Lt. Commander
# 21
03-29-2012, 06:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus92 View Post
I, for one, support the lockboxes, more money means more content. I also have enough self control to not spend beyond my means to acquire a piece of code.
more content for neverwinter.....wooohoooo!!!
Lt. Commander
# 22
03-29-2012, 06:51 PM
Having spent a few days on these forums now, I finally understand why the game is in the condition it is. CrypWEtic knows they have a captive audience of Star Trek fans who will apologize for, defend, and attempt to justify any action they take while simultaneously allowing themselves to be used as money generators by a company that is barely aware they exist. The problem with STO isn't the developers, it's the playerbase. That encapsulated segment of the playerbase that eats, sleeps, and breathes Star Trek and happily line up like gerbils to the feeding tube everytime any kind of garbage get's put in there. That's what's really wrong with this game. The deluded aplogetic denialists.
Lt. Commander
# 23
03-29-2012, 07:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkstocbr
Their accountants tell a different story

Apparently based on previous sales everyone loves them.
Must be all those closet buyers that just can't resist
Some (read: thousands) will see the announcement, say "OMG galor" and proceed to buy 50 keys from the c-store immediately.

I can see this now - evil PWE Ferengi drooling and snickering over us foolish human full impulse buying tendencies!
Lt. Commander
# 24
03-29-2012, 07:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmenara
Some (read: thousands) will see the announcement, say "OMG galor" and proceed to buy 50 keys from the c-store immediately.
I agree with your suggestion. Sell keys in lots of 50 :p
Lt. Commander
# 25
03-29-2012, 07:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapeldonut View Post
I was reading the calendar for April

I was SO EXCITED, the Klingons are getting some attention this month!

But then...

NO!! WHY GOD?!? WHY?!? I THOUGHT WE WERE DONE WITH THIS LOCK BOX CRAP!

Doesn't CRYPTIC understand that a majority of players (From what I've seen on forums) despises lock boxes?

That Horror- Themed episode sounds enticing though

Done with lockboxes? Did you really believe that? These lottery items have been such a big hit with the group with more dollars than ... well, they're not going anywhere. You can't count on episodes, you can't count on bug fixes, you can't count on customer support, but once a month - every month - we will see these lockboxes. Oh yes, they won't dare miss a deadline on these.
Lt. Commander
# 26
03-29-2012, 07:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koppenflak
I appreciate that, Askray. To each their own - I am in no position to tell people how to spend their money.

But my issue with them is the way they are pretty well shoved in our faces at every opportunity. It's like the mother who tries to spoon feed a toddler that keeps shirking away by saying "Heeeeere comes the aeroplane! Zooooooom!"

No matter how much positive spin Cryptic tries to put on the lockboxes (And Im not talking launcher splash screens, forums and dev blogs - I'm talking about flooding system space with the hideous things and spamming global chat with excited notifications of who won what) there is absolutely nothing they can do that will make them taste any better.

I'm a big fan of transparent marketing when it comes to game immersion, and this, sir... aint it.
And I understand the opposite side of the coin and feel that everyone has a valid point too

The spam in your face was, in my own opinion, overkill. I was glad it was moved to the chat box in the end but I'd rather of not seen it in the beginning. Again that is my own opinion.

Hopefully we won't have that this time around
Lt. Commander
# 27
03-29-2012, 08:19 PM
Ever since F2P was announced, Cryptic needed some way to get some cash from microtransactions. Lock boxes are here to stay and are a very good way of generating cash for Cryptic. Just look at the first lockbox. Quite a few people spent hundreds of dollars and maybe some reached a thousand for a Jem'Hadar ship. Others used it as a way to buy "gold" from Cryptic. A key on the exchange could get 1,000,000 credits. Red Presents had a higher price I think.
Lt. Commander
# 28
03-29-2012, 08:23 PM
Taking inspiration from some Klingon players I will keep track of how many lockboxes dumped over the course of that 'event'.
Lt. Commander
# 29
03-30-2012, 12:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapeldonut View Post
I was reading the calendar for April

I was SO EXCITED, the Klingons are getting some attention this month!

But then...

NO!! WHY GOD?!? WHY?!? I THOUGHT WE WERE DONE WITH THIS LOCK BOX CRAP!

Doesn't CRYPTIC understand that a majority of players (From what I've seen on forums) despises lock boxes?

That Horror- Themed episode sounds enticing though
No, see this is it - Cryptic do understand things, and the lock box keys sell like nobody's business - they're mking good money on them.

Just because you (and for that matter, myself) aren't that bothered by them doesn't mean people are done with them - far from it.
Lt. Commander
# 30
03-30-2012, 05:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshenTech
more content for neverwinter.....wooohoooo!!!
My experiences in this game with this dev team have convinced me that I should not touch neverwinter with a 10 foot pole.

Which is a shame.