Lt. Commander
# 1 Console Making How-To
03-28-2012, 09:36 AM
Since it seems like at least half of the questions in this forum and in the DOFFJOBS channel are HOW I MINE FOR CONSOLE? I figured I'd put together a quick how-to that can be referenced on making consoles. Here goes!

Step 1: Find the assignment "Negotiate Delivery of Rare Commodities."

It's an green trade assignment that will show up in any of the three Cardassian sector blocks (Beta Ursae, Alpha Trianguli, and Zeta Andromedae) or their attached exploration zones (Rolor Nebula, Betreka Nebula, and Zenas Expanse). You need to be level 40 to see this assignment. It's a 4 hour assignment, requires 3 Jevonite and 3 Shapeshifting Lockets, and needs 2 DOffs. It doesn't really matter what you send because you'll get the artifact even on disaster, but Trader gives success and Cunning and Resolve give critical success (critical success still only results in 1 artifact).

This will reward you with 1 Strange Alien Artifact

Step 2: Get the assignment "Decipher Strange Markings on Alien Artifact."

This assignment can always be found shipboard from your science officer; talk to him and select special projects and he'll have it for you. It's a 4 hour assignment, requiring a Research Lab Scientist.

You don't get anything from this step other than a little bit of cxp, and you won't have to repeat it when crafting additional consoles.

Step 3: Get the assignment "Infuse Alien Artifact with Rare Particles."

This assignment can always be found shipboard from your science officer; talk to him and select special projects and he'll have it for you. It's a 4 hour assignment, requiring the Strange Alien Artifact you got from the previous step and 1 of each particle trace, and 1 Development Lab Scientist and 1 other science DOff. Like with the last step you can throw white doffs at it and have them both die in a disaster and still get the powered artifact, but Development Lab Scientist gives success and Efficient and Resolve give critical success (again, critical success is just more cxp, not an extra artifact).

The particle traces you need are:
Antithoron, Anyon, Beta-Tachyon, Chronometric, Dekyon, Duderon, Methogenic, Metreon, Trianium, and Vertion

This will reward you with 1 Powered Alien Artifact

Step 4: Get the assignment "Fabricate Prototype Console from Alien Artifact."

This assignment can always be found shipboard from your engineering officer; talk to her and select assemble prototypes and then prototype console. It's a 4 hour assignment, requiring the Powered Alien Artifact you got from the previous step and 5 non-civilian DOffs that have the resolve trait.

This is the step where the DOffs you send on the assignment actually matter, as their traits and quality will increase your chances of getting a higher quality console. All of the DOffs used for this mission must have the resolve trait (which means Bajorans and Cardassians for Fed, Ferasans and Cardassians for KDF) and can't be civilians. Being from engineering will increase the chance of a blue console and having efficient, cunning, and stubborn will increase the chance of a purple console. Having unruly will increase green (failure) chance, so avoid those DOffs. If you need resolve DOffs your options are consulate chains which lead to officer exchange assignments, buying Gamma Quadrant cadres, or buying individual DOffs from the exchange.

This will reward you with your console! If you're lucky you'll get a purple Antiproton Mag Regulator, if you're me you'll get green Sensor Probes. There's no way to influence what console you get, all you can do is use better DOffs to increase your chances at higher quality consoles.

Repeat: Find the assignment "Negotiate Additional Delivery of Rare Commodities."

This is a repeatable version of step 1. It has all the same requirements, shows up in the same sectors, and will reward a new Strange Alien Artifact to use in steps 3 and 4. It currently has a 3-day cooldown.

TL;DR
1) Negotiate Delivery of Rare Commodities from Cardassian space
2) Decipher Strange Markings on Alien Artifact from your science officer
3) Infuse Alien Artifact with Rare Particles from your science officer
4) Fabricate Prototype Console from Alien Artifact from your engineering officer
5) ???
6) Profit!
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-28-2012, 09:51 AM
Thanks for the guide.

Might want to mention that the first time through the chain, there is a "Decipher Strange Markings" step that you have to do before you can infuse it. Requires research lab scientist, and takes 4 hours.
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-28-2012, 09:55 AM
Does that step still exist? I guessed it had been removed with the patch, since the chain UI now only shows negotiate commodities as being the only step in the chain. I can't check myself, since all my dudes are already past that step.
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-28-2012, 10:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepantsparty
Does that step still exist? I guessed it had been removed with the patch, since the chain UI now only shows negotiate commodities as being the only step in the chain. I can't check myself, since all my dudes are already past that step.
Hmmm. I did the assignment on 3 characters this past weekend (yeah, it really would have saved me some time figuring all this out if you had posted this thread earlier :p). But I followed the chain as listed in the wiki, and I did the step 2/4 assignment from my scientist. I guess I should double check my chain list and see if it is still there now.
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-28-2012, 10:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinumbar
Hmmm. I did the assignment on 3 characters this past weekend (yeah, it really would have saved me some time figuring all this out if you had posted this thread earlier :p). But I followed the chain as listed in the wiki, and I did the step 2/4 assignment from my scientist. I guess I should double check my chain list and see if it is still there now.
This past weekend as in after the most recent patch, or before it?
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-28-2012, 10:18 AM
Quote:
This past weekend as in after the most recent patch, or before it?
It was Sunday, so after the patch (unless there was a patch I wasn't aware of). Unfortunately, i won't be able to login to check my chain until tonight. And I'm currently stuck at 4/4 as I am missing the required doffs.
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-28-2012, 10:21 AM
Gratitude pantsparty, I was wondering about the cooldown! So far I was able to make a rare injector assembly, power insulator, and a very rare prefire chamber. The last infused artifact I made ended up on the exchange for nearly 3 mil. I wanted to make something with it but was a little gun-shy after making the insulator.
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-28-2012, 10:23 AM
Quote:
It was Sunday, so after the patch (unless there was a patch I wasn't aware of). Unfortunately, i won't be able to login to check my chain until tonight. And I'm currently stuck at 4/4 as I am missing the required doffs.
If you started it this sunday and still needed to do the decipher strange marking step, then that answers my question. Was it also available from your sci officer, or did you have to search it out in personal like it had to be done before?
Lt. Commander
# 9
03-28-2012, 10:26 AM
Quote:
If you started it this sunday and still needed to do the decipher strange marking step, then that answers my question. Was it also available from your sci officer, or did you have to search it out in personal like it had to be done before?
I did it on my sci officer, but tbh, I didn't check my personal. I was so excited to get this going, that I made a bee-line for my ship interior.
Lt. Commander
# 10
03-28-2012, 10:28 AM
Quote:
I did it on my sci officer, but tbh, I didn't check my personal. I was so excited to get this going, that I made a bee-line for my ship interior.
Nah, that's cool. If it's consistently available from the sci officer that's way better. Previously we had to wait around and hope for it show up each reset in personal.

Thanks!