Lt. Commander
# 1 STF wep layout
03-26-2012, 08:19 PM
What type of weapons are best for STF Elites these days?

I've been running mark Xll antiproton and transphasic cluster torp for a long time now, and while they usually serve me well, I feel I could do better.
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-27-2012, 12:32 AM
Antiproton is widely accepted as the best energy weapon type. For torpedoes, photons have the best DPS and quantums have the most reliable punch. Against unshielded targets, photons are best.

That being said, a lot of your dps is dependent on what type of ship you fly, your class, and your BOff powers, so it'd be easier to help you if you provided that info.
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-27-2012, 08:12 AM
Flying the original Oddy at the moment. ( goes without saying that I'm saving up to switch ).

I'm averaging about 900 damage per beam with no abilities in effect. about 1300-1500 with emerg to weps and attack pat alpha. I tend to keep my wep power at 100 percent at all times. And I'm running 5 beams, 1 turret, and a cluster torp in front and back.

I'm not really looking to make my ship solely a dps machine, just a dps machine for an Oddy.

( Forget about Oddy bashing, it's a tired argument. Fly what you have fun in. And for "The most ineffective ship in the game" it seems to help me carry 98 percent of every team I'm in these days. )
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-27-2012, 03:12 PM
Get a Torpedo XII. Photon or Quantum whichever you fancy.

They both have a garunteed 1000 rad damage on top of whatever they already do. Very useful.
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-27-2012, 05:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arden187 View Post
Flying the original Oddy at the moment. ( goes without saying that I'm saving up to switch ).

I'm averaging about 900 damage per beam with no abilities in effect. about 1300-1500 with emerg to weps and attack pat alpha. I tend to keep my wep power at 100 percent at all times. And I'm running 5 beams, 1 turret, and a cluster torp in front and back.

I'm not really looking to make my ship solely a dps machine, just a dps machine for an Oddy.

( Forget about Oddy bashing, it's a tired argument. Fly what you have fun in. And for "The most ineffective ship in the game" it seems to help me carry 98 percent of every team I'm in these days. )
It's not the ship, it's the captains who are ineffective. There are a lot of people out there who think the Odyssey is a flying I win boat.

As the other guy said Mk 12 [Borg] Torps have 1000 Damage to Borg NPC's but they come in all the Torp flavours, if you like Transphasics use em.
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-27-2012, 06:16 PM
So is the cluster torp ineffective?
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-27-2012, 06:18 PM
You could run a machine geared more for frontal attacks for better Dps. Simply running 3dbb a torp and 4 turrets would increase your Dps. If you ran a tac in the lc you could have 3 single cannon, a dbb, and turrets with a bo3, 2 copies of crf or scatter and 2 tac teams. Running AuxSIF3, epts 2+3, eptw 1, tss2, and he1x2 will keep you plenty alive in strew.
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-27-2012, 06:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by amuneli
Antiproton is widely accepted as the best energy weapon type. For torpedoes, photons have the best DPS and quantums have the most reliable punch. Against unshielded targets, photons are best.
Usually... but how does this change with (for example) a purple and a blue Projectile Weapons doff reloading your torpedoes faster?
Lt. Commander
# 9
03-27-2012, 06:34 PM
My mistake didn't see you mention the Cluster Torp, I still see it a lot in Elite STFs.
Lt. Commander
# 10
03-28-2012, 12:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MandoKnight View Post
Usually... but how does this change with (for example) a purple and a blue Projectile Weapons doff reloading your torpedoes faster?
It strongly shifts the balance in favor of Quantums. Depending on your boff setup, the extra punch of Quantums in something like a torp spread may be more useful no matter the projectile doffs you're using, but it's been a while since I've used torps at all to test ._.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arden187
... transphasic ...
The main issue with transphasics in STFs is that their benefit is shield penetration with the tradeoff of lesser damage. However, a lot of objectives in STFs (Nanite gens/transformers, gates, the cube healers in Cure) have no shields, and the Borg with shields are primarily hull tankers. The transphasic special ability is thus mostly wasted, leading to a much less optimal use of that weapons slot. A photon or quantum (or maybe plasma?) would serve far better in the damaging role.