Lt. Commander
# 1 Borg Encounter - Plasma Bolts
04-10-2012, 12:52 PM
Hey, all -

For a while I seemed to be doing just fine against Borg encounter plasma bolt strikes, usually avoiding them and managing to tank everything else as I rained antiproton fire on their mother ships. However, over the last week or so it seems, I keep on getting hit with the Unimatrix's plasma bolts. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong - when I see them I either hit Evasive Maneuvers or Beam Fire At Will. This used to work. It doesn't anymore, and I can't figure out why.

I'm using an Odyssey and a Sovereign. The Sovereign is MUCH more nimble than the Ody, playing on Normal difficulty. I am under no illusions about surviving the strikes, since I believe they're in the 200K+ HP range - no one can tank that - so I need to evade or shoot them down.

I'd appreciate any help - just exploding really ruins my mood (difficult to be immersed when you're supposed to be dead, and I'm not playing an arcade game here), so being insta-killed every time doesn't help it much, especially when I lose saucer sep and the Ody becomes a brick in space.

Thank you for any help you can provide.
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-10-2012, 02:07 PM
1.- Destroy all the probes with the command ship.
2.- Place your ship centered just a couple km over the command ship, and stop engines. Broadside facing both "hangars".
3.- Use Beam Fire at Will when a Plasma Bolt shows up in your fire range.
4.- Keep firing to the command ship or any probe that can go near to you.
5.- Profit.

The only difference with some weeks ago, is the "broken" FAW accuracy. You will miss a lot of shots against the Plasma Bolt due its high defense, but is still working. Just don't sit next to where they appear.

Kinda like:

-----O-----
>==X==<