Lt. Commander
# 21
03-27-2012, 11:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shook-Yang
That's not a beam boat.

A beam boat is all beams.
a beam boat to most people is 6-8 beams with torpedos filling any empty slots. I run 6 beams 2 for 2 torp for and 4 rear in stf. In pvp ill do 3 beam 1 torp in each. Reason i changed from 8 beams is the 1 -2 torp in front allow me to drop ships coming at me faster. and when i kill nanites i can kill more just out of range instead of broad siding them getting eatin by all the npc.
Lt. Commander
# 22
03-27-2012, 11:48 PM
If you are going all beam arrays go for the polarized tetryon.

However, you never said what space set you will be using.

For me in my Anniversary Odyssey I used to run polaron beam with the Jemhadar set. You get the 2 +26% damage boost plus the 7.5% damage boost plus the +10 weapon energy boost. I ran 2 DBB and 2 Arrays front and 4 arrays rear.

My experiments showed that 6 beams will do practically the same damage as 8 beams does over a 4 shot volley. (The difference was around 200-300damage) so I went with 6 and put 2 DBB up front for extra damage with the Beam Overload. BO with full buffs and 125 power can do 15-30k damage with a DBB. Make sure that the 2 left slots are the DBB so they fire first in the autofire sequence.

I say used to because I just finished my mk XII Omega set and switched to that and tetryon mk XII [borg] weapon set. This time with 8 arrays.

This is because the mk XII tetryon glider lets me do 50-60 damage to shields no buff (equal to 500-600 damage) with every energy weapon damage. This is like having 14 arrays firing. or I do 200-250 shield damage with full buffs. (equal to 2000 to 2500 damage). This lets me drop shields very quickly.

As to why I use 8 arrays, it's for fire at will. 8 arrays allows me to hit more ships with that skill allowing me to drop shields on more ships faster. With FAW 1 and 2 I can fire off one of them every 15 seconds.

I use the tetryon mk XII borg weapon set so that I don't sacrifice the random 1k anti borg proc. The extra procs on a polarzed tetryon weapon is less important than that extra 1 k damage as that damage is not reduced by anything and the tetryon glider is already good enough.
Lt. Commander
# 23
03-28-2012, 04:43 AM
Galen, I think Ill start grinding the New Link now.
Those numbers are impressive.

On my intrepid, I tried the Jem'Hadar set, but I just couldnt give up the 3 set borg heal. Ive changed up some consoles and abilities since then, so maybe Ill give it another try.

I didnt know you could control which beam got used for the BO. You are saying if I have a DBB in the left slot of the 4 weapons slots, Beam Overload will wait until all weapon cycles are finished, then use the DBB? Are you using BO III? Because rank II gets only around 10k for me.
Lt. Commander
# 24
03-28-2012, 04:55 AM
Quote:
That's not a beam boat.

A beam boat is all beams.
No, a beam boat doesn't use all beams. There's just no reason to since the first patch, the day 45 patch.
Lt. Commander
# 25
03-28-2012, 04:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarek2165
So the other weapons consoles don't stack? I have two +26 phaser relays. That would be +52 if they do stack, and 52 > 36.
They do indeed stack. But here's the thing. You use two phaser relays. That's 52 to the phaser. And 0 to the Polaron thing you're using when you split your weapon setup into MULTIPLE energy beam arrays. If you plan to use all phasers then sure, +Phaser is the way to go.

But once you start mixing up multiple beam energies, you need to just use +Energy consoles.
Lt. Commander
# 26
03-28-2012, 11:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlmystic View Post
a beam boat to most people is 6-8 beams with torpedos filling any empty slots.
Quote:
Originally Posted by superchum View Post
No, a beam boat doesn't use all beams. There's just no reason to since the first patch, the day 45 patch.
The origins of the Gunboat: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gunboat
If you have something other than guns, it is not a gunboat.

Similarly, if you have something other than beams is not a beam boat. What you would have, is a classic weapon loadout or configuration.

Quote:
They do indeed stack. But here's the thing. You use two phaser relays. That's 52 to the phaser. And 0 to the Polaron thing you're using when you split your weapon setup into MULTIPLE energy beam arrays. If you plan to use all phasers then sure, +Phaser is the way to go.

But once you start mixing up multiple beam energies, you need to just use +Energy consoles.
The procs aren't worth the reduction in damage though.
Lt. Commander
# 27
03-28-2012, 11:14 AM
Quote:
The origins of the Gunboat: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gunboat
If you have something other than guns, it is not a gunboat.

Similarly, if you have something other than beams is not a beam boat. What you would have, is a classic weapon loadout or configuration.

The procs aren't worth the reduction in damage though.
sense you no make. "Gun" in the case you linked, would be more akin to a torpedo in game than a beam.

See Ironclad.

And again beam boat is 6-8 and has been 6-8 and will be 6-8 regardless of what you personally think.

testing has shown that even at 125 weapon power that 8th beam is a wasted weapon slot. throwing a torp in there with give you a nice burst damage finish.
Lt. Commander
# 28
03-28-2012, 11:22 AM
Quote:

I am using all phasers. The whole phaser/polaron thing was before my current setup.
Actually, right now I'm playing around with Tetryons, just to see what they can do. It's interesting.

The only way to know is to learn, and I'm a trying!
Lt. Commander
# 29
03-29-2012, 04:29 AM
Your choices are basically between Phaser and Tetryon, if you are boosting FlwC, then Tetryon would be the best, however a lucky phaser proc will allot a whole host of torpedos to hit the target.

If no preference, then which ever is cheeper in terms of EC from the AH
Lt. Commander
# 30
03-29-2012, 04:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarek2165
I am using all phasers. The whole phaser/polaron thing was before my current setup.
Actually, right now I'm playing around with Tetryons, just to see what they can do. It's interesting.

The only way to know is to learn, and I'm a trying!
The reason I even responded to your quote in the first place was you wrote this:

Quote:
I've also had good luck with a phaser/polaron hybrid, though it costs you two console slots (you'll want a respective booster console for each).
And as stated, the setup you were supporting in that comment is a bad use of consoles. If you had posted then that you were using all phasers, the discussion would have gone differently.