Lt. Commander
# 1 $25 game expansion?
03-24-2012, 07:01 AM
Is it time for one? I donít know ******** but I do know they have done it since I have seen it on store shelves. Well does STO need one? If it was the only way to get that Romulan faction that some want in game. Would you pay $19.95 or $25. Bla Bla we need this first or whatever. Leave that out of this thread. Just a straight answer do you think if they add something as large as factions in game should they not charge for a expansion.

I think so... It it means a more complete expansion with real time and money going into it. I think that was a big big mistake with the Klingons. The fed side was not even really ready for live when the game came out. I think the klingons should of been ignored and all eyes on the Feds. Once live and some improvments... 6-9 months later a complete $25 Klingon expansion on par with the feds. "If it works and brings in money do again in 12 months or shorter with a another faction. Take your time spend some money making it and then charge eXtra for it.
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-24-2012, 07:07 AM
it a free 2 play game it's a bad idea to have people pay for expansions. let alone in game content.
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-24-2012, 07:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaarashi
it a free 2 play game it's a bad idea to have people pay for expansions. let alone in game content.
F2P games have to make money still.

Selling expansions, whether in the form of a major expansion or in the form of smaller content expansions...as such, is not a bad idea. It's actually a common idea.

As for Cryptic and STO though, they'd have to hire a bunch of folks to do anything like that... and then unless they were planning to do it consistently, they'd have to fire a bunch of folks after doing it. Unless they just contracted them for particular jobs...
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-24-2012, 07:18 AM
if im buying ships for that amount id certainly buy content, but one of the appeals of the game is content is free. im not sure how paid expansions work in a free to play game.

but yes i would, not so sure how others would react.
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-24-2012, 07:19 AM
$9.99, would be a fairer price imo, given that it's free to play.
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-24-2012, 07:22 AM
Didn't LOTRO sell an x-pac recently? I think DDO is working on one as well, aren't they? So its not unheard of for a F2P game to do.
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-24-2012, 07:22 AM
LOTRO still has 30 or 50$ expansion cant remember what there last one was at when it came out and its F2P and one of the best to for a F2P game
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-24-2012, 07:26 AM
It can and has been done in a f2p matrix,DCUO does paid expansions,like 10-15 bucks every expansion but if u r their version of a gold player then u get the expansions for free.
Lt. Commander
# 9
03-24-2012, 07:27 AM
Naw, ships are the way to make money. Everyone wants shiny new ships. Hell, people even gamble their money to have a rare ship (or not).

It's cool that the content is free. Makes us F2P bums stick around, maybe for enough time to become real paying customers.
Lt. Commander
# 10
03-24-2012, 07:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hravik
Didn't LOTRO sell an x-pac recently? I think DDO is working on one as well, aren't they? So its not unheard of for a F2P game to do.
DDO has all sorts of content like that. They have free zones (and occasionally add more) and 'premium' zones that you pay a one shot fee to have access to.