Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > The Art of Star Trek Online
Login

Lt. Commander
# 11
03-29-2012, 01:00 PM
STO's game engine is great for certain aspects such as the space combat and most of the other aspects as well. The part were the engine really seems to push it's limitations is with loading new areas. Between the dynamic (on-demand) loading and just the general capability of the game engine I don't think they can technically reach that level of immersion, and not because the devs aren't capable, but the software isn't.

They might be able to place a landing pad or landing area on each map and then have a trigger zone around each planet that would detect if the ship is capable of landing on a planet or not and then have a landing/launch cut scene, but that would take some major reworking of many of the models, maps, and programming in general.

Maybe something that would be plausible would be to have a button/power tray option for placing the ship into geosynchronous orbit and then either having you go to your transporter room to beam down from there or when they do add shuttle bays have a cutscene that would show the shuttle launching/docking from the ship and then transferring to the loading of the maps. I know it wouldn't be the same level of immersion as what was on that video you posted, but it would still greatly add to what is already there.

I really hope a Dev sees this thread and explains if something along the lines of what was in the video or even some other suggestions like the one I gave would be possible and something they might or might not consider for the future and why or why not.

One thing I do agree on is that there needs to be some better type of a system for players and devs to really communicate back and forth. I've seen so many really good ideas on here that wouldn't be very hard or time consuming for them to add or even just tweak, but unless a dev stumbles on them in all the random posts they never get seen.
Lt. Commander
# 12
03-31-2012, 09:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by voicesinthedark View Post
They might be able to place a landing pad or landing area on each map and then have a trigger zone around each planet that would detect if the ship is capable of landing on a planet or not and then have a landing/launch cut scene, but that would take some major reworking of many of the models, maps, and programming in general.
These kinds of limitations were -exactly- why the TV series used teleportation: No expensive landing sequences...

Thing is, Cryptic seem unable to afford the time and effort required even to give us the alternative the TV series went with: meaningful ship interiors...
Lt. Commander
# 13
03-31-2012, 07:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumerboy View Post
Yup, that should happen on any planet you attempt to fly into.

If you find one that doesn't, let us know.
Qo'nos

/10 char