Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > The Art of Star Trek Online
Login

Lt. Commander
I don't know when this was added in but I really like the touch of detail.

One day, I put my ship into full impulse towards Earth in Sol System and I went AFK for a few seconds, the next thing I saw was the ship entering the atmosphere with the surface whooshing by and most of the screen was bright and burning.

Anyone else noticed this?

Dev team, nice touch on the detail. I hope this will be spread into other planets too. Maybe even letting ships dive into stars with awesome visual effect but kill off the crew and damage the ship in the process.
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-28-2012, 01:39 PM
Sounds like an effect that has been around since the start.
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-28-2012, 02:42 PM
Yup, that should happen on any planet you attempt to fly into.

If you find one that doesn't, let us know.
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-28-2012, 02:50 PM
Yeah, pretty sure it's been like this since I started playing...well, a bit under 800 days ago.
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-28-2012, 02:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumerboy View Post
Yup, that should happen on any planet you attempt to fly into.

If you find one that doesn't, let us know.
For the sake of "testing for atmosphere", are their visual cues that a "planet" should have atmosphere and which "moons" shouldn't?
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-28-2012, 03:07 PM
During STO's Closed Beta, running into the atmosphere of a planet and getting turbulence was really cool at first.

But then someone on the forums made a thread about this back in the day: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3muhl...eature=related

Watch it if you want to see something really spectacular. Talk about a crowning achievement for environment art. I can only imagine what "exploring new worlds" in STO would be like with a seamless transition from space to exploring a planet's surface.
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-28-2012, 03:10 PM
Yeah its been around since launch. I must admit it was a bit of a shock when I first did this, and disappointed that I just sat there.

There should be a warning at a certain point giving you the oppertunity to pull up.

If you don't, then your ship should explode.
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-28-2012, 04:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirror-Master
During STO's Closed Beta, running into the atmosphere of a planet and getting turbulence was really cool at first.

But then someone on the forums made a thread about this back in the day: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3muhl...eature=related

Watch it if you want to see something really spectacular. Talk about a crowning achievement for environment art. I can only imagine what "exploring new worlds" in STO would be like with a seamless transition from space to exploring a planet's surface.
Thats amazing and done by one guy i think, just look at the Planet itself, so much better than STO's cartoon Planets.
Lt. Commander
# 9
03-29-2012, 08:25 AM
I've just try running into Qo'noS, but it didn't happen. My ship just stopped.
Lt. Commander
# 10
03-29-2012, 10:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirror-Master

...wow...
Yaknow, I was pretty happy with STO's planet/atmosphere/thing we have, til you posted that...
Come'on Tumerboy! Time to crank up them skills