Lt. Commander
# 1 Duty Officer Traits Guide
03-24-2012, 09:29 AM
The purpose of this guide is to provide some assistance in identifying which races may best accomodate your DOffing needs and desires. This is especially relevant now with the new personnel officers who give us the ability to choose the race of the officer we receive!

My data for rarer races is limited, so this is a work in progress.

General Notes:
(1) Commendation DOffs are handcrafted and may or may not correspond to trait distributions for 'random' DOffs. Similarly, other hand-crafted DOffs like Elizabeth Mohr have no need to follow standard trait rules.
(2) Some professions seem to affect traits possessed by the DOff.
-Traders tend to have Cunning whether or not the trait shows up at all for the race elsewhere. This is especially true for non-white Traders.
-Diplomats appear to have a chance for Tactful even if that trait never shows up otherwise for the race.
-Entertainers frequently have Congenial

FEDERATION
Core Races:
Human
-Guaranteed Racial: Founders of the Federation
-Secondary Traits
:~70% of humans have Teamwork
:All humans without teamwork have either Aggressive / Stubborn or Congenial / Unscrupulous
:Humans with Teamwork have 1-2 more traits pulling from Peaceful, Emotional, Tactful, Eidetic Memory, Honorable
:Humans never have Spiritual, Logical, Efficient, Resilient, Cold-Blooded, Telepathic
:Aggressive only ever occurs with Stubborn. Congenial only ever occurs with Unscrupulous. (And vice versa).
-Suggested Professions: Tactical (Aggressive), Security Officer (Tactful, Unscrupulous), Technician (Teamwork), Diplomat (Peaceful, Tactful), Trader (Unscrupulous w/ Cunning attribute)
-With the exception of Technicians, most humans will be poorly suited to even these roles as the desired attributes are secondary or even tertiary. Humans will rarely have more than a single critical trait.

Vulcan
-Guaranteed Racial: Founders of the Federation, Logical
-Secondary Traits
:~70% of Vulcans have Telepathic. The other 30% have Eidetic Memory.
:Vulcans with Eidetic Memory rarely (possibly never) have a 4th trait.
:Telepathic Vulcans tend to have a 4th trait which is drawn from: Tactful, Stubborn, Spiritual, Peaceful, Teamwork
:Cunning is a possible 4th trait on Traders
-Suggested Professions: Science (Logical, Eidetic), Security Officer (Telepathic, Tactful), Advisor (Telepathic, Tactful, Logical), Diplomat (Logical, Tactful, Peaceful), Biochemist (Logical, Eidetic), Trader (Telepathic, Cunning)
-Vulcans are always at least good at these jobs, with the chance to be exceptional. Logical / Eidetic Vulcans are the best scientists in the game. Vulcans are also among the better Diplomats and among the best Advisors.

Tellarite
-Guaranteed Racial: Founders of the Federation, Stubborn
-Secondary Traits
:~Rarely have a third trait. I've only seen Emotional and Tactful.
-Suggested Professions: Armory Officer (Stubborn)
-Tellarites are lousy DOffs, and even at the one job they handle well they're still only passable with but a single crit trait (and for only some armory jobs).

Andorians
-Guaranteed Racial: Founders of the Federation
-Secondary Traits
:Almost all Andorians will have at least two of: Aggressive, Honorable, Emotional
:Four traits are possible. In addition to picking up the last of the above, I've seen Tactful and of course Cunning on traders.
-Suggested Professions: Trader (Honorable, Cunning), Advisor/Diplomat (Honorable, Tactful), Tactical (Aggressive), Assault (Aggressive)
-Aside from Tactical, Andorians tend to be niche DOffs. There are a few jobs where being Honorable as a trader is of value, for example. Similarly, Honorable comes up occasionally for Advisor or Diplomat, but not frequently. Emotional is also sometimes useful for an Advisor.

Uncommon Races:
Deltans
-Guaranteed Racial: Seductive
-Secondaries: Frequently have Telepathic

Betazoids
-Guaranteed Racial: Telepathic
-Secondaries: ?

Caitians
-Guaranteed Racial: None
-Secondaries: Typically two of: Honorable, Aggressive, Emotional, Unruly
-Recommended Professions: Tactical (Aggressive), Security (Honorable)
-Not a very strong DOff race.

Rigellians
-Guaranteed Racial: Spiritual
-Secondaries: ? (seen emotional once)
-Frequently only have Spiritual, making it hard to draw general conclusions. Spiritual is used only rarely for DOff assignments.

Bolians
-Guaranteed Racial: Congenial
-Secondaries: Frequently None
-Not a very strong DOff race.

