Lt. Commander
# 11
03-30-2012, 10:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuui View Post
right, so of course all PVP folks are perfect and its only PVE and you wonder why the PVP crowd gets a bad rap all the time? Personally, I wouldn't do it, I don't condone that behavior from ANYONE, but I can tell you that BOTH SIDES do it.

Don't complain about your rep and how folks view you when it is you that cause it.

Seriously, Address the problem don't create it. The problem is the people FROM ALL TYPE OF GAME PLAY that AFK in the STF's and the PVP matches. Both of which is not cool and should be worked on.
It's not that PvPers are perfect ... we're not. It's that someone who identifies themselves as a PvPer and is RECOGNIZED as a PvPer won't AFK. It's simply not in the nature of the beast.
Lt. Commander
# 12
03-30-2012, 10:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by virusdancer
There are games that have been trying to fight the AFK issue for 5 years or more... they're still losing that fight.

It's a shame, it's annoying... hey, now I've gone for a smoke in Ker'rat - but Ker'rat is a world of difference to an actual Arena/Capture and Hold scenario.

The behavior of certain players will force others to pre-form PUGs, join fleets, etc - in the hopes that if they go in with a group - then at least they can count on that group not being AFK.

Then again, the behavior of certain players will sometimes lead to the forming of AFK groups.
First off, damn it, if you go on a smoke break - you're afk. You should be kicked.

Second, (keyboard) inactivity timers work, if they're setup right, receives no damage, deals no damage, and it doesn't matter if you're in a team or not.

Third this game should have a majority vote / inactivity timer hybrid system to get the worst offenders out.
Lt. Commander
# 13
03-30-2012, 10:47 AM
Huge bias is obvious..

Is AFK'n a problem....yes.

Are all AFK'ers the generalized and sterotyped crowd that your are personally tagetting - no.
Lt. Commander
# 14
03-30-2012, 10:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdb2008 View Post
First off, damn it, if you go on a smoke break - you're afk. You should be kicked.

Second, (keyboard) inactivity timers work, if they're setup right, and it doesn't matter if you're in a team or not.

Third this game should have a majority vote / inactivity timer hybrid system to get the worst offenders out.
Then you have the problem of somebody sitting at the spawn and pressing epts every 5 mins to stay 'active'.

I like the vote to kick in principle, but I think the door is open for people to abuse in that case. People might be unjustly kicked, just because 2-3 people in the team don't like them.
Lt. Commander
# 15
03-30-2012, 10:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenor-Nyiad View Post
Are all AFK'ers the generalized and sterotyped crowd that your are personally tagetting - no.
All afk'ers that are afking in the situation I hilighted are, I believe, a part of the demographic I am targeting, yes.

AGAIN: All pve'ers are not the afk'er problem, but all afk'ers in a PVP arena are pve'ers.

It's not rocket science.
Lt. Commander
# 16
03-30-2012, 10:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdb2008 View Post
It's Ker'rat. It's broken. It takes one person a few minutes to do it. The other people there are just taking up space. There is a four minute cooldown between them. Etc, etc, etc, etc - Ker'rat is nothing like an Arena/C&H/STF/etc, etc, etc, etc.

Quote:
Second, (keyboard) inactivity timers work, if they're setup right, and it doesn't matter if you're in a team or not.
People bot them. They put some catnip on a secondary keyboard. They put a stapler on a button. Etc. They do not work.

Quote:
The majority can at times be... well, all sorts of impolite terms come to mind. Have you never been kicked from a group in any game where the Tank or the Healer has been acting a complete tool...you said something...and because of the potential wait times for a new Tank or Healer, you've been kicked? Not that the Tank or Healer could have been less of a tool - nope, just kicked.

I still say the best way to avoid this is to make friends and play with them - or at least make acquaintances and play with them.

Joe Random out there might be a nice guy - Joe Random out there might be a complete tool.
Lt. Commander
# 17
03-30-2012, 10:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_Trainor
In a pvp arena? I am 99.99% confident that these are pve'ers, lol. pvp'ers don't queue up to do nothing.

I recognise that the same breed grief stf etc in the same way, but not all pve'ers are the same. Sort of a not all pve'ers are afk'ers, but all afk'ers (in a pvp arena) are pve'ers. You get me?
No I don't because I doubt its true. an AFK'er is an AFK'er. The behavior in question is the problem not the game type.

Seriously IF you would stop being an elitist for a second and read what I'm saying, I support you, but without the generalization because its just not needed.

with that Generalization it is ALL PVP that AFK in STF's Since they must have the best gear. After all no SERIOUS STF'er worth his salt would ever do that, they wouldn't want to lose face....

do you see how ridiculous that sounds?

Now anyone who AFKs IN PVP or STF should be removed, the behavior isn't cool and shouldn't be rewarded, can we PLEASE get something to adress this behavior?

Do you see how much better that is. You will get more folks behind the cause. Why? because you don't alienate a MUCH LARGER portion of the game player base by making the generalization that you did.

Like I said, I support your idea, Punish those who AFK. It needs help. I don't support the unneeded Generalization. Nothing more or less. Just don't Generalize. The more folks you get to support you the better, and for the record, I too agree those who AFK from ANY game play intentionally should be punished since they are effecting others game play in a negative manner.
Lt. Commander
# 18
03-30-2012, 10:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by virusdancer
It's Ker'rat. It's broken. It takes one person a few minutes to do it. The other people there are just taking up space. There is a four minute cooldown between them. Etc, etc, etc, etc - Ker'rat is nothing like an Arena/C&H/STF/etc, etc, etc, etc.
I agree on this point, Kerrat is a mess and I could care less what people do or do not do in there.

That's why I think the best solution is for the Kerrat to be put back to haw it was before.
Lt. Commander
# 19
03-30-2012, 10:52 AM
Quote:
All afk'ers that are afking in the situation I hilighted are, I believe, a part of the demographic I am targeting, yes.

AGAIN: All pve'ers are not the afk'er problem, but all afk'ers in a PVP arena are pve'ers.

It's not rocket science.
It's not a logical conclusion either though.

The gist of what you're saying is that anybody that is PvPing for Dil is not actually PvPing - they are participating in PvE and thus are PvEers.
Lt. Commander
# 20
03-30-2012, 10:53 AM
Quote:
Picture the scene:
You're happily running through a mission, lets say... Ghost Ship, just as an example. All of a sudden a big mean pvp'er appears in your instance and proceds to kill you. You respawn and he kills you again etc... So now you're having immense diffciulty (near impossibility even) completing your mission.
there is like 100 star trek episodes that sound exactly like what you are talking about. so its canon.