Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Ten Forward
Login

Lt. Commander
# 21
03-27-2012, 05:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by discovery7810
Does anyone realize the possibility that comes with FUSION energy?
I took a course in Environmental Physics once. We were talking about long-term energy sources for the planet. We talked about how long any particular source could sustain us. There was a chart that showed how many years each source could last if it had to power the planet by itself. And I'm trying to recall these numbers from memory, so don't quote them to anyone. :p

Fission was surprisingly low, it would only last about 30 years because fissible material gets to be impractically expensive to gather after that amount of time. Breeder reactors (there are several types, some quite safe) would extend that number by quite a bit, but they're no-no's because they can be used to make bombs.

Natural gas would last about the same -- 30 years.

Coal would last 100-200 years, assuming deposits kept being found.

Solar/Wind/Bio energy of course would last forever, but the initial investment is very high.

Fusion we didn't really pay too much attention to. It always seems to be one of those ideas that's always just a few years away. The fuel supply is very nice though. If you calculate the amount of deuterium estimated to be in the ocean, it could sustain the world total power output for 40,000 years. At time scales like that, it might replenish by itself for all we know. Definitely would be a day of celebration if they can get it working. It would ease the minds of many a men.

But like I said, don't get too excited until it happens. Even if they reach the breakeven point, they'll have to improve it further before they can get a reasonable amount of energy out for it to be worthwhile.
Lt. Commander
# 22
03-27-2012, 10:19 PM
Quote:
I know they have built one I mean I'm excited because there's already one working fusion reactor
[...]
The article in the OP reports about computer simulations, not an actually working net-energy-output reactor.
Lt. Commander
# 23
03-27-2012, 10:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophlogimo
The article in the OP reports about computer simulations, not an actually working net-energy-output reactor.
Yeah but I also wrote about seeing a RL fusion reactor in tv in my original posting.
Lt. Commander
# 24
03-28-2012, 04:58 AM
Quote:
Yeah but I also wrote about seeing a RL fusion reactor in tv in my original posting.
Yes, unfortunatly it only works for seconds at a time. Apparently, long term operation (more than a few minutes) can cause Neutron embrittlement into teh surrounding pressure structure and other parts, and the last thing ou want embrittled is the pressure vessel.
Lt. Commander
# 25
03-28-2012, 05:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPTWinters
Yes, unfortunatly it only works for seconds at a time. Apparently, long term operation (more than a few minutes) can cause Neutron embrittlement into teh surrounding pressure structure and other parts, and the last thing ou want embrittled is the pressure vessel.
We so excited!
Lt. Commander
# 26
03-28-2012, 06:00 AM
Quote:
Yeah Yahoo then again is not exactly a news agency and what journalism when it comes to Yahoo?:p
They just copy paste stuffs from elsewhere. or link them directly.
The article isn't from Yahoo. As stated, it's a repost. From livescience.com.
Lt. Commander
# 27
03-28-2012, 06:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chat
We so excited!
Much negativity?

I'm still excited, I knew the fusion couldn't last long but it still happened in a controlled environment. That is the phenomenon u see in our sun happening in a controlled environment by our scientists. And the generated plasma is still hotter than the sun's core.

Quote:
Originally Posted by superchum View Post
The article isn't from Yahoo. As stated, it's a repost. From livescience.com.

Yeah just like I wrote either Yahoo linked it or they just copy the article and posted it on their homepage.
Lt. Commander
# 28
03-28-2012, 11:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPTWinters
This would be the next goal to work towards after getting a reliable energy surplus--finding ways to keep it operating for long enough to be useful as a permanent power source. We can live with having to shut down the reactor and refit its innards every few months--we already do that every few years with fission reactors.
Lt. Commander
# 29
03-28-2012, 07:44 PM
To the OP, we would me more excited about your link and the idea of Fusion reactors in general but your article is basic and bland and a second hand writ up that can be done with a quick look at Wikipedia.

sure one could talk about it all day but few can actually say were we are in our progress. Now This Report from a fraternity brother of mine who is on the team is working on the same problem but with a different approach. I am no Rocket Scientist but even just reading the cursory info in the paper you can get a idea of where they are going with this.

also to the posters about how we will never travial the stars, read this. My brother says that within the next 5 years they could have a system that could dilever somthing like 1.5 metric tons of Payload not including the mass of the rocket itself to mars in a month.

now do i understand all the article, hell no. so i dont expect others to eather, im just posting it here so you can REALLY read about what the cutting edge of fusion engine is.

just do as you would at a used car, pop the hood. go "hmmm interesting" kick the tires, and make small talk about it.
Lt. Commander
# 30
03-28-2012, 07:49 PM
-double-post-