is for STO? Remember, Neverwinter is being developed as well. And we don't know for sure whether or not there is another MMO being developed by Cryptic.
Lt. Commander
# 15
03-24-2012, 12:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainQuirk View Post
They won't apply. Armchair developers know they don't have the skills or the experience to do what they say. Theirs is the attitude of "I think, therefore you will!"

I know. I used to be one of them. But having attempted to coordinate a small development group for a comparatively simple non-MMO project (which is currently on hold), I quickly learned the difference between "knowing what ought to be done," and "knowing what ought to be done involves having to do"

So now I can look at those who develop projects far more complex than my own with a great deal of respect. Now in Cryptic's case, for SOME things, there really isn't an excuse as to why they aren't being done. But I blame the part of Cryptic that prioritizes the workflow, not the ones who actually do the work. Even the Executive Producer does not have complete autonomy. He's told by management what needs to be done. It's probably a long list of things. He then has to hand out the assignments.

We think that Dan comes in in the morning, claps his hands together, and says "Okay everyone, here's what we're going to be doing!"

But more likely he comes in in the morning, does a facepalm, and says "Okay guys. Here's what the suits say we're going to be doing!" and is met with eye-rolls all around...
First of all, our forums DO have people who have applied.

Second, what you're talking about comes down to good people in a badly designed system. I think any reasonable armchair developer has experience with that and recognizes that as the part of any workplace. Part of making that work is figuring out ways to spend the same dollar twice and cheat the system to make a superior product. You do what you're bosses tell you but you always have to be creatively working that to ensure that you fulfill objectives above and beyond what you're required to do, especially if you work for a publicly traded company... Which wouldn't exist if I were king. But they do. So it's a matter of figuring out ways to pad the bottom line while making design choices that manage to pad the bottom line while doing things above, beyond, and outside your boss' values, that build loyalty and create satisfaction.

And any company worth their salt will appreciate and reward employees who manage to honor BOTH the mission statements they're handed while creating their own.

And I think the big hits we've had from Cryptic were people doing just that.

So I think if the development team model isn't augmented both with people looking to produce more and better work than they need to and with the ability of people in the system to have the autonomy to improve the process, a project or product ultimately doesn't deserve to exist.

To that end, I really think the lunatics need to be the ones running the asylum and would appreciate the idea of the larger game companies employing a more hands off process of funding game designers to simply be excellent... And if a system of that with a kind of "free range game design" seal could be adopted in the industry, I'd probably only buy games with that seal going forward and pour money into them.

I'm getting tired of business models that seem to be designed by actuaries and accountants. Service is a soft science at best and I'd like to have more options to support businesses run more around customer service and relationships than hard tables and numbers.
Lt. Commander
# 16
03-24-2012, 02:01 PM
Hey, try it, you've got nothing to lose. However, don't get your hopes up or ditch your daily job. Years of quality dev experience and in-depth knowledge of their own engine didn't qualify for at least a hand written response. So unless you have some uber game dev skills and a taste for low salary, it is highly unlikely that you get anything but a canned response. Also, I suppose there is no option to work from home office. You would have to move to Los Gatos to take the job.

Best of luck to you!

PS.: If you want to dev around, why not try the foundry and make some missions?
Closed Thread