Lt. Commander
Massively's STO Columnist Terilynn Shull recently visited Cryptic Studios to talk to the team. In this week's Captain's Log entry, she continues recapping her interview with Lead Designer Al Rivera.

Link to the news article.
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-02-2012, 01:35 PM
Quote:
Consequently, he says, it became very clear to the STO devs that they never wanted to place any such barriers to entry in the game. He admits that they do sell "more than just vanity items" in the C-store and that they "don't make any apologies for that, but [they] don't place any barriers on players." As he put it, "They can play everything in this game without having the need to buy anything." Yes, players can buy ships from their store, "but they don't need to" in order to play the game.
+1 not surprised

We do deserve an apology...after we were promised to solely have vanity items in the C-store...

And guess what...those new ships have console that you can't get unless you take the fast way in paying cash or the long grind with dilithium. Those consoles can be a pain in the captain's quarters in pvp...The C-store shall continue to devide us and Cryptic could care less because ony a small minority will stand up to their wrong doing.

Cryotic needs to think like a CUSTOMER for once...not a greedy ferengi.

I thank you once more Massively for giving us more proof.
Lt. Commander
# 3 Yeah whatever
04-02-2012, 01:58 PM
Ref. players not needing the +1 anything to play the game ~ But what about if you want to compete???

Yes by that same argument ... when your plane is about to crash, and you jump out, it's suggested you put on your parachute. You don't need to, but it is suggested.
Lt. Commander
# 4
04-02-2012, 02:06 PM
So they are raising the level from 50 to 60 that sounds good
Lt. Commander
# 5
04-02-2012, 02:15 PM
the ability to translate in earned game currency into a usable form to purchase c-store ships/consoles means anyone willing to work for it in game can compete - work in game and buy or work real life and buy - the choice is yours.
Lt. Commander
# 6
04-02-2012, 02:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenor-Nyiad View Post
+1 not surprised

We do deserve an apology...after we were promised ot just have vanity items...

And guess what...those new ships have console that you can't get unless you take the fast way in paying cash or the long grind with dilithium. Those consoles can be a pain in the captain's quarters in pvp...The C-store shall continue to devide us and Cryptic could care less because ony a small minority will stand up to their wrong doing.

Crpytic needs to think like a CUSTOMER for once...not a greedy ferengi.

Since you can obtain C-store items without spending any of your own real money(through the dilithium exchange) then you have no valid complaint.
Lt. Commander
# 7
04-02-2012, 02:32 PM
Quote:
Rivera confirmed that there was some expressed concern that leveling actually occurred too quickly in the game. He reiterated that Cryptic was comfortable with the existing speed that players can level and that "it's OK to get people to the endgame, as it's what [Cryptic is] focusing on."
I find this comical on several levels
1 it was they who complained we leveled to fast.
2 it was they who then sped it up
3 it was they who then gave us an additional level path (which mind you I do like, But just want to point out)
4 What endgame? the version of End game we have is so ridiculous its not funny.
5 Focusing on end game would require you to release end game content. SINCE the begining of the game, you have not only not done this, you've actually made it worse.

At this point all I can say is yeah... ok... sure...

I don't believe you at all.
Lt. Commander
# 8
04-02-2012, 02:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenor-Nyiad View Post
+1 not surprised

We do deserve an apology...after we were promised to solely have vanity items in the C-store...

Crpytic needs to think like a CUSTOMER for once...not a greedy ferengi.

We all saw what was comming with the C-store though once they announced F2P. Even before then we had the dreadnaught. Cryptic has to put more than vanity items in the C-store in order for them to make any money in a F2P economy.

What needs to happen, is that Cryptc needs to honor its' commitments to the player base, and make all non-vanity items in the C-store free to gold members. (It'll never happen though)
Lt. Commander
# 9
04-02-2012, 03:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuui View Post
I find this comical on several levels
1 it was they who complained we leveled to fast.
2 it was they who then sped it up
3 it was they who then gave us an additional level path (which mind you I do like, But just want to point out)
4 What endgame? the version of End game we have is so ridiculous its not funny.
5 Focusing on end game would require you to release end game content. SINCE the begining of the game, you have not only not done this, you've actually made it worse.

At this point all I can say is yeah... ok... sure...

I don't believe you at all.
We did see a leak of a new stf though. As Borticus (I think thats Jermeys screen name) said, the Romulan Defender is part of a new 5 man mission that was accadently given a place in the Romulan spawn pool.

I'm hoping for 3 more Stfs that focus on the Romulan/Icoian relationship.
Lt. Commander
# 10
04-02-2012, 03:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sollaf View Post
We did see a leak of a new stf though. As Borticus (I think thats Jermeys screen name) said, the Romulan Defender is part of a new 5 man mission that was accadently given a place in the Romulan spawn pool.

I'm hoping for 3 more Stfs that focus on the Romulan/Icoian relationship.
doesn't mean its end game, and that would be what, the 3rd end game release in 2 years
the New STF's aren't new, they're jsut cut in half to make it seem like we have more.

its sorta like the leveling, they sped it up to make it seem like they have a ton of content. which, they don't.