Lt. Commander
# 21
03-24-2012, 07:15 AM
Champions Online (cryptics other games) have $15 adventure packs. Free for gold members, or cpoints individually.
Lt. Commander
# 22
03-24-2012, 07:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hravik
The question is tho, and then what? Are we talking contracting stuff out, or permanent new devs? And just six months? That's a pretty short development cycle, even for an xpac, and that's been STO major's achilles heel from the start. Everything was rushed, half finished, and full of bugs.
First, I don't think 6 months is a short time. Heck, I see Foundry people here all the time telling me they can make 1 new Mission a week. That means in 6 months one of them could, supposedly, make 26 new Missions. So if you're just looking for a Delta or Gamma Quadrant EP then 6 months is plenty of time.

But what it primarily does is generate new revenue. So they hire 10 Devs for 6 months to make this new Gamma Quadrant EP. If it sells well, maybe they get to keep 2 or 3 of those new Devs permanently. The goal here is to keep expanding the base STO team - the more people on the team the more things we can get from it. I know everyone wants an immediate surge but that's generally not how most companies grow. They grow at a steady pace determined by income.
Lt. Commander
# 23
03-24-2012, 07:21 AM
there many other ways for a F2P game to make money. restricting content except for those who pay is not free 2 play. u have those other games who already restrict their game content, so coming out with paid expansions may work. but for a game like this with few restrictions it will not work. look at champions online who at the beginning of F2P had paid adventure packs. a few weeks later they change that and made it free. they've already stated that they won't be doing adventure pack.
Lt. Commander
# 24
03-24-2012, 07:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic_One View Post
First, I don't think 6 months is a short time. Heck, I see Foundry people here all the time telling me they can make 1 new Mission a week. That means in 6 months one of them could, supposedly, make 26 new Missions. So if you're just looking for a Delta or Gamma Quadrant EP then 6 months is plenty of time.
For professionally done content, yes, that's an incredibly short amount of time. Its not just about missions. For me to want to shell out cash for something, there has to be something new and fresh about what I'm getting.

Not to knock the foundry authors, but I for one would certainly not pay out money for foundry quality work, especially since it will most likely be bugged and not fixed for weeks or months. And given Cryptic's track record with bugs lately, that is a fair assumption to make. If I wanted just something we can get out of the foundry, I already have the foundry for that.
Lt. Commander
# 25
03-24-2012, 07:33 AM
Quote:
Not to knock the foundry authors, but I for one would certainly not pay out money for foundry quality work, especially since it will most likely be bugged and not fixed for weeks or months. And given Cryptic's track record with bugs lately, that is a fair assumption to make. If I wanted just something we can get out of the foundry, I already have the foundry for that.
i have to agree to me its like going from a smartphone back to a cell phone from the late 1980s
Lt. Commander
# 26 agree
03-24-2012, 07:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamPD View Post
$9.99, would be a fairer price imo, given that it's free to play.

This would be a great price. or for C-store points (about 700 C-store)
Lt. Commander
# 27
03-24-2012, 07:41 AM
Quote:
For professionally done content, yes, that's an incredibly short amount of time. Its not just about missions. For me to want to shell out cash for something, there has to be something new and fresh about what I'm getting.
A new zone, like Gamma Quadrant, with new races and new Missions seems more then good enough for me.

Quote:
I didn't say use the Foundry system - the STO system is much more advanced then the Foundry system. I'm simply saying that you can make engaging stories in a relatively short time.

I personally think the FEs are too elaborate. Too much time is spent creating things we hardly use once it's done. Look at all the time that went into the Bajor ground map. How many times have you been there when you weren't doing the Mission? How often do you go to Defera just to hang out? Look at all the effort that went into the Reman FE maps that only get used once, or in Replay. That amount of resource time is completely wasted, IMO.

There are a lot of Missions in STO that are very good that have very simple maps - the story makes them good. There's no reason an entire string of new Missions couldn't be made like that. This game has very simple needs, but it's biggest need is more things for people to do at end-game. You won't keep people here if all they can do is the same STFs and Dailies over and over and over and over. And without people there's no money.
Lt. Commander
# 28
03-24-2012, 07:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic_One View Post
I didn't say use the Foundry system - the STO system is much more advanced then the Foundry system. I'm simply saying that you can make engaging stories in a relatively short time.
That's the thing though. You're talking about pumping out a bunch of missions and a whole new sector in a very short amount of time. How much time and resources went into the last FE series, and how many plot holes does it have that you can drive an Odyssey class starship through? Who the heck is this Shon guy? When did I save his crew? I remember warping away as his ship blew up. Since when can a Jem'Hadar who is genetically programmed to obey the Founders just do as he pleases, and take enough of his ships and crew with him to be a threat. Why are we letting Klingons near our highly secret and secure prison facility? The list goes on and on.

That's just five missions that they've had close to a year to work on and tweak the story for. Now magnify that by enough to content to put together in a package to sell. That's a recipe for disaster if I ever heard it.
Lt. Commander
# 29
03-24-2012, 07:51 AM
I would be more than happy to pay for content like CO's adventure packs and DDO's modules.

AFTER KDF IS FINISHED.

Nothing will make me ragequit harder than a whole song-and-dance of 'well, we spent our time making this pay module stuff, but don't worry! With the money we'll make we'll finally get around to KDF! This time we mean it!'
Lt. Commander
# 30
03-24-2012, 07:52 AM
Quote:
That's the thing though. You're talking about pumping out a bunch of missions and a whole new sector in a very short amount of time. How much time and resources went into the last FE series, and how many plot holes does it have that you can drive an Odyssey class starship through?
The FEs don't use the Genesis system, and that might just be part of the problem. The Genesis system allows them to make planetary and system maps quickly. Some of the best Missions in the game, like Past Imperfect, are built simply using the Genesis system. Do you care that the maps aren't unique there? No, because the story is engaging enough that any ground, space, and ship maps work.

2800 is buggy because it was rushed and because they were trying to introduce all these new maps - maps that are nice, but not essential. Sure, a new EP should have at least one nice FE type Mission series in it, but it doesn't need 25 such Missions.

This game needs decent Missions, leveling, end-game, and Daily. Not masterpieces, IMO. YMMV

Quote:
That's just five missions that they've had close to a year to work on and tweak the story for. Now magnify that by enough to content to put together in a package to sell. That's a recipe for disaster if I ever heard it.
Actually they only worked on it 2 months - most of that after the FTP conversion was done. It just took a year to get to us due to the FTP conversion.