Benzites
-Guaranteed Racial: None
-Secondaries: Typically two of: Efficient, Resilient, Logical, Stubborn
-Recommended Professions: Geologist (Logical, Efficient), Armory (Resilient, Stubborn), Engineering (Efficient)

Saurians
-Guaranteed Racial: Cold-Blooded, Resilient
-Secondaries: seen peaceful, teamwork, (tactful - possibly profession based)

Trill
-Guaranteed Racial: Teamwork
-Secondaries: Frequently None
-Recommended Professions: Technician

Gamma Quadrant:
Bajorans
-Guaranteed Racial: Resolve (some Bajorans are bugged and have only spiritual)
-Secondaries
:~30% of Bajorans are Aggressive / Unruly
:All other Bajorans have two of: Spiritual, Efficient, Emotional, Tactful, Honorable
:Traders may add Cunning
-Recommended Professions: Engineering (Efficient), Advisor / Diplomat (Tactful, Honorable)

Karemmans

Cardassians
-Guaranteed Racial: Resolve
-Secondaries: two of Eidetic Memory, Emotional, Unscrupulous, Congenial

Paradans

Data on some GQ species lacking due to previously bugged officer exchange.
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-24-2012, 09:29 AM
KDF DOffs coming at some point =P. RESERVED
Career Officer
# 3
06-23-2012, 04:03 PM
I think there should be a *few* humans with the spiritual trait. There's enough evidence in Star Trek canon that spirituality plays at least some role in Federation Society (albeit minor). I'm not arguing for a flood of space priests, I'm just pointing out that there are humans in Star Trek that have a clear spiritual background that they are not necessarily dismissive of.

Chakotay is probably the prime example but to a lesser degree throughout several of the series there are hints at a subculture.
Lt. Commander
# 4
06-25-2012, 04:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelunarboy View Post
I think there should be a *few* humans with the spiritual trait. There's enough evidence in Star Trek canon that spirituality plays at least some role in Federation Society (albeit minor). I'm not arguing for a flood of space priests, I'm just pointing out that there are humans in Star Trek that have a clear spiritual background that they are not necessarily dismissive of.

Chakotay is probably the prime example but to a lesser degree throughout several of the series there are hints at a subculture.
Really? There are entire species which have virtually zero utility in the doff system, and your takeaway from this post is "oh noes, my RL personal beliefs aren't being satisfied by the secondary traits!"
--------------
We are PWE. Your forums and game accounts will be added to our own. Your community will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile.
Career Officer
# 5
06-25-2012, 03:35 PM
Noooo it isn't what I took away from the post. I just contributed my point in a thread that had at least some connection to what I was talking about as I didn't see the need to start a whole new topic.

Capiche?
Rihannsu
# 6
06-26-2012, 09:22 PM
Vorta, Telekinetic, usually efficient and tactful.

good scientists, and you need TK for some assignments.
Career Officer
# 7
06-27-2012, 08:19 AM
This thread has inspired me to start taking down notes.

I'm noting down the "positive" (Crit Success, Success) and "Negative" (Failure, Disaster) traits for each specialization ("Security Officer" or "Armory Officer", but not "Security" or "Tactical") as I come across assignments so I can get an idea of if a particular DOff is useful or not. I'm mainly doing this so I know who to trade off first with those 5-for-1 upgrade missions.

Does anyone know if this was already done, and I'm wasting my time?
Community Moderator
# 8
06-27-2012, 08:28 AM
I almost wonder if this isn't a bit backward.

What I'd really like to know, in a straightforward way, is what specializations are most useful within the commendation categories, which traits are most useful for each specialization and which races are most likely to have those traits.

In other words... unless I am building a race-specific crew, it's more important to me to know which specializations I need and which traits are best and worst for that specialization. Then if I know which races are most likely to have the traits I want, I can make an intelligent decision about what to buy and what to get rid of.
Career Officer
# 9
06-27-2012, 08:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by markhawkman View Post
What I'd really like to know, in a straightforward way, is what specializations are most useful within the commendation categories, which traits are most useful for each specialization and which races are most likely to have those traits.

In other words... unless I am building a race-specific crew, it's more important to me to know which specializations I need and which traits are best and worst for that specialization. Then if I know which races are most likely to have the traits I want, I can make an intelligent decision about what to buy and what to get rid of.
This is exactly what I'm compiling a spreadsheet for. Anybody know if it's already been done before?
Ensign
# 10
07-11-2012, 08:06 AM
I'm not aware of any spreadsheet similar to what you are discussing. I know thre would be a number of folks interested though!