Lt. Commander
# 21
04-08-2012, 11:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
I'm curious to know what you mean by "common species".
Humans...
Vulcans...
Tellerites...
Andorians...

The ones we get the most of.
Lt. Commander
# 22
04-09-2012, 10:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heretic
...In the pipeline is an update making it occasionally possible to get common species with the Resolve trait from the "Negotiate Prisoner Exchange" assignment. There is also a chance of getting common species with the Resolve trait when doing reassignments (i.e., 5 greens for 1 blue, 5 blues for 1 purple) from the Personnel Officer contacts in the respective Academies.
This is great news!

I'm happy to support the game/DOff system buying GO Packs from the C-Store (as I have done many times, just got another 10 during this last weekend's combined sales!) to get Resolve, but I have one particular Vulcan Captain that flys a D'Kyr for which I'm trying to go all (*mostly) Vulcan crew. And while I figure it would be logical to have a crew with necessary talents (and therefore have Cardassians, Bajorans, etc. to get Resolve), it'll be great to someday find Resolved Vulcans here and there too.

* I say mostly, because he will have some non-Vulcans. I figure it's a Federation ship, there should be some other races, but I'm aiming for ~15% non-Vulcans or fewer. This is roughly the ratio of Vulcans (Spock) vs. Human main characters on Kirk's Enterprise. (And ultimaltely this explains why I can use, for instance, my Amazon Borg BO, or my Tribble Testing DOffs (Romulan, Exocomp, APU), etc. )
Lt. Commander
# 23
04-09-2012, 03:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyNY View Post
Humans...
Vulcans...
Tellerites...
Andorians...

The ones we get the most of.
that's what I'm guessing, but I was hoping Heretic would confirm which races.
Lt. Commander
# 24
04-09-2012, 03:29 PM
Common species (Federation)
Human
Andorian
Vulcan
Tellarite

Common species (Klingon)
Klingon
Orion
Gorn
Nausicaan
Lt. Commander
# 25
04-09-2012, 03:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
I'm curious to know what you mean by "common species".
This is why they need to completely disassociate the terms used to describe quality from terms used to describe commonailty across the game (not just the DOff system). So instead of:
  • Common
  • Uncommon
  • Rare
  • Very Rare

You would instead have:
  • Standard
  • Good
  • Exceptional
    • or High Quality
  • Superior
    • or Very High Quality

That way people will stop being confused on whether such terms are referring to quality of the item or frequency that the item occurs.
Lt. Commander
# 26
04-09-2012, 04:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Direphoenix View Post
This is why they need to completely disassociate the terms used to describe quality from terms used to describe commonailty across the game (not just the DOff system). So instead of:
  • Common
  • Uncommon
  • Rare
  • Very Rare

You would instead have:
  • Standard
  • Good
  • Exceptional
    • or High Quality
  • Superior
    • or Very High Quality

That way people will stop being confused on whether such terms are referring to quality of the item or frequency that the item occurs.
/QFT.

That is all.
Lt. Commander
# 27
04-09-2012, 04:49 PM
For duty officers, as much as possible I try to use the color terms for the above reason.

For assignments, I do use the rarity, because for assignments color is basically yoked - when compared to other assignments of the same categorization - to rarity, and the expression of rarity communicates more useful information.

Color is a very useful UI element, but due to existing convention, if we used a different color scheme people would be confused and frustrated, and where we use the conventional color scheme, people sometimes attach to it assumptions that are not always accurate in this context.
Lt. Commander
# 28
04-09-2012, 05:24 PM
Im having to sell my Powered Alien Artifacts to try and get an engineer with resolve to get a decent chance at a top console, not exacually an easy task as they are expensive at last check on the exchange, been buying the cadres and hoping lol (5 packs and no engies /cry)
Lt. Commander
# 29
04-09-2012, 05:48 PM
Quote:
For duty officers, as much as possible I try to use the color terms for the above reason.
I think the problem is exasperated by the fact that the rarity scheme may not necessarily work (or hasn't been designed accordingly - intuitively, that is) the way it was intended to work. It is causing confusion as you can see.

Ultra-rare Doffs should have their own color and/or some designation as such. Unique doffs as well (and/or both if they apply.)

e.g. A.) New color/naming convention for the ultra-rares. (as an alternative, a text description saying 'Ultra Rare' but with the same coloration would be fine) B.) Unique doff designation saying, "Unique" in clear text on the description of the duty officer.

To whit, unique bridge officers on the C-Store tell you that you can only have one per character. Having a "Unique" label on a duty officer saying, "you can only have one", would be handy for not only the casual player who doesn't expend significant resources poking around on external sites, but it would also make more intuitive sense.

I wouldn't propose getting rid of the color element. However, the one thing we should keep in mind is that there are a lot of color-blind folks (especially in the red-green area). Having some text would be useful to those folks.
Lt. Commander
# 30
04-09-2012, 08:35 PM
Quote:
Common species (Federation)
Human
Andorian
Vulcan
Tellarite

Common species (Klingon)
Klingon
Orion
Gorn
Nausicaan
Thank you. I wasn't sure if you meant those or non-GQ races. I was hoping to see Betazoids and Deltans on the list but I guess that wasn't meant to be.