Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Builds, Powers, and Game Mechanics
Login

Lt. Commander
# 11
03-28-2012, 10:56 AM
Mine's are useless and pointless.

IF they were changed so that upon activation they'd home in on anything hostile out to 5km range they'd be useful. But a 1km range? Thats just plain silly.
Lt. Commander
# 12
04-02-2012, 09:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilawpilath View Post
I'm afraid I have to disagree. Because the Torpedo Damage is buffed and then the number of torpedoes is increased by the version of the High Yield.

High Yield 1 Launches 2 Torps instead of 1
High Yield 2 Launches 3 Torps instead of 1
High Yield 3 Launches 4 Torps instead of 1

All while increasing the Damage of the base torps, )

I don't think so. Pretty sure that the multiple torpedos are just to pretty graphics are for you to look at. "2" torps or "3" torps is irrelevant, what matters is total damage in the activation. If they decreased each torpedo by 50% and doubled the number of torpedos you'd be doing the same damage.

In summary, the "multiple torpedos" is an abstraction to make sense of doing more damage.
Lt. Commander
# 13
04-03-2012, 07:39 PM
i could only see mines as useful if you couldn't target them anymore. you cant target torpedoes, even with high yield and spread, with the 2 exceptions of course. they cloak as soon as they launch, so its not like they clutter the screen anymore.
Lt. Commander
# 14
04-03-2012, 10:58 PM
heres how i would do mines

the patterns would be the same:
Alpha: a line of mines
Beta: a wall of mines

Make both available as soon as ensign with each rank adding more to the string or wall
Stronger stealth field and radically increase the speed in which they close in on the target and open the search range to 3km

(dont know if this is already doable been a longtime since ive played with mines)
have upto two pattern deployments of mines

but thats my two cents
Lt. Commander
# 15
04-04-2012, 06:03 AM
Nope. If you go over your combat log in game you will see the individual torpedo hits doing damage from a high yield or spread attack. Each one has its own chance to hit, miss or critical. I say this because from reading the log I have seen different outcomes for each torpedo.
Lt. Commander
# 16
04-06-2012, 08:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thissler
Nope. If you go over your combat log in game you will see the individual torpedo hits doing damage from a high yield or spread attack. Each one has its own chance to hit, miss or critical. I say this because from reading the log I have seen different outcomes for each torpedo.

But is the value of the torpedo less or more than a single torpedo?
Lt. Commander
# 17
04-06-2012, 09:25 AM
The only mines I've ever thought as remotely useful (as in, worth equipping) are the cloaking tractor beam mines, and those don't deal any damage.
Lt. Commander
# 18
04-06-2012, 10:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by krenlik View Post
But is the value of the torpedo less or more than a single torpedo?
Think of it like this:

your torp does 1k damage, hy i increaes that too 1500. but its split int otwo 750 torps, and each of those 2 can have a chance to crit and do more damage.

This is not the actual math, but the basic principle.

More shos at lesss damage per shot but with overal lhigher damahe once all shots have hit, + more crit chances.

Spread works essentialy the same, excpet you again trade in some more domage against a target hit, but you get to hit multiple targets multiple times.
Lt. Commander
# 19
04-06-2012, 11:06 AM
There is the fact that you can have multiple layers of mines out at once, and that if an enemy does fly through them, they all hit close to at once, which means more of a burst effect than multiple torpedo volleys, especially since they are rear arc rather than forward (meaning they can deploy when you are using forward weaponry and any rear arc torp wouldn't have a target).

To me, that makes a turret the better comparison, at least as to weapon type.
Lt. Commander
# 20
04-08-2012, 03:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by claydermunch View Post
Think of it like this:

your torp does 1k damage, hy i increaes that too 1500. but its split int otwo 750 torps, and each of those 2 can have a chance to crit and do more damage.

This is not the actual math, but the basic principle.

More shos at lesss damage per shot but with overal lhigher damahe once all shots have hit, + more crit chances.

Spread works essentialy the same, excpet you again trade in some more domage against a target hit, but you get to hit multiple targets multiple times.
Torpedo: Spread works more like your first description because it turns the torps into more of an AOE between 3 Torpedoes vs a target's location and what's around him.

Torpedo High Yield does not. It Buffs the Base Torpedo and then gives you 1, 2, or 3 Free ones at the damage increase they are given when they launch. Meaning if you use a Torpedo High Yield 1, and lets use your example and say it gave A torpedo doing 1,000 Dmg an extra 500 Damage. Then Fires 2 Torpedoes. Both of those torpedoes are at 1,500 each. Not 750 each.