Lt. Commander
# 1 Enterprise E ownership?
03-28-2012, 04:35 PM
With all the talk about rights of ownership, if Paramount owns the film rights to Star trek and CBS owns the TV rights, wouldn't that make the Enterprise E Paramount's? Because it was never featured on television that i know of.
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-28-2012, 04:38 PM
Yes.... (strokes chin whiskers)

Must have negotiated special permission?
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-28-2012, 04:41 PM
its a dumb question but i was just wondering. most likely CBS owns everything that's in the films.
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-28-2012, 04:43 PM
Checkout this page for an interesting read ...

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Star...porate_history

Quote:
TV - CBS Television Distribution, CBS Paramount Network Television/CBS Television Studios, CBS Corporation (2005 present)
Viacom had purchased the CBS Corporation in 2000. They split in 2005. The old Viacom then became the CBS Corporation. Its holding Paramount Television became CBS Paramount Network Television. CBS Television Distribution formed soon after and took over distribution of past Star Trek shows. In 2009, CBS Paramount Network Television became CBS Television Studios; CBS Television Studios has production rights for new Trek series, though it has not (yet) produced any under that name.

Movies, DVDs - Paramount Pictures, Viacom (new) (2005 present)
In the 2005 Viacom/CBS split, the old Viacom became the CBS Corporation and a new Viacom was created. This new company owns Paramount Pictures which owns the Trek films. Paramount Pictures produced Star Trek under license from CBS Paramount Television. Paramount continues to also distribute DVDs of the TV series on behalf of CBS.
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-28-2012, 04:46 PM
oh, nice find. guess that answers that huh? thanks
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-28-2012, 06:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HollywoodTom
oh, nice find. guess that answers that huh? thanks
It created a few more questions for me than answers, but then hey, that's corporate legal jumbo for you.

I'm gathering the upshot is that anything produced up until 2005 (which would include every film up to and including Nemesis) CBS has shared rights to, which is why the 2009 reboot is out of bounds.
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-28-2012, 06:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koppenflak
It created a few more questions for me than answers, but then hey, that's corporate legal jumbo for you.

I'm gathering the upshot is that anything produced up until 2005 (which would include every film up to and including Nemesis) CBS has shared rights to, which is why the 2009 reboot is out of bounds.
Yeah it hurt my head a bit. Looks like a big mess to me.

"Just smile and wave boys, smile and wave ..."
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-28-2012, 11:38 PM
The way i see it is that Paramount cant do what they want with they movies, so long as it ok with CBS and who ever owns them. kind of like how cryptic has to ask to do something new in game. but i can be totally wrong..