Lt. Commander
# 1 Best weapons for a beam boat
03-25-2012, 07:48 PM
What are your opinions on beam boat weapons? This is for a healer cruiser. So I want to be as offensively useful as possible without high weapons power.

Im thinking either Plasma-Disruptor Hybrid or Polarized Tetryon.
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-26-2012, 03:09 AM
Without high weapons power the hardest hitting weapon is torpedoes...

Cruiser almost always means Beam Boat as it compensates wonderfully for the poor turning circle.
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-26-2012, 04:05 AM
I'm all about the phasers. I've also had good luck with a phaser/polaron hybrid, though it costs you two console slots (you'll want a respective booster console for each). Also, make sure to add two EPS consoles. I use two Mk XI purples, because I like to funnel a $#!%-ton of energy through those beams.

Again, your mileage may vary.
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-26-2012, 05:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKnight1000
Without high weapons power the hardest hitting weapon is torpedoes...

Cruiser almost always means Beam Boat as it compensates wonderfully for the poor turning circle.
Right, but as it says in the title, this is for a beam boat. Rather than high weapons and shields, Ill be using high Aux and shields.
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-26-2012, 05:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarek2165
I'm all about the phasers. I've also had good luck with a phaser/polaron hybrid, though it costs you two console slots (you'll want a respective booster console for each).
Why not just use 2 of these:

Console - Tactical - Directed Energy Distribution Manifold

Combined that's a higher boost to your damage than you get using 1 phaser specific and 1 polaron specific and it boosts any other energy type you might feel compelled to try out on the ship.

Quote:
Also, make sure to add two EPS consoles. I use two Mk XI purples, because I like to funnel a $#!%-ton of energy through those beams.

Again, your mileage may vary.
When did they un-nerf EPS consoles to affect weapon power recharge rate again?
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-26-2012, 05:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyprodimus
Right, but as it says in the title, this is for a beam boat. Rather than high weapons and shields, Ill be using high Aux and shields.
You can still effectively use torps in a Beam boat if you're flying a cruiser. Most beam boats run 6 beam arrays and 2 torps. (1 fore, 1 aft).
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-26-2012, 06:02 AM
You should also note that you can fly at high weapons power when you're pushing offense and toggle another power setting for your heals. This way you won't have such gimped damage OR heals when you have to push out one or the other. Batteries and a couple skill selections, if you have room for them in your boff build, can help make this even easier. If you're an engineer, you have even more means to make this work.

Don't always fly with one power setting.

Also I concur with the above -- EPS consoles don't do anything with respect to the energy drain from firing a weapon. I know, as other players seem to like telling me, they used to, but that doesn't matter now.
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-26-2012, 02:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by superchum View Post
Why not just use 2 of these:

Console - Tactical - Directed Energy Distribution Manifold

Combined that's a higher boost to your damage than you get using 1 phaser specific and 1 polaron specific and it boosts any other energy type you might feel compelled to try out on the ship.

When did they un-nerf EPS consoles to affect weapon power recharge rate again?
My power levels never dip below 100 (when running weapons), so I can lay down a continuous stream of firepower. Unless they've now made it to do that automatically, my EPS conduits are what's funneling that energy.

As for the Direct Energy Distribution manifolds, I've always been told to get weapon specific consoles, as they give more boost than generic consoles.
Lt. Commander
# 9
03-27-2012, 03:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyprodimus
OK perhaps I wasn't clear, Torpedoes will hit hard with low weapons power, the issue is getting things into arc. With Beams and low power your going to be doing next to nothing DPS wise, but you'll be able to hit things almost anywhere.

I am leaving the choice to you.
Lt. Commander
# 10
03-27-2012, 05:17 AM
Yeah, at lower weapons power its a given that you do less damage. But Im more concerned with watching health bars than maneuvering for torpedoes.

Im just looking for the most useful proc for a beam boat with low power.

Definately not antiproton.
Maybe disruptors to spread debuffs
or tetryon to drain shields
or phasers in hopes of a shield drop
probably not polaron
and plasma is underpowered