Lt. Commander
# 1 Shield Console "Adjustment"
03-26-2012, 11:50 PM
Dev Team, I implore that you reconsider your thinking in adjusting the Shield Consoles from +35 to +18. Your actions will only antagonize the majority of the playerbase who have these consoles equipped for the sake of survivability.

I honestly do not understand why a nerf is necessary. If it's because of people stacking these shield consoles, then you should simply revert to where only 1 +35 console works.

Over the past year you have reduced shield effectiveness for balancing PvP, and it made STFs harder to do due to less protection. Then the changes to the skill system had made Engineering and Science consoles almost totally useless (people rather use C-store consoles than in-game consoles these days).

So I ask, please just leave well enough alone.
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-27-2012, 12:15 AM
I would like to second this post. Make the consoles unstack-able instead of making it so that you have to run more then one to get the same amount of shield bonus. Elite STF is hard enough to tank without losing another science console to something that I have to now run two of instead of just one.
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-27-2012, 12:54 AM
Thirded. this nerf was not needed. if you wanted to fix it you would have made them unique. one per ship.
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-27-2012, 04:13 AM
It is not normal this descapacitacion from 35 to 18 is 2 will be the sum of 36 is a point most of 35.Es very without sense would that have been a figure type 20 is more normal that the sum would be 40 5 points above.Really I don't understand 1 point is ridiculous.There is no need to be so drastic with cutting.Sorry for my English.
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-27-2012, 04:26 AM
Also, have fun flying science vessels with this nerf... So much for their survivability and innate shield bonus.

Cryptic wanted to make science console slots more useful, so they moved the Field Generator there. Fine. Now they expect us to use more of them to retain the shield capacity. Fail.

So... what's the point of flying science vessels again? Because the way I see it the science odyssey seems the only way to go for this profession right now...
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-27-2012, 04:59 AM
I've got the feeling that the stacking wasn't intended, as well as the 18% wasn't.

They were like:

dev1: 'press this button! what happened?!
dev2: 'omg shields cons' stack now!!!'
dev1: 'take it back!'
dev2: 'i can't!!! dunno how!!!'
dev1: 'omg! what do we do now!!! press the other button!!!'
dev2: 'what?!? shields are now at 18%?!? how did we do that?!?'
dev1: 'dunno?! what? where am i?'

dev1 walks to forum and posts. 'our dev team did a great job at balancing the game. everything was intended.'
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-27-2012, 05:12 AM
To be clear, this is NOT a PvP requested fix. Even though the console was too good, PvPers were content to deal with it when it was unique.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DecadeComplete
Thirded. this nerf was not needed. if you wanted to fix it you would have made them unique. one per ship.
This, or even stacking them with diminishing returns, might have been preferable.

As for Science ships, they still have innately higher shield caps. Stacking consoles doesn't change that since consoles aren't innate. A Science ship is still able to have higher shields than anyone else innately, and higher still thanks to their four console slots. The only thing that can come close to competing with the science ships innate capacity is that Oddy variant but that's the problem with P2W.

Again, yes it's a nerf but no it's not a PvPers fault. In general we think it's unnecessary too. That being said, my feelings wouldn't be hurt it they were gone all together.
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-27-2012, 05:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveHale View Post
To be clear, this is NOT a PvP requested fix. Even though the console was too good, PvPers were content to deal with it when it was unique.
It's a sad fact that a single PvPer would make a better systems designer than the entire Cryptic staff. Doesn't take a genius to figure out that if you make an item like the field generator

A. Absolutely, positively must have, and
B. Easily obtainable,

That you may as well just adjust the raw ship stats upwards by the same amount and save yourself the work. Unfortunately, Cryptic is completely incapable of following even the most basic rules of game design. The console will get nerfed because Cryptic is too stubborn to listen to the community, and when it is they'll lose a few more players. The sad thing is that all it takes is a modicum of intelligence to not put yourself in this kind of situation.
Lt. Commander
# 9
03-27-2012, 07:01 AM
Devs: Instead of taking the easy way out, why not just fix what what you broke? Make them unique again, and take them back to 35%.

I would be willing to wager that 95% of the players do not want this nerf.
Lt. Commander
# 10
03-27-2012, 07:06 AM
Do the devs think they're rock stars? That their wisdom is second to none? There's nothing unique or special about these game mechanics as they play much like WoW. Would blizzard devs make a move like this? F no. They would have done it right with a diminishing return mechanic.

So devs, why think this game is special? You want to design it like wow in space, you got to balance it as such.