Lt. Commander
# 1 Sound Glitch
03-25-2012, 11:22 AM
An F2P player I know is having trouble with his sound system on STO - the game's audio doesn't work on his computer (with or without headphones) and doesn't recognize his microphone any more, though STO does see his speaker device. He has uninstalled and reinstalled the software, but is still having problems. He claims everything was working fine the first time he played, but after that began having trouble. And the speakers do work for other applications on his computer.

He has already received a reply to his support ticket, but the response was "useless" as he put it, addressing possibilities such as browser cookies or trying a new browser (which had already been mentioned in his help ticket).

Does anyone who knows what's happening and how to fix it?
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-25-2012, 11:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePsycoticVulcan
An F2P player I know is having trouble with his sound system on STO - the game's audio doesn't work on his computer (with or without headphones) and doesn't recognize his microphone any more, though STO does see his speaker device. He has uninstalled and reinstalled the software, but is still having problems. He claims everything was working fine the first time he played, but after that began having trouble. And the speakers do work for other applications on his computer.

He has already received a reply to his support ticket, but the response was "useless" as he put it, addressing possibilities such as browser cookies or trying a new browser (which had already been mentioned in his help ticket).

Does anyone who knows what's happening and how to fix it?
depends on how he has his audio hooked up. is it through the regular speaker jack or through an HDMI cable?

If his Audio is diverted through his audio card (IE HDMI cable) then it could be a drivers issue. Did he update any drivers between the first time he played when it was working fine and the second time when the problem started?
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-25-2012, 02:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by voicesinthedark View Post
depends on how he has his audio hooked up. is it through the regular speaker jack or through an HDMI cable?

If his Audio is diverted through his audio card (IE HDMI cable) then it could be a drivers issue. Did he update any drivers between the first time he played when it was working fine and the second time when the problem started?
According to him:

"I'm using a RealTek Audio card using normal audio cable (no HDMI.)

Remember, the audio works for every other application and STO sees the audio card - there's just no sound.

And I did notice that at the same time I lost audio, STO no longer see the microphone (USB.) They may or may not be related.

No, I haven't done any updates on the driver -. Checked at the driver date is 18 August 2009. (Yea, it's old.)"
Lt. Commander
# 4 Pretty much giving up....
05-25-2012, 10:06 AM
I've tried working with STO's customer service and they're pretty much caught in a recursive loop:

Loop:
Upgrade drivers
Reinstall STO (takes 2 hours each time)
Make sure STO audio setting are correct (I've provided screen shots to them multiple times)
Turn up volume
Goto Loop

Yep... that's pretty much all they've been telling me for two months.... Almost like the person forgets all they've told me to do and then tells me again and again and again...
Lt. Commander
# 5
05-25-2012, 11:21 AM
I would try updating the audio drivers then. It might not be supported by STO, there could be a bug between the driver and STO, or the driver might have accidentally been removed from STO as it's a really old legacy driver
Lt. Commander
# 6
05-25-2012, 12:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by voicesinthedark View Post
I would try updating the audio drivers then. It might not be supported by STO, there could be a bug between the driver and STO, or the driver might have accidentally been removed from STO as it's a really old legacy driver
uhhh.... I don't want to seem ungrateful or rude, but that was #1 on the loop they keep throwing at me. Been there, done that. Even removed the driver, rebooted and installed clean version.
Lt. Commander
# 7
05-25-2012, 04:26 PM
Ok here you go

Load your Launcher in the Launcher Go to the Advance settings Then in the Command Line

Type this

-ignorex64check

I have the same Audio as you do this works every time if your running a 64bit windows.

But that Command line should work.

Tell them to copy and past it in the Advance Command line then click Ok then restart the Launcher.

Then load the game.Then it should Work not many people know about that Advance Command line.

Has nothing to do with the Audio drivers its the game it self.If the Audio Drivers work fine with other stuff.

Then its the game.Not the Audio drivers.But i am not saying it could have been corrupted.
Lt. Commander
# 8
05-25-2012, 04:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcom46 View Post
Ok here you go

Load your Launcher in the Launcher Go to the Advance settings Then in the Command Line

Type this

-ignorex64check

I have the same Audio as you do this works every time if your running a 64bit windows.

But that Command line should work.

Tell them to copy and past it in the Advance Command line then click Ok then restart the Launcher.

Then load the game.Then it should Work not many people know about that Advance Command line.

Has nothing to do with the Audio drivers its the game it self.If the Audio Drivers work fine with other stuff.

Then its the game.Not the Audio drivers.But i am not saying it could have been corrupted.

Just tried this and it works!!!! Now why doesn't STO know about it?

So my question is, what else does this parameter do? Does it slow down playing the game or anything?
Lt. Commander
# 9
05-25-2012, 04:39 PM
No there just small game tweaks Cryptic knows they just don't want to tell
Lt. Commander
# 10
05-25-2012, 04:40 PM
Oh... and that also fixed the other issue that happened at the same time - STO wouldn't recognize my microphone.... Now it does.

Now I just gotta find the help file to do voice chats with teams.
Closed Thread