Lt. Commander
# 1 Cryptic, ???
03-29-2012, 06:00 PM
Ok. This is it. THE LAST STRAW. I swear to god I wish I'd never heard of this game. It crashes CONSTANTLY. Cryptic, it has been a friggin month and you haven't fixed it yet? You're saying that I just have to 'deal' with it? It must be my computer? Well, I'll be damded if I'm going to sit here and let them tell me this. Here are all the MMO's I can play without ANY PROBLEMS at all:

1. WOW
2. Cabal Online
3. FLYFF Online
4. StarCraft II (still req.s a lot of performance)
5. Minecraft

Those games have never crashed. EVER. They have never ever crashed. I can play them for 5 hours and they wont crash. BUT... I get on STO, pull up my friends list or do the wrong thing in a PvP and BAAAM! Down it goes. And of course there is the all too familiar "Cryptic Error" reporter that means absolutely nothing to me anymore. I hope you do not file this as rageing, because it is a sincere customer complaint. I want anyone else who has this problem to speak up because I want this to be the last time Cryptic sells a game to someone that can't even be played for a n extended length of time. That's what we call a trial. I SPENT MONEY ON IT. I expect it to work. Cryptic, If you even want me to even consider re-installing this "game", you will e-mail me when I can play the thing without a single problem.

I read the forums and notice that cryptic isnt too fast at removing bugs from the game, so I'm saying this now: You run a business. If you can not support the workload you have, you should just sell the company to someone who can, like sony or microsoft. Someone with more reputable integrity should handle this if you can't. And that is why... I say goodby cryptic. I will not **** around with you anymore. IT'S DONE.

--- All replies to this post will go un-acknowledged by the OP ---
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-29-2012, 07:27 PM
I play STO everyday for over 6 hours and I can tell you that 90% of the times it nevers crash.

Even if other games dont crash for you, STO is still "young" because of F2P and must still need to be done.

Besides that, you probably should do a check up on your PC. Just because STO crashes for you and other games are ok, that does not mean the problem is STO.

Crashes can be caused by many things external to the game design.
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-29-2012, 08:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kar_351
I play STO everyday for over 6 hours and I can tell you that 90% of the times it nevers crash.

Even if other games dont crash for you, STO is still "young" because of F2P and must still need to be done.

Besides that, you probably should do a check up on your PC. Just because STO crashes for you and other games are ok, that does not mean the problem is STO.

Crashes can be caused by many things external to the game design.

THIS. I was going to say the same thing. Thanks for covering that base first
Lt. Commander
# 4 CoutLoud, WTF?
03-29-2012, 08:16 PM
I've been playing daily on this old laptop for about 3 weeks since my destop computer was put out of action (spilt coffee in it)

Sony vaio vgn-nr21j/s
CPU: Dual-core T2330 1.60 Ghz
RAM: 1GB DDR2
VGA: Mobile Intel Graphics Media Accelerator X3100 358MB......lol

It's totally standard software, TOTALY underpowered for STO and has crashed only ONCE in these last few weeks. I am totally shocked how well/smooth everything goes.

Your just unlucky I guess.
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-29-2012, 08:47 PM
While I understand your frustration, many people can play STO without it crashing so it must be a PC issue and thus why this thread was moved.

Edit:

Per Cliff's request I've re-opened this thread
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-30-2012, 10:52 AM
As I said a few times in the other thread ( http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...d.php?t=256239 ), the issue is in the graphics driver.

I realize that we might be dealing with a laptop system where it's difficult or impossible to update or change the driver thanks to hardware vendors always being out of date, which is unfortunate.

Here's what happened when I went in to debug this issue (which at least a couple of other users are getting too)...

First, we looked at the call stack. The call stack is sent with every crash report, and any functions that can't be decoded into a symbol once they get to us just shows a hex address. At the top of the stack (right below the top most, actually) was some code that came from the Intel driver (igdumdx32.dll or igdumd32.dll, I can't remember exactly). It exploded on a "call eax" instruction. At that time the contents of eax was this: 0x54524554, so that's the address that was also at the very top of the call stack.

Below the Intel driver in the call stack was several frames pointing to code in the DirectX library.

Below that was our game code, attempting to issue a perfectly innocent draw call.

Fortunately, this bad value in eax is consistent between crashes, so it's not just calling some random piece of memory. Not only is it consistent between crashes, but it's consistent between crashes by all users on the 8.14 version of Intel's graphics driver. Even better is that it's consistent across other games where people use the 8.14 version of Intel's graphics driver.

Just have a look at a simple search for the address it was trying to jump to:
https://www.google.com/search?q=0x54524554

So I did a little bit of investigating to try to figure out where this came from. I booted up the game with the driver in a debugger and had a look at the first crash. Sure enough, it was trying to call some function starting at 0x54524554. (Crashing right enough on the call instruction.) Now I could back up a little and see where it got it from. IIRC it dereferenced edi to get eax (mov eax, [edi] or something similar). Checked edi, and the memory that it pointed to, and it's a giant block of strings. It keeps getting a part of some string saying "WRITERT_DD". What is TERT in ASCII?

84, 69, 82, 84

What is that flipped into little-endian byte order and in hex?

0x54, 0x52, 0x45, 0x54.

0x54524554. Your bad jump address. All of this happened inside the Intel driver. This driver was insulated from our code with the entire DirectX system. This crash does not happen for people on newer drivers, or people not on Intel. Furthermore, this string isn't even in our game. The string itself is even a part of the driver.

This is a problem with your video driver.
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-30-2012, 11:06 AM
Explained succinctly and thoroughly. Cliff, you really went the extra mile on that, sir!
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-30-2012, 11:13 AM
OP, if *that* answer isn't sufficiently thorough or explanatory... then I don't know what to tell you.

I've played MMOs for years, and that's the most thorough answer I've ever seen from a support member/ programmer/ debugger/ etc.
Lt. Commander
# 9
03-30-2012, 11:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrypticCliff
~snip~
Bam!
Lt. Commander
# 10
03-30-2012, 01:25 PM
indeed. boom. headshot!. nicely explained cliff - even i could follow that.