Lt. Commander
# 1 Fed & Kling in same teams
03-23-2012, 05:46 PM
Does it matter anymore that Federation and Klingon Players are separated and restricted from teaming together in PvP/PvE? Has it ever really mattered beyond a short time after launch?

There's already the uneasy alliance vs the borgs and STFs permit mixed teams.

Overzealous Star Trek nerdness aside, would it matter much to open up the regular PvE missions for both factions? Such that a Federation player could invite a Klingon player, to help him with his Federation missions and vice versa?

Taking it one step further and shuffle all Fed/Kling PvP players in to the same pool. This would add a larger pool to draw players from for PvP matches at all times and opens up for introducing an ELO based system to make more appropriately matched teams of players of similar skill.
PvP could be labeled the 'Wargames' it partly already is or dub it "Tactical Planning and Readiness Testing for Gamma Quadrant Skirmishes" for lore fluff.

Wouldn't the gameplay as a whole stand to benefit from it rather than segregating Klingon and Federation players?
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-23-2012, 08:16 PM
The fact of the matter is that Cryptic never really understood the klingon Empire government or it's military.
The klingon empire fleet is actually pretty small despite this fact the klingon species as a whole has a large fleet in fact larger then the federation fleet.
You see the klingon empire handles it's ships much like how we handle our vehicle owner ship. Any klingon can have ship. This was the effect from the fact that klingon space has vast amounts of dilithium rich moons far more then any other species in star trek.

So even after the klingon empire and the federation went to war due to the fact they where ally's some klingon houses would still side with the federation despite other houses siding with the empire.

This fact escaped the programmers knowledge when they first created Star trek online and is not common knowledge among most of the star trek fans.
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-24-2012, 05:06 AM
So if some houses sided with the Federation, it would support the case of having Klingon and Federation players teamed up together from a lore perspective.
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-24-2012, 06:13 AM
it would give cryptic a legitimate reason not to come out with more content for Klingon's. but if they do plan to have Faction wars in this game they would have to create a new faction from scratch.
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-24-2012, 08:44 AM
If they linked it to levels of Marauder/Diplomacy then there would be a reason for co-operation. Say, if you get two levels, you can be invited to a mixed team and if you get three you can invite to a mixed team.
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-24-2012, 08:46 AM
I would like to be able to do cross-faction teaming to make it easier to do STFs. Sure, you can do this in a private queue, but if you're short people and have no one else around, you can't invite public players in. It makes doing STFs kind of extra annoying on my KDF.
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-24-2012, 08:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by krisslanza View Post
I would like to be able to do cross-faction teaming to make it easier to do STFs. Sure, you can do this in a private queue, but if you're short people and have no one else around, you can't invite public players in. It makes doing STFs kind of extra annoying on my KDF.
I think the Featured Episode could have really used this as well. Operation Gamma as a team was gread Fed side. But I had to run KDF solo. There is a lot of similar missions in the story arcs, and having the option to do them as a team would probably encourage more teaming. And that is a good thing.

As to your forming mixed teams for STF, at the very least this option should be an unlock on joining Omega Force and would probably be a nice fix to the "I hate PUGs but can't stop PUGing" threads that pop up every couple of days.