Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Ten Forward
Login

Lt. Commander
http://news.yahoo.com/nuclear-fusion...200610438.html

I just skimmed through the news but I have watched a tv episode where they actually testing nuclear fusion FOR REAL and it is doeable. The temperature of the generated plasma would exceed that of sun but it wouldn't melt anything since they tie the plasma on a circular magnetic rail. Something like that.

I just want to say it's looking AWESOME.

This might power a true starship!

SHIELD ON, lock on target!

Too bad I was born too early to see mankind's first true starship built. But FUSION is here! Unbelievable almost UFO like technology to mankind....I mean we still run primitive machines which run on flammable dead animal extract pretty much everywhere!
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-27-2012, 04:39 AM
Does anyone realize the possibility that comes with FUSION energy?

FUSION source of power is water yes the abundant water AND it generates no harmful waste to the environment(no radioactive waste and no CO2 waste that could harm the atmosphere)

FUSION is what is happening in STARS.

Now the existing FUSION reactor is already capable of creating plasma hotter than the temperature of the sun! IMAGINE this.

Remember Dr Octopus in spiderman? He said something about holding the power of the sun in his hands.
http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/1...gal_docock.jpg

Now they can generate more output power than the power needed to start fusion so if they keep on improving this efficiency we may see FUSION reactor generator. . Hopefully sooner than later.

That is just soooo cool.

Now if say fast forward some 100 years after the invention of the first practical fusion generator we may see fusion engine powering up our automobiles.

Forget about Ferrari or Bugatti. The [mini] power of the sun will power our private cars! I'd think tires will burst so we may have to fly instead rolling about on tarmac.

That is we don't kill each other with FUSION weapon before
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-27-2012, 05:17 AM
I guess the STO players are more interested in the color of their EVA suit, or hair tec.
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-27-2012, 05:28 AM
That's because it's not fun to think about our future sometimes.
This may be the only thing that could stop our inevitable post-oil collapse.

Fingers crossed.
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-27-2012, 05:32 AM
I fail to see the sensation in this?

Hot fusion tests have been running since decades ago. So far, even their proponents say that it will be costlier than present forms for energy production, simply due to the enormous amount of work and resources required to build a fusion reactor.
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-27-2012, 05:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pariahterra View Post
I guess the STO players are more interested in the color of their EVA suit, or hair tec.
I'll be interested once they got an actual working fusion generator.
So now I'll be raising one eyebrow and proclaiming "O rly?" at this... Erm... Test?

Until then I'll direct my interest at limited edition mayonnaise since at least that is something real and tangible. :p
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-27-2012, 05:50 AM
I remember the whole, cold fusion debacle at the University of Utah back in the 80's, for about a week the whole scientific community was sitting on the edge of their seats. Now that would have been something.
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-27-2012, 05:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithaqua
This may be the only thing that could stop our inevitable post-oil collapse.

Fingers crossed.
EXACTLY. The 19th and especially the 20th century have been the golden age of oil. Everything(or almost everything) that we have accomplished is basically due to oil. Our industries, our economy and thus our wealth even our military.....

Without oil I shudder to think how we are able to keep the luxuries that we are enjoying atm.

Without oil our economy will collapse! and with it our social and political system...the resulting chaos global and local....the casualties.....the starvation and sufferings from lack of access to work and earning money due to collapsing economy.

This fusion is that spark of light in a dark tunnel. That little hope to stay living as dignified and advanced civilizations that we are. The alternative is a long agonizing descends or a rapid one toward chaos. Without fusion we may be forced to rely on chemical energy(battery) which is very limtied atm and or a combination with bio-fuel. The latter will bring about starvation due to increased prices of food(staples).

If one cannot be even just a little excited on the prospect of fusion I'm afraid the person may be apathetic or has lost all hope with the future.

Of course there's fission still, advanced countries in the world are deciding to build more fission nuclear power plant to reduce their dependencies on oil. But fusion is clearly the superior choice of the two and a safer and friendlier one too. Just that it's still in infancy but it seems they are getting there.
Lt. Commander
# 9
03-27-2012, 06:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by discovery7810
If one cannot be even just a little excited on the prospect of fusion I'm afraid the person may be apathetic or has lost all hope with the future.
I simply prefer to get excited over more tangible things, like wave power or photovoltaic cells with better efficiency.

Does that make me apathetic or losing hope in the future?
Ok, sure why not, let's go with that carefully constructed observation! :p

There is no need to be hircine over people not sharing your enthusiasm, no?
Lt. Commander
# 10
03-27-2012, 06:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chat
I simply prefer to get excited over more tangible things, like wave power or photovoltaic cells with better efficiency.

Does that make me apathetic or losing hope in the future?
Ok, sure why not, let's go with that carefully constructed observation! :p

There is no need to be hircine over people not sharing your enthusiasm, no?
You don't get excited imagining man made plasma hotter than the temperature of the sun [core], moving,
circling inside a dome by magnetic shielding?

You don't?
Then why are you playing Star Trek? What r u doing in STO?

Don't say the gold pressed latinum you darn Ferengi :p

But if u say Orion babes in underwear you are forgiven Hell my away team now looks like a Victoria secret show with guns.